Off Topic Playground

What is this page 5 thing? 

In essence Page 5 of the Warmachine and Hordes rule books basically says play like a total arse hole, be a dick, don't hold back, smash everyone and everything all the time. (Paraphrasing). 

OK after re-reading it it's not quite that bad, the problem is people choose to ignore Point 5 of the page and just play like dicks. Here' take a look. I took this screenshot from the free version of the rules they released a short while ago. 

Page%205.png

Keep in mind that you've posted a picture of "Page 5- Mk II".  In other words, that's the second edition (mark two)'s Page 5.

The original version of Page 5 was much much easier for people to use an excuse for bad behavior, and people who want an excuse for bad behavior can pretty much use anything to do so.  So you might expect that there was a bit of a Page Five problem, and given the propensity for wargamers to learn how to play by osmosis instead of actually reading the rulebook...  Well, let's just say that there are a lot of cases in Warmachine/Hordes where a rules problem can be solved by opening a rulebook and reading the rule aloud to the other player.  There are unfortunate cases where you have to do that, because the other player still thinks they're playing Mark I rules.  :(

What is this page 5 thing? 

In essence Page 5 of the Warmachine and Hordes rule books basically says play like a total arse hole, be a dick, don't hold back, smash everyone and everything all the time. (Paraphrasing). 

OK after re-reading it it's not quite that bad, the problem is people choose to ignore Point 5 of the page and just play like dicks. Here' take a look. I took this screenshot from the free version of the rules they released a short while ago. 

Page%205.png

Keep in mind that you've posted a picture of "Page 5- Mk II".  In other words, that's the second edition (mark two)'s Page 5.

The original version of Page 5 was much much easier for people to use an excuse for bad behavior, and people who want an excuse for bad behavior can pretty much use anything to do so.  So you might expect that there was a bit of a Page Five problem, and given the propensity for wargamers to learn how to play by osmosis instead of actually reading the rulebook...  Well, let's just say that there are a lot of cases in Warmachine/Hordes where a rules problem can be solved by opening a rulebook and reading the rule aloud to the other player.  There are unfortunate cases where you have to do that, because the other player still thinks they're playing Mark I rules.  :(

I've encountered this issue myself. I play against a few players who were big Mk I players and I'm constantly having to remind them they can't do a lot of the things they try to pull anymore. Still... it's a fun system and the recent errata PP put out helped curb some of the rampant filth that was abundant in certain factions. Seems like my beloved Cryx are getting the rough end of the stick though. The new focus on jacks/beasts and less infantrymachine means Cryx paperthin jacks wont cut it so much anymore. Not that they ever did to begin with :D

Look what Mason posted just now!  A list of the TTB characters you all will be able to choose from!

Catalina Ortega - Gunfighter
Lukas Zimmermann - Overseer
Marisa Del Olmo - Drudge
James Beckett - Graverobber
Dr. Alexei Sokoloff - Augmented
Roxana Vasilescu - Dabbler
Clover Briggs - Performer
Hiroto Suzuki - Wastrel
Clarence McCoy - Criminal
Selina Voklov - Mercenary
Harley Huston - Pioneer
Butako - Primal
Qiang Fan - Infiltrator
Vinh Pham - Tinkerer

Bit annoyed at the errata on lynch's woke up with a hand. Only 1/round means it's not really worth 2soulstones anymore.

Sorry to disappoint you buddy but that errata has been out for months and months. It was broke as hell before. It's still easily worth 2ss, I take it almost all the time. 

Shows how much I know! To be fair I tend to hit them with the hyprocrite trigger first for brilliance and then hand out 6 damage :P

And yes to a game - probaby better to arrange via FB :P

Also as to page 5, I've only ever seen it used as an excuse to be a douche. The issue I have with WMH is that n00bs get kerbstomped because they don't know what everything does and that this is an accepted part of the game. To be it just evidences bell-end-ery. I rather in malifaux where information is open and the audience is relatively mature and we tend to communicate.

Also as to page 5, I've only ever seen it used as an excuse to be a douche. The issue I have with WMH is that n00bs get kerbstomped because they don't know what everything does and that this is an accepted part of the game. To be it just evidences bell-end-ery. I rather in malifaux where information is open and the audience is relatively mature and we tend to communicate.

That's the problem with Warmahordes in my opinion: it's the acceptance that noobs will get a curb party and that's their initiation into the game. There just is no "casual play" with that game because that's how it's always been. 

Malifaux has it's problems too, with certain builds being too strong against newer players, but at least we get a cheat mechanic to avoid things.

And most players actually having the decency to not use them against newer players. 

Hamelin will stay in the box when facing noobs, as will the Malifaux Rat Shuffle.

Being that I'm the newest player I know within my group of friends who play, I've yet to really play anyone with less experience in the game than I.  That said, I've learned which Masters are the "casual friendly" and "not casual friendly" ones are.  But PD makes a great point about being able to play down the aggressiveness too.  Perdita is scary, but without Trick Shooting or Francisco, she's a decent contender.  Same goes for the Viks without "Synchronized Slaying".  It's just a matter of adjusting to the learning curve of the person you're playing against.