Did they fix Hamlin?

no, for being a douche bag.. of course its unsporting man.. whats the point in playing a hamelin player if the first activation put 100 rats on the bored, gain any card in the deck in their hand and kill all your crew... not really a game then...

Its true it takes all the fun and point out of the game... I wouldn't use no inifinity loop combo if I were using hamelin

Note; I would never use it.

I wouldn't disqualify them on the grounds of being overcompetitive! As someone who has played probably a lil over a 100 tournaments I've seen people bring le creme de la creme of filth, whilst I always strived to bring stuff people wanted to play against

If the situation arises where there's an impossible match up then usually the game takes place competitivley in 20-30 minutes then they have a friendly game after.

If there's an infinite loop in the rules then it's up to the makers of the game, or the tournament organisers if somethings being abused to change it. For an example, a certain model in LoTR got massively over-used and abused, until the events team at GW (Note; not an official FAQ or anything, so still gets used in non-GW events if the tourney organiser chooses), ruled it to 1 only.

I wouldn't ban him, nor expect him to be banned for doing such a thing, a stern talking to, dissaproval from the masses, a lyching and a tweak in the tourney rules, maybe.

If someone's willing to bring 100 rats, good on 'em for wasting their money. I bought 8 of said model mentioned earlier, at £18 a pop. and now have 7 useless ones after using them once.

At first I thought it would be an easy fix. I though Nix was required to turn it on. If that were the case, just making one of Nix's (0) actions a (1) would fix it. Then upon further investigation, I found Hamlin doesn't need Nix. So more than one model needs to go almost all the way back to the drawing board. This is frustrating because all of the things that attracted me (I like complicated stuff) are likely to change. They won't feel the same, they won't play the same. And as far as tournaments go, you can't expect players to restrict themselves. They're there to win. The burden of balance and fairness belongs to the game developers not the players or the event organizers.

So more than one model needs to go almost all the way back to the drawing board. This is frustrating because all of the things that attracted me (I like complicated stuff) are likely to change. They won't feel the same, they won't play the same.

Come on, isn't that a bit of an over-reaction? Just wait and see what happens with the rules.

It can be fixed. Something like when Hamelin is Killed or Sacrificed place him back in contact with a stolen on 10Wds, Hamelin counts as the same model.

No more 5 activations a turn. No more summoning 8 stolen etc.

Edited by Ratty

It can be fixed. Something like when Hamelin is Killed or Sacrificed place him back in contact with a stolen on 10Wds, Hamelin counts as the same model.

Yeah that really is the simplest fix, just add a provision into the offending ability that cancels out the abuse.

The solution for now is... well don't play with the abuse =) Thats what my group does *shrugs* it's obviously not functioning as intended. So we just play with the abuse canceled out.

Humm.. Just make it so it doesn't activate on sacrifices at all?

But yeah, simply healing him and removing the 'a' infront of Hamelins name would help aswell.

Even Go, which has an incredibly elegant and simple ruleset, still has a slightly klunky Ko rule to prevent an infinite game, and an even klunkier Superko rule.

It would be nice for Malifaux to have a generic Ko type rule to prevent all possible infinite combos, but I can't think of a way to word it, especially with semi-infinite combos built into the game (e.g. Rasputina's Biting Chill), and the golden rule that models special abilities override the general rules.

I think you pretty much just have to unofficially errata/ban them as they arise, and keep them as intellectual curiosities until their wording can be officially errata'd. Noone is seriously going to be allowed to win a tournament just by playing Hamelin and "pressing the win button".

I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to win tournaments. Obviously it would be the word of any Henchman running an event, but it's not an illegal move by any stretch. Sure, it's a jackwagon thing to do, but if it's legal, you can bet competitive players will be pushing those buttons.

I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to win tournaments. Obviously it would be the word of any Henchman running an event, but it's not an illegal move by any stretch. Sure, it's a jackwagon thing to do, but if it's legal, you can bet competitive players will be pushing those buttons.

First off, you've got the wrong word.

There's a huge difference between "competitive" and "stupid cheese d*ck assholes."

People can argue that because this is currently legal from a RAW written standpoint, they should be allowed to do it.

You shouldn't. It's still pathetic to do, and anyone using it to win a Tournament doesn't deserve any prize.

It is essentially cheating and should be looked at as such.

I'm a very competitive player, I win by being good.

I don't need exploit holes to do so.

Good players will never use the Infinite loop to win.