Basing Miniatures?

Jimdun

I have very limited experiences with basing miniatures and was wondering how I can step it up. I have heard and read about a lot of resources for basing but the best one I can find is that site Skullcrafts.com. I don't know if there are any reviews or walk throughs for the site but they don't provide any on the site. Has anyone used them before and are their kits easy to use? I mean really easy? Can you also tell me if there are any other companies out there doing the same thing as them who offer kits for doing more than just a few minis?

Never underestimate the power of outside for basing supplies! Rocks, twigs, seeds, small leaves/grasses, etc... Almost always require you to then paint them to make them look more miniature and not toooo realistic and out of line with the less realistic mini.

There are a ton of great products out there as well!!

Grass no.. but Gravel can do rocks for bases no problem.

Currently I am also looking for nice bases and have bought some of the Street Inserts.

How do people connect the minis to them though, vut off the base tab and pin? Or magnets? I'm thinking magnets myself as I need to be able to remove them from the bases for transfer.

There is also a bunch of resin bases or base inserts and Wyrd makes metal inserts as well - it might work for you depending on what theme you're looking for. Just get the base, then get some more basing material for that small "extra touch" and voila - you're done!

I've been using Dragon Forge, Fiendish Fabrications, Scibor Monstrous, Micro Art Studios bases and the Wyrd inserts, and I've been very happy with all of them. Not really economical if you need to base 200+ Goblins, but for 30-40 Malifaux miniatures it's quite affordable.

I've also heard good things about Dark Age and Enigma bases, but didn't have a chance to try them out myself yet.

Shocking as it may sound' date=' the stuff outside comes in ALL sizes.[/quote']

What's this outside people are talking about.. I don't understand. Are you claiming the myth about there being something outside these 4 walls is true?

I was always amused by the fact GW opened a store in the United Arab Emirates, and actually managed to sell sand to Arabs. I guess gamers are the same the world over, if it doesn't come in a nice little tub you can't use it.

Edited by Ratty

What's this outside people are talking about.. I don't understand. Are you claiming the myth about there being something outside these 4 walls is true?

I was always amused by the fact GW opened a store in the United Arab Emirates, and actually managed to sell sand to Arabs. I guess gamers are the same the world over, if it doesn't come in a nice little tub you can't use it.

lol so true, i have some of my minis on plane simple bark chippings (the type they put around the bases of trees) painted dark grey and dry brushed up, 90% of people that see them think there sculpted, and cant believe its good old bark from outside.

even had one guy ask me which shop i brought it from

• 2 weeks later...

They might be talking about that loading screen that you go through on your way to your LGS

Grass no.. but Gravel can do rocks for bases no problem.

Currently I am also looking for nice bases and have bought some of the Street Inserts.

How do people connect the minis to them though, vut off the base tab and pin? Or magnets? I'm thinking magnets myself as I need to be able to remove them from the bases for transfer.

the RARE EARTH type magnets work for SOME miniatures, as the size of the base-point is restrictive

but for the most part most folks PIN the model

Privateer Press makes an awsome pinning kit for $12.99 that includes a ver nice pin-vice, PLENTY of pinning stock and several pin drill bits