Transporting Minis

pigi314159

How do you guys transport your crews around? Some of my buddies bought the Battlefoam Malifaux bags, but my general impression is that the "standard" pre-cut slots are too small (Seamus doesn't fit, Ikiryo doesn't fit, Kirai barely fits, Colette doesn't fit, Belles stick out, etc.) and that the "large" pre-cut slots are the actual size I need. I have a hard time justifying buying something that is not going to fit a good chunk of my minis.

So what other options are there?

Sabol...although I tend to dislike pluck foam...

...and that's about all I'm aware of.

The problem with Battlefoam, as I see it, is that it works best if there's almost flush fit between the mini and the foam. That makes pre-cut trays somewhat problematic.

But if you order trays online, you can actually order them custom-cut to fit your exact model. Do they offer a chance to order custom-cut trays with their Malifaux bags?

There are quite a few options

and each in terms of quality, cost and quantity

you can do something as simple as a cardboard box with tin plate and magnets on the bottom of your figs

to something as robust as a full sized Battle Foam kit

I would scroll through Miniature Market's storage selection

I'm not promoting their site over anyone elses, they just have a well laid out site for looking atyour options

and see what might fit in your price range and storage needs

don't forget, for whatever you see, there IS another option of greater or lesser quality; the same goes for price

There are so many options, you really need to ask yourself what YOU need. Have all the Malifaux minis that exist or do you ever only carry one crew? Do you Haul around a rulebook/ruler/deck with your minis or do they sit on a shelf close to where you game? A guy at my local game store used to store his minis in egg crates in a giant tupperware container. Cost-$8, because the store provides space for storing minis. I carry mine in one of these, because I like having all of my Malifaux stuff in one place. Set a budget you won't be kicking yourself for later, because your needs may change in a few months.

The Wyrd Battlefoam bag is a very nice bag, it allows you to store everything for the game in one spot except for a tape measure. They do sell additional foam trays on their website. While expensive they make a great product, I highly recommend their foam.

There are other options out there, most of them are cheaper the Battlefoam, one company that I've had pretty good luck with is Sabol. They make wonderful, inexpensive bags, however there foam isnt all that good.

Basically it comes down to how much your willing to spend, I'd set a budget then work from there.

I have the battlefoam warmachine bag, and it's the "bees-knees!" It holds absolutely everything I could want or need in a bag, and the pre-cut foams actually make pulling my models out much easier and quicker than with traditional pluck foam.

I'm sold... perhaps the difference between the warmachine and malifaux bags is smaller spaces or models because i havent had any trouble.

For holding a few crews I use a small 2 layer bag from Feldherr (not sure if available in USA, but it's here http://www.wargamesworkshop.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?CatID=7&DivID=59&GrpID=603

Unfortunately it's now too small, so I'll be getting a new case - probably KR.

Edited by Clousseau
spelling

I personally hate most commercial products in this area. The bags are all soft-sided which makes me nervous and the GW hard cases have a big imperial eagle on the outside. And they're all way too expensive in my opinion. Sure, laser cut foam is really nice and a hell of a lot easier than cutting it by hand, but I'm on a budget here and I'd much rather spend my cash on more figures. I end up making my own.

Specifically for my Malifaux stuff, I just bought a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BXZ28K/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001BXWYR2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=16X2Z38D9JK482X719HC]Vaultz Locking Pencil Case[/ame] at my local Fred Meyer and lined it with foam from a Warmachine starter box. Works perfectly, looks great, and cost me $7. Now, I'm only carrying one crew at a time and I might need something bigger if I expand my crew to include many more figures, but for now it's a good and inexpensive solution. Or I might upgrade to the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Vaultz-Locking-Gadget-Accents-VZ01269/dp/B003FMHXD2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1283376625&sr=1-9]Locking Gadget Box[/ame] and use the smaller one for something else.

I use http://charonproductions.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=29&osCsid=9ec195c8c97f65450f7f3e5251e02650 It is a hip bag with lots of space and a pocket in the front that fits about 20 of the large hard sleeves I use for my guys. It carries both books comfortably, the cards easily... I should take some pictures of mine when I get home because the pictures on the website don't do it justice at all..... The website itself is a bit wacky right now, hrm...

Well all I use is a bisuit tin with the inside foam lined and I have magnets in each models base, with Wyrds minis I have had a bit more fun with some of the bases so some models are not going to fit in any foam carry case. All said and done though the Malifaux bag is very nice having seen a few local guys that have it and there is plenty of room for stuff in it too.

I'm thinking about getting a Malifaux bag (possibly two) and just provide a higher quality pluck foam (blade cut, not laser!) that suits my needs rather than the included trays, which I don't care for the looks of.

Right now I use a couple of deep trays of pluck foam and walk really carefully.

I use the old standard Army Transport

http://www.saboldesigns.net/armytransport.html

http://www.saboldesigns.net/armytransportmarkll.html

The 1 1/2 " trays are nicely deep enough for a lot of the minis

and the 2" and 2 1/2" ones are great.

The Malifaux bag was nice looking. Till I got to the insides.

The top tray is essentially useless, and the 1" tray not much better when you consider that the smallest base size is 5mm higher...

-Patrick

I use Sabol and GW cases mostly. I did just pick up a Malifaux bag this past weekend and I have to agree with the cut outs being a bit small.

Since I have a Gremlin gang the small tray actually works for me...otherwise it would have been pretty worthless.

The cut outs are really snug on the bases. I have to jam them in there in most cases. The Battlefoam foam is also really hard/coarse so I wince everytime I remove a figure.

I have to say Sabol wins for me. But I have a 6k Ork army spread out over four bags filled with Sabol foam so I'm a bit biased :D.

Had it not been for the resin bases I used on some of my figures I probably would have gone the metal tool box and magnets route. It's worked best for keeping my Warmachine models scratch free.

Wet?... hmmm... never thought about that... but how could it?...

When there is rain outside, youst using some plasticbags wrap it. :)

No thing about it... :)

And bouncing around with your Minibags you should not do either...

But ok.. lats say... this eggboxes work very good for its price... :D

I use a sabol bag and the battlefoam malifaux bag. I thought the first tray was going to be useless but all those ht 1 models fit really well and even a few of the ht 2 stuff. I have it more than half full already. I use the sabol bag mostly for my 50mm and 40mm figures. The 3" pluck foam tray really isn't big enough nor deep enough for me, although I'll likely be putting my warpigs into that foam along with hamlin (book 1 version).

I have to say I really do like the malifaux bag as an add on bag. It's not enough on its own but as a second bag its great. Holds my book and a couple decks and wet pens and rulers well. Then in the sabol bag I have a errata binder, extra decks, markers and the like. I keep the bag one tray short and put in my hard 3.5x5 sleeves with my cards on top in stacks.

I've posted what I use elsewhere on the forums, don't remember where. Its a 500count poker chip case with the dividers ripped out and one and a half sheets of 1" Sabol foam. 50mm bases wouldn't fit, but 40mm are fine.

I've been playing with magnets. I have an idea for a display base that I might work on. My problem is even with 4 magnets on a base, they slide around more than I'm comfortable with. Putting some sand paper between the base and the magnets helps a little, but one good knock and they still come loose. And you have to be careful to keep it right side up.

How do you guys transport your crews around? Some of my buddies bought the Battlefoam Malifaux bags, but my general impression is that the "standard" pre-cut slots are too small (Seamus doesn't fit, Ikiryo doesn't fit, Kirai barely fits, Colette doesn't fit, Belles stick out, etc.)

I just cut out one of the dividers in the small slots to make a medium slot. 2 small slots together hold almost any 40mm guy. That makes the bag a lot better. Though I still have 2 rows of the small slots for spiders, molemen and such.