What ? Why?

MagnustheJust

I had a game earlier today{my 2nd}, and one thing came up that still has me scratching my head...

Why in the bloody blue blazes do I need top see if I miss my target with a ranged attack BEFORE I see whether or not I hit??!?!??

This makes about as much sense to me as putting a screen door on an elephant's trunk!!

Someone... please explain the logic behind this to me, for I are cahnfoozled by dis...

I had a game earlier today{my 2nd}, and one thing came up that still has me scratching my head...

Why in the bloody blue blazes do I need top see if I miss my target with a ranged attack BEFORE I see whether or not I hit??!?!??

This makes about as much sense to me as putting a screen door on an elephant's trunk!!

Someone... please explain the logic behind this to me, for I are cahnfoozled by dis...

Could you elaborate a bit on what you're talking about?

Because if you miss it, you're not going to hit it. Would it make more sense to go "Nailed it, oh wait, I guess not."

Also, elephant screen doors work like the baleen in a whale's mouth. It's an amphibious upgrade. We're trying it out on hippos next.

Set up...

Large{adult?} Nephilim was engaged in melee with a Gremlin and a Warpig. I attempt to shoot the Nephilim with Som'er Teeth...

Why do I have to see if I miss before I even attempt to shoot????????????????????????????????????????????????

This makes as much sense as the Chewbacca defense...

you measure range, after you find out if they are in range you have to find out who you shoot in order to determine who the defender will be. they are in melee, they are moving round and round (think boxing) and you need to find out who you shoot before you find out if you hit as the person you shoot will be the defender, makes perfect sense.

Oh! Now that's some essential information.

You're not checking to see if you miss. You're checking to see which one the bullet will strike. They're all tussling around and maneuvering in combat and you let the bullet fly.

Game terms: so you check to see which will get in the way of the bullet. Now you know who'll be engaged with the hands of fate and start flipping the totals to see who has the highest total, to miss or hit. If fate frowned on you and you initially flipped your gremlin to be the target of the bullet, you have to flip for both So'mer Teeth's gun and your Gremlin to avoid it. Then you can cheat one or both of them since you control both (just cheating either one should get you the kind of result you want, though) and THAT would dictate whether you hit or miss.

Set up...

Large{adult?} Nephilim was engaged in melee with a Gremlin and a Warpig. I attempt to shoot the Nephilim with Som'er Teeth...

Why do I have to see if I miss before I even attempt to shoot????????????????????????????????????????????????

This makes as much sense as the Chewbacca defense...

You don't check to see if you miss. You check to see who the target is.

1.) Measure Range to the initial target in the melee.

2.) Then flip to determine who will be the defender.

3.) Perform the attack Duel.

Simple.

So it's a "let's see if I can hit the broad side of a barn" check...

Still makes little sense to me, as I personally would not take the shot unless it was clear...

Besides, aren't the defensive bonus to the target and the negative flip combined enough of a penalty?

What book are you reading??

If you fire into melee, you don't have a "clear" shot. You are firing into a tussle of bodies. They aren't just standing still waiting for your bullet to hit them.

The defensive bonus is just for the final target. They get +1 Df for each other model involved in the melee.

Where do you see the negative flip?

So it's a "let's see if I can hit the broad side of a barn" check...

Still makes little sense to me, as I personally would not take the shot unless it was clear...

Besides, aren't the defensive bonus to the target and the negative flip combined enough of a penalty?

You are firing into a melee, the combatants are not stationary. There is a chance you will hit a friendly figure instead of your target. Note that, since the Mature Nephilim is Ht 3 you flipped 2 cards for him and 1 card for the other 2 models. Whomever has the lowest card gets hit.

Exactly! Now you're getting it! As it most certainly is NOT clear, you shouldn't take the shot. Right!

Like, you come home after a long day's work to find an intruder grappling with your wife (or: significant other person in your life). On the floor near you is a pistol, discarded from their melee. You pick it up. The two continue their frantic wrestle, intending to kill or otherwise subdue their foe. You want to save the person you love and you could shoot the intruder, but you might accidentally hit the person you love.

What do you do?

That's what's happening in a battle of Malifaux. Sometimes your guy with the gun will take the shot. He's either desperate or might just not care (and/or you have the right cards in your hand to be sure you don't pop your own guy in the head - almost always you will have that card).

Or, as you put it, "I wouldn't take the shot unless it's clear." I agree. Only when I really, really MUST make that shot will I. I hate firing into melee just because the target might end up being my own dude.

Exactly! Now you're getting it! As it most certainly is NOT clear, you shouldn't take the shot. Right!

Like, you come home after a long day's work to find an intruder grappling with your wife. On the floor near you is a pistol, discarded from their melee. You pick it up. The two continue their frantic wrestle, intending to kill or otherwise subdue their foe. You want to save the person you love and you could shoot the intruder, but you might accidentally hit the person you love.

What do you do?

After being married for 9 years, I would close my eyes and empty the clip. (I wouldn't really do that...but it had to be said for comic reasons)