Joona's little evil creatures

Joona

Here are some pictures of the models I've been painting for the last month. I didn't have as much time and motivation to paint as I would have liked but I still managed to paint quite a lot in the end. Some more pictures can be found Here. Some of them turned out really nice, some not so good.

Som'er Teeth:

somerf.jpg

Gremlins:

grem2f.jpg

Piggy:

warpigf.jpg

Pandora:

pandoraf.jpg

Kade and Candy:

kadecandyf.jpg

Teddy:

teddyf.jpg

Group shots:

doracrew.jpg

somercrew.jpg

I still have plenty of unpainted models left. Next up are the Piglets and Whisperer. Then there's Rasputina waiting in a box and the rest of the Neverborn models are on their way. They will probably arrive next week...

Edited by Joona

Thanks. The light is a bit harsh, being a normal fluorescent office lamp. I've been considering buying some el cheapo lamps to get a more even lighting. I tend to use "natural" colours and I use various colours for highlights and shadows. For example I used P3 Ryn Flesh (probably my favorite skin colour ever) as a base for Kade's skin but I mixed some olive green and grey in it, a similar mixture was used for Candy too. Most of the browns for gremlins were shadowed with a mixture of dark green and brown. Som'er even has some purple in the mixture.

Your Teddy looks amazing. Also, how did you get that skin color for Kade? We tried to get something like that on my girlfriend's, but could never quite get it.

(Post #5 had some tips but here's a more specific version) Get a really pale skin color (in my case, P3 Ryn Flesh), mixing white into a darker one might work too. Mix in some olive/goblin green (P3 Ordic Olive) and some grey (P3 Ironhull Grey). Add the green first, just enough to get a bit zombiesh tone into the paint. Then add the grey so the colour looks a bit washed out. You might need a couple of tries to get it right. Paint the whole skin liberally with this, let it flow on the diaper and teddy too.

If you think it's not dark enough for shadowing, add a tiny dab of dark grey/black, add some water and apply to the recesses. With the original mix, start adding a little more of the skin colour to make the skin look a bit more healthy. Mix in enough water to make the paint flow well, not cover so much and make the blending a bit easier. Start painting with this mixture to everywhere but the darkest shadows. Then add some more skin tone and repeat, stay a bit farther away form the shadows with every layer of paint. A few layers helps to make it look smoother. When the paint mix still has some minor green-gray tinting, start adding white if you want to make the skin brighter (I didn't).

Getting the first mix right is probably the hardest part. You don't want to make it too green or he really will look like a zombie, not an evil demonic killer baby. The skin should look almost real but the shadowing makes it look all evil and wrong. Along with the giant knife and mutilated teddy. Experimenting with a little purple or blue might not be too bad either.

• 2 weeks later...

I've painted some more models again. Rasputina and the Ice Gamin are now ready to be glued to the bases which I didn't complete yet. I also painted four Piglets but didn't take any pictures yet. They performed well in the last game though. I'll take some proper pictures of them too when I finish the Ice Golem and Essence of Power too.

Ctritique etc. are welcome. I myself am quite happy how well they turned out. The Rosemary&Co brushes work really well for me at least. Gotta get me some more of those.

rapsuochpojkar.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been a while again. I haven't had that much time and inspiration to paint but at least I've got a few things done. It also seems that my painting skills are slowly improving, which is nice. Ice Golem is also reay and I'm currently painting the bases for the whole 'Tina crew. Lilith is also coming on nicely, I should get more grey stuff tomorrow so I can sculpt my very own almost official Viktorian bases.

Here's Lilith and one of her little buddies:

lillijajunnu.jpg

I'll have to make the eyes of the Young Nephilim a bit brighter.

Edited by Joona

• 2 weeks later...

RAAAAAAWRRRR!!!

Lilith and her friendly group of gentlemanly friends done:

broodf.jpg

broodb.jpg

I never want to paint cobblestones again. But I'm quite sure I'll still have to do it. Damn. I'm somewhat happy how they came out though the Terror Taters didn't work as well as I would have liked. I wasn't patient enough while painting or something. They also should have been more to the purple direction and less magenta. The Cherub is about the colour I was going for with the Tots too. The Big Guy is named Fabio for his curly blond hair.

The bases are self-sculpted and I used a set of the Wyrd Viktorian Base accessories. Gotta love the cat. If I had realized it quick enough, I would have made the head look down a bit at the Tot. Now the cat just looks like the evil companion of Neverborn. I also wanted Lilith to stand below the lamp post but it was just too big to fit on the small base.

• 1 month later...

I've had some minor problems finding real motivation to paint again. It might have something to do with the gazillion Resurrectionists and Outcasts I've assembled.

Anyways, Cult of December, which definitely should have been finished a month or two ago already:

cult.jpg

All the models have been painted for a long time and the Ice Pillars have been waiting for some paint along the base for the crew. Finally finished them on one go today. The pillars are made of some form of quartz crystals. I glued them to the bases with epoxy, applied a lot of pumice to simulate mud and dirt and stuck some pieces of cork for rocks. The bases for models have been done in a similar way.

I painted them with Smokey Ink, and applied a couple of layers of bluish grey and brown drybrushing for a cold and frozen look. After that I finished them with a mixture of PVA glue, water, a little white paint and GF9 snow flock. The nice thing about the flock is that it's actual flakes, not short white static grass. After the mixture was applied I sprinkled on some more flock to give the snow a fluffy frozen look.

Here's another shot of the pillars:

pillars.jpg

Another recent paint job, Zoraida and the Voodoo Doll:

zoravood.jpg

I seemed to have a lot of trouble painting her and I still don't exactly like how the colours turned out. I also have to finish the porch and the little voodoo dolls waiting in the box. And a closer shot of the saddlebag... fine old lady:

zoraida.jpg

I've also got Hamelin mostly finished though his base was a lot of work. I made a largish sewer base with a ruined archway... I'll post pictures when I've finished it. Leveticus should be the next one after that though I might have to paint a small group of dwarves for a campaign before that.

Edited by Joona

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really liking the Ice Pillars, and I'm actually working on something nearly the same myself - good to see how mine might turn out before I finish them!

I also *love* Lilith's crew... I've been thinking about what to do after I'm done with my Arcanists, and I think you may have just tipped that decision in favour of Lilith, heh.

I'm definitely saving these pix of your crews to my "Inspirational Malifaux Pix" folder ;)