Would you buy an updated rulebook?

Justin

You are all still focusing on the errata. My question said errata, less rules ambiguity and more examples.

In simple terms a rules rewrite to try to avoid some of the areas where things are currently open to differing interpretations. This may in some cases need more than just a new word or paragraph. Add to this examples of things like firing into melee with diagrams.

This would inevitably be a bigger book and a substantial change to what needs to be printed. More of a V2.

Clearly people do buy such things, GW have made a business out of it.

That was the question, not just would you buy a new copy with the current errata fixed. That question was already asked a couple of weeks ago.

GW make a business of not updating their codexes for 3 years to over a decade.

They have holes in their rules you can drive a bus through, currently 75% of my Daemonhunters codex doesn't do anything in the 5th edition rules.

GW would be bankrupt had they put into action what you are talking about.

Every tourney I go to I have a sheaf of FAQ pages tucked into my book, just like Malifaux.

Examples and rules interpretations aren't so important.

Having fun is.

I know half a dozen people who regularly have fun without any of these things you are asking for.

Why would anyone ask Wyrd to delay their expansion books for one second to reprint a book?

If you can't play without things being set out for you, just print the errata or summarize some of the forum rulings.

It'll be a useful resource to the community.

No matter how meticulous and perfect you get the rules, somebody will take it on themselves to find exceptions, loopholes, and needed errata.

Gamers love rules. A love that comes second only to their love of correcting other people about them.

At some point, the rules have to be captured in a book as best they can, and used for the game. Warmachine has done a pretty good job with Prime Remix and now MK II to keep the rules from being too overwhelming. Though there is a fair amount of errata for Malifaux, it has not been as bad as it could have been.

At this point Malifaux should hold tight until all models are released, vet some of the questions and errata, before they get too crazy with revising the books.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This ought to burst the wurms but I would even prefer cards updated with the correct errata. Why, because I don't want to mark up my cards to play a game whether it be a tournament or at a LGS. I am no MTG guru but I would not want to play in a tournament where people had Sharpied rules and abilities onto a card and I don't want to do it with a miniatures game either.

If there is errata, get the printer to change them and offer the cards with the correct information in the store.

I'm all for including the errata/faq in the next print run. I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like it would take much in the way of man hours to accomplish this, although I guess it would depend on the format of the master document. As someone else already mentioned, the option of a purchasable pdf with free errata updates (a la GURPS) would be fantastic!

I'd pay for updated cards too

Just to give a little official word on this, we will update the rulebook at some point, and we will give advanced notice about it. We are not now giving that advanced notice, so it is not coming up soon. Don't hold your breaths.

We feel at this point the game is still very new, and there is still a LOT to be learned from this edition before we can do a comprehensive update to the rule set. And trust me, from the development side, this is something I REALLY want to do, but in this case I do believe patience is a virtue and is needed for the long run strength of the game. We don't want to find ourselves in a place where we have a thread like this about the updated version months after it's released also. :)

The update is something I am putting a lot of thought into, and will be something a bit better than just incorporating the errata into the current edition. WHEN it happens that is. At the moment, the more you all play the game, give feedback on the game, and just chat about the game, the more material we have from this end to make this eventual update something the best it can be. We do listen to what you all are saying!

Thanks!

Eric

Edited by EricJ

I agree, wait and just put errata in future books similar to what PP did with warmachine. At some point you'll find the rules need a revision but time is the best test for the actual need. Remember on the forums are the vocal minority and die hard supporters, some players still are aware there has been an errata and faq issued.