looking for shanties

witchfire

i'm looking for shanty style buildings for my "shanty town" gaming table.

i already got JR minitures shanties & am wondering where

to get some others

i know Black cat bases make somes but there's no pictures

on theyr site:( so i can't decide wich i would like to get

can anybody suggest any manufacturers please

If you dont mind using Paper terrain (or a capable of moding the layouts) take a look at White Wash City.

I will be using these as a base for my gremlin boom town (when I get around to actually making it, damn work). With some simply moding they should look pretty good and mounting them on foamcore will make them plenty durable.

@n0signal: Yes, O scale would do it. But test out your models against the standard of the company from whom you buy a terrain piece. Plasticville USA uses a very compromising 0 scale that works very well for between 25 and 30 mm miniatures. Lionel makes a few small pieces I've scrapped for terrain projects, but all Lionel stuff in 0 scale is built to a much larger scale standard, as they have pretty much cornered the market on Christmas trains and can do whatever they damn well please (they are the GW of Christmas train set companies, let me tell you).

So if you can see it in a hobby store first (and if they're the nice type to open the shrink wrap for you!) you can see for yourself if Plasticville or some other company makes terrain that works for you! If you order online, though, ask if they have comparison shots of their terrain with known-sized objects or minis in your scale.

~J~

If you're going to get O scale stuff, Walthers www.walthers.com has EVERYTHING from Plasticville to the unbelieveably cool stuff Bar Mills makes. On sale this month is a VERY nice looking Shanty by B.T.S. & Watson's Siding by JV Models [general store, freight station, blacksmith'sshop, sheds, & fences]. :guns:

Edited by DeafNala

when doing this to mdf its advisable to wear a mask/do it outside as the dust can be bad for you

This is true, however this product will need very little of either. It is not as bad as working with resin though, that stuff is nasty.

CNC terrain comes pre-cut with little tabs that can be easily cut with a hobby knife or cutters. a bit of hand sanding tidies it up nicely. You shouold see the Church Juliet is working on at the moment - looks really nice.

MDF is just as bad as resin due to the glues which bind the fibers. However as LDP says the product needs little attention. I give mine a quick run with some 80grit sand paper and it only takes a moment. I use the GW razor saw thing to cut mine as I find it leaves less tab to fix.

I'll post up a pic of my CNC stuff. They make a great range.

@ Witchfire - Where are those plates from? I am always on the lookout for good looking simple accesories.

S scale is 1/64; O scale is 1/48; 28mm is 1/56, depending on how tall you rate the mini...6' is kind of standard. SO...you have your choice of slightly too small or slightly too large. I'd opt for the O scale because 1) it, being more popular than S scale, has more thingys available, & 2) a bit larger works better from a modelling & gaming perspective...or, at least that's my take on the deal. :guns: