Hoooboy .... GenCon!

Mornin' folks,

Ninja hitting the laptop for the first time in four days and thought I would give everyone a hey and hello from Indianapolis.

Getting ready for GenCon has been an .... well I'll be nice and say 'adventure'. My daughter broke her thumb Monday night and she and my wife spend most of tghe evening and night in the emergency room which shut down things on our end.

Thankfully she's fine, but in the mean time, instead of leaving at 10am or so on Tuesday for driving up, we left at 11pm on Tuesday night, drove straight through without stop and got into Indy at about 7am. Eric got off his plane and into the vehicle at 7:30'ish, and we were at GenCon unloading at a little after 8am.

We unloaded and setup everything and got out of there about 5pm in the afternoon after going at the booth in that terrible heat as GenCon seems to be a touch cheap about allowing AC into the building until the next day .... several of the exhibitors are starting to grumble about that so I expect we'll get after them to change this soon.

Steve and Aaron showed up about 2:30-3:00pm and surprised me by coming in and helping out. Actually, the've done a TON of work in the booth, so much so that I'm going to name them honorary booth babes. Needless to say, the additional help was welcomed as we were flat out tuckered by this time.

After that, it was off to the hotel to check in, shower, get some food, then back to the grindstone to package some last minute stuff, primarily the wargroups that some of you have seen in the pictures. By this time I was practically swaying on my feet and we got to bed at midnight.

At that point, I had been up 40 hours straight. Needess to say, I slept like the dead, and getting up five hours later was NOT something I wanted to do.

Not going to go through the specifics, but needless to say GenCon is going VERY well for us. Interest is through the roof, the booth is continously busy and generally we're having a great time, though I've noticed that my vision ends at the edge of the booth at I'm just moving the whole of our area and talking to

people and having a fun time hard selling them on all things Wyrd.

We thought a double booth would be plenty big ... we were just about wrong there and it gets REALLY tight the whole day through, and we've got a really open booth setup. That's a good problem to have though.

:D

No pictures from me as of yet, but I'll mention it to someone to take decent total pictures. If I take them, its going to come out like crap so you'll have to forgive me on that one!

I also wanted to take the time to say thank you to everyone that has stopped by, talked to us, given us your support and really made the convention worth all the hair pulling and stress that I've been enjoying behind the scenes.

Back off for another couple days of madness and I probably won't resurface until well after the convention, but all the same, thanks again for making this one seriously Wyrd time.

Best,

Nathan

Sorry to hear about your daughter's thumb and everything that has gone a little "wonky".

Glad to hear that things are going really well. It sounds like the news is spreading about Wyrd and that people are really interested in both Wyrd and Malifaux. Hope the rest of the con is busy for you, but not stressful.

Great to hear! (except for your daughter's finger, sorry bout that)

I mentioned earlier after seeing the pics from the first day that it looked like Wyrd was sporting the most professional presentation. That table just looks too good not to notice compared to everything else I've seen from other companies putting on demos. Awesome that the card mechanics are getting lots of attention from other developers too! (its like you are re-defining the way mini games can be played, sorta like what the Wii did with video games).

Congrats on all the success, and I hope it rides throughout the weekend.

Edited by thetang22

Pictures! :D

We got there and set up the booth, and after redoing it several times we settled on:

booth-1-1.jpg

booth-2.jpg

And luckily the demo table survived the trip in:

demo-2.jpg

table-1.jpg

table-2.jpg

Then the Nephilim emerged and the demos began

demo-4.jpg

demo-1.jpg

A look at the booth in full swing

booth-3.jpg

booth-4.jpg

And here we are this evening after a long day of work

crew-1.jpg

Edited by EricJ

it has been real busy, I think the 2 giant banners we sent up 15 feet didn't hurt, as you can see them from the far end of the hall :D

My company found similar results when we used a single man lift at the last entertainment technology convention. Nothing like sending people 30' in the air to draw attention! Being visible is perhaps the most important thing you can do!

The booth was great...I think the size was just right, it proves intelligent business decisions vs. show and gloat. I was impressed.

The table was (is) amazing and I'll be stealing ideas like a madman from it for my own. The time spent on that thing was worth every hour and every penny put into it, I spoke to a dozen people who asked me 'did you see that wild west table at the Wyrd booth?' while I was running events early on. Sadly I had not as I got in and went right to work...so I was like...'NO..shut up, I don't wanna hear anymore til I get to see it'. It surely did not disappoint.

On the whole, poor Eric's voice was shot, Nathan looked marvelous for staying up 40 hours straight and then standing on that damn concrete floor all day long and the game has a great start.

You need to drag your friends over here and show them what's what if you haven't already.

D

Back ...

Bleah, I'm tired ... nay, exhausted, but we're back home now as of two hours ago, got the trailer unloaded, everything stashed for the day and did some quick running around and I'm just now getting a chance to settle in for the afternoon after having a run with the kids.

First and foremost, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone that stopped by the booth to show your support. This was, simply put, an overwhelming year at the convention and we had a great time meeting everyone, talking your ears off about the upcoming game as well as getting a chance to show off our new product and get your feedback on it all.

Thankfully we didn't have to handle the booth by ourselves this year as it would have quickly gotten out of hand .... we thought the four of us (Eric, Casey, Victoria and myself) could take care of it easily but in the end we had upwards to eight people working the booth with two to three of us demoing and four to five of us herding and handling sales. Aaron, Steve, Dan, Nick and Ryan all jumped in and got to work without us expecting it in the least and to say that we were floored, and grateful, is putting it mildly. Thanks fellas!

It's going to take a few days for us to get back into full gallop around here but here shortly we'll have several of the GenCon releases up and available to the public, primarily the Convict Gunslinger, the Hag and the Flame Accessories. The Silurids will take a bit longer as we're going to wait to release those until they've got a proper studio job.

In the mean time, I'm off to relax and hope that everyone had a good time and got home safely.

Just from what I've heard here on the Wyrd forums, the response to the booth is amazing. It's sound like Wyrd went over very well and interest in Malifaux seems to be gaining even more steam. Glad you all had a good time, albeit an exhausting one.

I really wish I could have been there for it. I feel like not making it somehow let the rest of the team down; like I should have been there to help out. I apologize for that and rest assured that I'm starting to save up now for next year's GenCon.

Back ...

Thankfully we didn't have to handle the booth by ourselves this year as it would have quickly gotten out of hand .... we thought the four of us (Eric, Casey, Victoria and myself) could take care of it easily but in the end we had upwards to eight people working the booth with two to three of us demoing and four to five of us herding and handling sales. Aaron, Steve, Dan, Nick and Ryan all jumped in and got to work without us expecting it in the least and to say that we were floored, and grateful, is putting it mildly. Thanks fellas!

Group hug!

Nathan, Victoria, Steve and Eric -- it was great to meet you, and thanks for extending such warm welcomes. I really enjoyed chatting about minis and painting, drooling over the demo table and snapping up some Wyrdness. Great job on the booth, studio minis (wow!) & all the new products out there. Now, enjoy a breather, take some time to get your feet back under you, ya' hear?

Back ...

It's going to take a few days for us to get back into full gallop around here but here shortly we'll have several of the GenCon releases up and available to the public, primarily the Convict Gunslinger, the Hag and the Flame Accessories. The Silurids will take a bit longer as we're going to wait to release those until they've got a proper studio job.

I enjoyed chatting with the Wyrd folks, as always! You all seemed in great spirits despite the troubles. The booth looked fantastic, and I liked the open plan a lot. I tend to shy away from claustrophobic booths in big crowds, and this GC had some crowds!

I must not have done a very good job on checking for new releases though as I totally missed the gunslinger and flame accessories and look forward to seeing those!

Ugh. I don't even wanna start on GenCon.

Though, it was very cool to meet some people- from here, I met Nathan, Wren, and (briefly) EricJ- and to see the Malifaux table which caused me stop and jealously shake my fist at the booth every time I passed by.

On a related note, if you ever need a rumrunner, I highly recommend Wren for all your bootlegging needs.

I'm only available if suitable bribes are offered, it's only worth the risk because of the profit. ;-> I hope you enjoyed the one we picked out.

I really enjoyed chatting with Bexley, Nathan, LarvaYor, GreyHorde and many other people. I think I managed to spend more time getting to know folks than I have at any previous Gen Con, and yet my biggest regret is still not having had more time and opportunities to meet people.

Nice meeting the few people I did get to meet. Woke up sick Thursday morning and could only handle the exhibit hall for about 15 minutes before I had to go lay back down. Then spent the rest of the con wandering around in a cold medicine induced haze. I did have a good time for the moments I was awake and functioning fully though.

Ugh, sick at GenCon, no fun. Duzzdan, was it you that I talked to whose wife couldn't even make it out of the hotel room due to being sick?

To thread-jack though, just letting folks know that yes, I am back, no, I'm not going to be quick on my PM's and e-mails and yes, I will get back to you, but give me a week or more at best ... last count this morning I'm up 60 e-mails about specific whatnots and another 22 private messages here on the site. I'm slowly getting through it.

:D

Ugh, sick at GenCon, no fun. Duzzdan, was it you that I talked to whose wife couldn't even make it out of the hotel room due to being sick?

Yeah, that was me. She finally got feeling good enough Saturday evening to get out some, but the majority of the time she spent in the hotel room in bed. But hey, as least she wasn't lying when she called into work sick to go to Gencon!

We still both had an alright time even though it wasn't how we had it planned out. I did win 'Best of Wyrd' in the painting competition though, so it's all good!