2023 Monthly painting challenge - May

Hawkoon

Okay, so I think I have figured out the whole pledge thing ;)ย I have pledged for 11 soulstones this month, and here's 8 so far! Ol' Harrison Frodsham didn't quite sneak under the wire for April, but he's happy to start things off for May. I'm still not super sold on how the winding key looks, but I've done it twice now, and I'm calling that enough!

IMG_5620.jpg

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Brad Maynes said:

@Hawkoonย Yeah, it's possible that I'll retroactively be claiming soulstones for a model for May that may not show up in this thread for ... reasons ... ;)

This is not the first time. You can just note the SS down in the form without showing off photos at the end of the month. But make sure to post the photos once winners are announced.

@Brad Maynesย - very nice paintjob on the mini I hate to see on the table :)ย The golden NMM looks great!

@MestreGuilderiusย - such an amazing, atmospheric piece, love it!

@LinenMusicianย - this is a walk down the memory lane, those were some of the first ever minis released in plastic from Wyrd (McCabe and Lynch and I think Mei?). Very good memories and very good paintjob from you :)

I've started May with a very quick paintjob on three proxies (they are from D&D range) as I await the release of Returned keyword.

painters-challenge-may-2023-01.png

2 Blood Vessels and one Mindless Zombie - about 1hr of work in total and a start of 12 soulstones.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

*waves* Hello. :)ย These mini's are amazing! I've been painting myself off and on for about two or three years (I started my first during 'stay at home' mandates so I guess that does make three years now O.O). I am new around here, just stumbled on Wyrd's page and this forum from a wild internet search. But I am thinking of throwing in my chips on this challenge here soon, late to the party (as usual) but it will be fun to play around at least and show off what I have been doing at least. :)ย Gluing a guy together to submit for the Heavy Metal contest right now, crossing my fingers I have time to finish him.ย 

Looking forward to seeing more everyone's work and letting you see some of mine!ย ๐Ÿ’œ

-M.ย 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Merideth said:

*waves* Hello. :)ย These mini's are amazing! I've been painting myself off and on for about two or three years (I started my first during 'stay at home' mandates so I guess that does make three years now O.O). I am new around here, just stumbled on Wyrd's page and this forum from a wild internet search. But I am thinking of throwing in my chips on this challenge here soon, late to the party (as usual) but it will be fun to play around at least and show off what I have been doing at least. :)ย Gluing a guy together to submit for the Heavy Metal contest right now, crossing my fingers I have time to finish him.ย 

Looking forward to seeing more everyone's work and letting you see some of mine!ย ๐Ÿ’œ

-M.ย 

You're more than welcome to join in๐Ÿ˜

Still 7 months left of 2023 after all.

Due to the decline in posts lately, I guess you're not the only one working on an entry for the competition.

I know I have been, but I'm finished now, so I'll move on to something else soon๐Ÿ˜‰

14 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

Due to the decline in posts lately, I guess you're not the only one working on an entry for the competition.

I know I have been, but I'm finished now, so I'll move on to something else soon๐Ÿ˜‰

I think (hope) I'll probably be done after this weekend. As opposed to painting something just "for myself", I'm having a bit of trouble knowing when it's "done".

• Like 1

Managed to squeeze out another Illuminated before I go away on a 2.5 week trip and miss the end of the month.ย  Annoyingly, one of my turbodork paints seem to be getting thick/grainy and therefore isn't giving me the smooth coverage I'd like. I wonder if there's a way to fix it or if it's a loss.ย  Brilliance monster and corrupted claw in turbodork paints while the human body and cloths are in contrast paints.ย  I like how the blue turbodork works for this, but not happy with the grainy pink.

tIg4xeH.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/21/2023 at 5:17 AM, Cats Laughing said:

Managed to squeeze out another Illuminated before I go away on a 2.5 week trip and miss the end of the month.ย  Annoyingly, one of my turbodork paints seem to be getting thick/grainy and therefore isn't giving me the smooth coverage I'd like. I wonder if there's a way to fix it or if it's a loss.ย  Brilliance monster and corrupted claw in turbodork paints while the human body and cloths are in contrast paints.ย  I like how the blue turbodork works for this, but not happy with the grainy pink.

tIg4xeH.jpg

Ohh! That's a fun figure! Love all the contrasting colors going on here!ย 

M.

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 4:57 PM, Hawkoon said:

You're more than welcome to join in๐Ÿ˜

Still 7 months left of 2023 after all.

Thanks! I'll probably pop in next month officially. This contest thing has not been going well so far... lol and it's crazy with the end of school right now, but looking forward to really getting my hands dirty around here ;)ย 

M.ย 

Hello there!

Nice to see already a lot of awesome jobs for the month โค๏ธ

@Moinetbeardย the skin in this salamander is amazing

@MestreGuilderiusย welcome!! Loving the ambience on your minis!

On my side I keep working on the foundry kw, this time was the rock hopper, gotta build the setup for nicer pics with my "signature black background" XD, but I'd say those are pretty neatย 

7GKC3Kj.jpg
ย 

yjwQlxt.jpg

ย 

It would have been a perfect mini for the Heavy Metal contest, but tbh, i had this weathering heavy schema on mind decided for a while, and I didn't feel very inspired, so i didn't submit anything for this contest, at all :(. Next time maybe...

To anyone participating: BEST OF LUCK!!! ๐Ÿซถ

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hellu,

somehow i managed less finished Models then i aimed for... i did odds and ends, painted all 15 bases on Qi&Gong, Build and primed Cavalier Keyword, Repainted a Lady Justice2 to some degree and i have 3 Jorogumos like 60% finished. Life also happened, but i guess June will see me back on strength.

I also tried to up my brush skills a bit and tried to improve Skins and Eyes, maybe it's even visible ;)

nWbhd4M.jpgoyWw6ij.jpgQIWdxk6.jpg

Not sure how i feel about those, mixed most colours from scratch and did not use washes (Apart from Wooden Bases). Maybe will improve everything in the long run.

great work everyone, as alwaqys a pleasure to participate, tapping out at 33 Stones in may

• Like 4

vbeeJ8U.jpgSHRqJhq.jpgVhx3qsP.jpg

Popping in to post my monthly model update. Have finished up the Shaman's for Nephillim and Hinamatsu who I believe is the last of my NB versatile models. Already have my preorder in for the Kastore crew so should be looking to get those painted in July, not sure what I'll do for June. Myabe some more Chimera?

• Like 1

I also got my tiny commitment finished for the month, though photos on the balance will have to wait. June will (hopefully?) see the Explorer's Society Starter Box hit the painting table. This has gotten delayed a bit by finally getting my terrain for my table, all of which needs to be assembled and painted as well!

@Moinetbeardย I love Captain Zipp and Mancha Roja. The colors are so vibrant and comic-book-y, just how I imagine both of them! Your tiger-striped piece is great. I've done these before (on the raptors in an Unmatched set), and it is easy to get one or two in a row looking organic and non-repetitive, but getting the whole row of them to look that way takes serious attention. Nice job.

@Cats Laughingย Model looks great - before pitching the pink, you could try adding some gloss medium to it and vortexing or shaking VERY thoroughly. Can't hurt if you're only going to throw it away anyway, and sometimes it will reconstitute.

@Diddickย Love the yellow/brown finish on your rock hopper. Looks very industrial - like it's been well used, but also well taken care of.

@Gheistย Okay, I'm a sucker for blue, but these look amazing. The blue on the robes of the first one is so vibrant!

@TimHย Looking good! The orange and yellow on the robe look almost flame-y.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1