2023 Monthly painting challenge - January

Hawkoon

Well here we go! A new year with new possibilities🎆

Kicking it off with January!

With the long awaited realease of Madness of Malifaux, we are sure to see some intersting new models coming out in the year to come, and most likely some Kimon for The Otherside as well. Which leads me to this month topic: What are you truely looking forward to for 2023? New models? Some old projects, you just haven't gotten to? Or just GETTING IT DONE!

For me it's all of the above... 😆

For January I'll be continuing on my nightmare crew. Only Dreamer insomniac, widow weaver, coppelius and Bandersnatch left now. Don't think I'll get them all done by the end of the month, but it's getting close.

And since I am posting this in 2022, I'll finish this off by wishing you all a happy new year! See you in 2023😉

Caedrus, reporting in!

In 2023 (despite it being the Chinese Year of the Rabbit), I am declaring it the Year of the Pig. And the Gremlin. And the Silurid. And maybe some other swamp creatures!

It's the Year of the Bayou!

7sAjIOT.jpg

Over the course of 2023, I will be meeting my monthly goals with some specific Bayou. In January, it'll be Zipp (15SS) and The First Mate (9SS).

However, over the course of 2023, I will be working towards a larger goal, being to paint every member of: Infamous, Kin, Big Hat, Sooey, Tricksy, Swamp Fiend, and Wizz-Bang, as well as all my Versatiles and Pigs!

Obviously, this is quite, quite stupid. The production line starts today, and I have already used my test-bed models to get consistent colour schemes worked out. Wish me luck on this voyage through the swamp!

Have a great January!

Caedrus.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Caedrus said:

Caedrus, reporting in!

In 2023 (despite it being the Chinese Year of the Rabbit), I am declaring it the Year of the Pig. And the Gremlin. And the Silurid. And maybe some other swamp creatures!

It's the Year of the Bayou!

7sAjIOT.jpg

Over the course of 2023, I will be meeting my monthly goals with some specific Bayou. In January, it'll be Zipp (15SS) and The First Mate (9SS).

However, over the course of 2023, I will be working towards a larger goal, being to paint every member of: Infamous, Kin, Big Hat, Sooey, Tricksy, Swamp Fiend, and Wizz-Bang, as well as all my Versatiles and Pigs!

Obviously, this is quite, quite stupid. The production line starts today, and I have already used my test-bed models to get consistent colour schemes worked out. Wish me luck on this voyage through the swamp!

Have a great January!

Caedrus.

Ambitious! I look forward to seeing it, good luck!

Most of all this year I am looking forward to clearing my entire backlog of unpainted miniatures- I should achieve this before the summer hopefully! 

I will be continuing with the tricksy keyword this month, with a vague ambition of getting the keyword finished by the end of January and perhaps using it in a tournament.. we will see. I have Sparks, 2 survivors, 2 rooster riders, 2 bushwhackers, a soulstone miner, a few test subjects, rockhopper and mecha-meemaw to paint. So only most of the keyword. However, it is all built and based, so... maybe? For now, here's some pics of my mecha-meemaw and rockhopper which I built and based today. Can't wait to get started on them! 

large.20230102_215333.jpg.625ae186dea8da3b64c7b2fb86726e5e.jpglarge.20230102_215411.jpg.d7c52eadc80ec0a8d5410dce3c3bf09f.jpg

• Like 6

Checking in for 2023 :)

I don't have specific plans - just wat to continue with Tyrant pledge and paint as many miniatures / month as possible :)

I will start with Iconic Titania (I've actually already painted ~50% during my Wyrd painting stream yesterday :) ).

@Moinetbeard - not this is proper basing for this ridiculous sized model :D

Looking forward to having fun here this year again!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Viruk said:

Checking in for 2023 :)

I don't have specific plans - just wat to continue with Tyrant pledge and paint as many miniatures / month as possible :)

I will start with Iconic Titania (I've actually already painted ~50% during my Wyrd painting stream yesterday :) ).

@Moinetbeard - not this is proper basing for this ridiculous sized model :D

Looking forward to having fun here this year again!

I am quite excited about The Fae Queen. Hopefully I will be able to order her soon. I can't wait to see your completed miniature.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'm back and pledging tyrant again. This year I'm looking forward to the Kastore crew, some new stuff for tOS and hopefully picking up alt Barbaros and SIlent Knight during a wyrd sale event (they keep selling out before I manage to get my order in). I'm also 'looking forward' to carefully trying to meet my pledge while also trying to paint up other models at the same time. This month I've got some Blood Bowl to start work on and sometime this year I'll be getting my hands on some more KDM.

With the fact that I will be juggling other projects with the painting challenge in mind I have already made my pledge total for the month with the remaining 2 False Witnesses, my 3rd Autumn Knight and Aeslin.

9dVJvRt.jpg0W2HKIl.jpg

Then on top of that I've rebased my previously painted Fae with autumna leaves that I got for christmas.

NbYsHnZ.jpg

Finally while it doesn't count towards my points contribution I have painted up a load of art of war tokens for terrain markers, status tokens, scheme markers etc.

Looking forward to another productive year of hobbying!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TimH said:

I'm back and pledging tyrant again. This year I'm looking forward to the Kastore crew, some new stuff for tOS and hopefully picking up alt Barbaros and SIlent Knight during a wyrd sale event (they keep selling out before I manage to get my order in). I'm also 'looking forward' to carefully trying to meet my pledge while also trying to paint up other models at the same time. This month I've got some Blood Bowl to start work on and sometime this year I'll be getting my hands on some more KDM.

With the fact that I will be juggling other projects with the painting challenge in mind I have already made my pledge total for the month with the remaining 2 False Witnesses, my 3rd Autumn Knight and Aeslin.

9dVJvRt.jpg0W2HKIl.jpg

Then on top of that I've rebased my previously painted Fae with autumna leaves that I got for christmas.

NbYsHnZ.jpg

Finally while it doesn't count towards my points contribution I have painted up a load of art of war tokens for terrain markers, status tokens, scheme markers etc.

Looking forward to another productive year of hobbying!

Those leaves really adds some colour and vibrancy to the crew, binding them together thematically👍

I'd also love to see the tokens here, even if they aren't actual models😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hawkoon said:

I'd also love to see the tokens here, even if they aren't actual models😉

Ask and ye shall recieve

QXsw0dX.jpg

I imagine a lot of people here have seen these before but these tokens are from a company called art of war studios. They come unpainted but covered in a thin (but firmly stuck down) sheet of film that civers all of the areas that you want to be transparent coloured plastic in the finished product. You then colour over the surface of the token with your choice of crayons are paints getting the colour into all of the cut recesses (in this case almost all of mine were done with a nice pokerchip style white) and then once dry you peel off all the film and get what you see above. My first token I messed up and so one of the web markers has come out a bit messy but after that it all went very smoothly. I've got hungry land, web, egg, underbrush, blast, corpse, shockwave, scrap, neverborn themed scheme, strategy, ice pillar and lair markers, plus markers for all conditions, +/- flips, activated markers, soul stones and pass tokens. One of the nice little details on almost all of the terrain markers (some inexplicably don't) is that along the edge they have both the name and all of the traits of that marker (severe, dense etc.)

• Like 1

Hi there!  Happy new year everyone (is it still oke to wish a happy new year? or too late already ^^ )

This month i'll paint the Mechanized porkchop.

Plus, looks like my post office finally has my order from the wyrd shop and i'll get my "tricksy" minis home soon!   So in the future i'll probably be painting what @Moinetbeard  is painting, just muuuuuuuuch more slowly, and with way less cool bases 🤣

Also, i joined a malifaux league in my lgs, i'll play TTs, i don't expect to win lots of matches, or any match at all, but i hope at least it inspires me to focus more in the mali mini painting, bc at the moment i feel more like dedicating my hobby time to other stuff... Thanks to this monthly challenge my mali gray pile gets some love.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 11:28 AM, Diddick said:

Hi there!  Happy new year everyone (is it still oke to wish a happy new year? or too late already ^^ )

This month i'll paint the Mechanized porkchop.

Plus, looks like my post office finally has my order from the wyrd shop and i'll get my "tricksy" minis home soon!   So in the future i'll probably be painting what @Moinetbeard  is painting, just muuuuuuuuch more slowly, and with way less cool bases 🤣

Also, i joined a malifaux league in my lgs, i'll play TTs, i don't expect to win lots of matches, or any match at all, but i hope at least it inspires me to focus more in the mali mini painting, bc at the moment i feel more like dedicating my hobby time to other stuff... Thanks to this monthly challenge my mali gray pile gets some love.

Good luck on the league- I find games and tournaments in particular are the best motivation to get stuff painted!

With that in mind I have 2 more finished minis this week: Rockhopper and Sparks. Rockhopper in particular was loads of fun to paint. 

large.20230120_231206.jpg.41d5d696eae5dbc31c90e85b56decf37.jpglarge.20230120_231221.jpg.f8d899d83acd43f38043988945705229.jpglarge.20230120_231315.jpg.5a51d078eafb1a48ca7034b59029e03b.jpglarge.20230120_231335.jpg.5b1f6d5c40d004d9a215c1932287fad1.jpg

I have 2 survivors to base and then onto the final model I have in Tricksy, big Mah herself! I'm giving myself one week to get her finished as I plan to use her in a tournament next weekend.

• Like 7

On 1/22/2023 at 6:27 PM, Gheist said:

SPAM us please :) Love the Lonely Robot

20230107_184011.thumb.jpg.2f72e1903922d2d89680d80e7806e6a9.jpg

i got PIG. I have some other Minis done but no Photos yet, will make a sessiona at the end of the month. Happy SPAM everyone

I feel like Gracie is worth ALOT of Spam.... amazing work. The skin looks amazing and the details of the eyes and the teapot are brilliant!

This one really is the last model from me this month. I've pushed hard to get her finished for a tournament this weekend. Really pleased with how she came out. The slight modification to the legs worked well- I think she looks much more like she's capable of climbing anywhere!

large.455606205_20230127_1415091.jpg.7ac0020f99bb4f1febcb1f29e83d6c79.jpglarge.1230715279_20230127_1418171.jpg.e751f0f521a7eabcc4c9f0b96b3617fd.jpglarge.1868714364_20230127_1418401.jpg.45a8aff1813b08100fdec9825ac4e765.jpglarge.1704827290_20230127_1419091.jpg.d4431085f06f61a91725f6bc671f97ca.jpglarge.944509312_20230127_1417561.jpg.c08b3934a0dd6ed3228550875be26911.jpg

With Mah complete, that is me done with the Tricksy keyword for now. Next month I'll be back on the Foundry keyword.

• Like 3

Well, i pledged again, just at the same enforcer level, since I don't want to aim so high I fail, but shockingly I managed quite a bit more than 6-stones this month. I don't expect to paint more malifaux this month, so I'll post my two completed models now.

UgVIRE9.jpgDgfl7Jc.jpg

Mei Feng & Kang in a jade and yellow scheme, which mostly matches the green and yellows of my gremlin & golem/gamin Foundry models.

• Like 5

Caedrus, reporting in!

My First 24SS of Bayou have been completed, being Zipp (15SS) and the First Mate (9SS).

Ua1qNsg.jpg

1v6EQBq.jpg

These guys were really a bit of a testbed for my colour scheme for my Bayou. Hopefully, the Silurid flesh is a bit more vibrant to the eye.

A bunch of fun models, but most of all this month, I have been on  bender of building models and getting bases prepared!

I'll see you in February, where it'll be all about the piggies! See you then!

Caedrus.

• Like 3