2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - Octobre

Gheist

Hello Folks!

BIg sorry for the late post, but i am quite overworked and have run into too much no regarding my hobby lately so I slouched.

Anyhow: We are nearing the end of the year ! So it's the last ditch effort ;)

Regarding Masterclass: I want to now if there are any products like some specific glue or medium or varnish that has made your hobby-life easier since you discovered it, just post your favourite.

Dont forget to fill in the Forms guys, have an awesome Octobre!

Hagen

• Like 1

Demi chipping in! I'm going to be an expat for most of October at work, which means I won't be able to take any minis/paint with me.

I'll be finishing the remaining kunoichi for this month (needs a little touch-up, as one of the cats gnawed on it), as well as am working on a big secret project in case the new, Rotten Harvest themed competition starts in October. For the latter, I can already coin a total of 18ss, but can't reveal the figures just yet... Would that count?

In case not, I'll throw in enough figures until I'll reach 11 ss for the month.

The tool that changed my painting game was definitely my wet palette. I am using much less paint for much longer now and my mixes keep longer. 

Life kinda happened last month so I'll have to put in an extra effort this month to finish more of my nightmare crew. (Looks like I'll be finishing up Serena, Chompy and some insidious madnesses Nope! I'll be working on a piece for the competition ☠️🎃 )

When it comes to the masterclass topic, I have to say that during the gap-filling topic earlier I found a guide to making "sprue-goo". Though it isn't a "straight-out-of-the-bottle" product, it makes gapfilling so much easier! Best part about it is that you should all already have the ingredients needed to make it.

https://youtu.be/cTfkwv30E_o

• Like 3

I think half knowing that it’s going to be a tough month but also knowing I have a little pile of shame that needs clearing for the UK Nationals I’ve made a start. 

9LLUfJq.jpg

PnqZaul.jpg

I tried to make the ground look boggy and muddy so used some water effect. It’s gone a bit white but hopefully it’ will clear a little. Otherwise I might just add a bit of wash to the top to give it a muddy colour.

• Like 7

With the Savage keyword now complete I'm starting chimera (and planning to mix in titles and other random stuff for cres I've had for longer that have still got components missing). Have decided to open the Chimera painting spree with one Razorspine rattler and Marcus himself which together chip in enough points for me to already have made my target for the month.

Wk3K6On.jpgLBHmJRI.jpg

And with my points already sorted for the month it means I can now put more of my effort into my painting contest entry.

• Like 9

I am painting an entry for the Wyrd contest, and I assume I'm not the only one here. As the deadline is november 6'th, I won't be able to show off my work here for quite some time (but I will get it finished by the end of this month), so I hope that a late reveal of this months quota will be accepted?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

I am painting an entry for the Wyrd contest, and I assume I'm not the only one here. As the deadline is november 6'th, I won't be able to show off my work here for quite some time (but I will get it finished by the end of this month), so I hope that a late reveal of this months quota will be accepted?

Yes, it's completely fine. It would be a bit dumb if you couldn't invest time to paint something to a high standard and partake in this challenge at the same time.

But we expect you to make us proud.

So no pressure :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Gheist said:

But we expect you to make us proud.

So no pressure :D

Depends a lot on what it takes to make you proud I guess😅

What I can say is that I'm done with all the modelling required for a diorama/vignette. (And that required a fair bit of milliput/greenstuff and A LOT of patience and foul language!).

I am also done with basic light and colouring to set the scene. All that remains is the long stretch of fleshing it all out with proper painting techniques (aka painting it all again...)

Oh, and I've got Serena on the side, so I'll be multitasking a bit with painting her while I wait for the paint on the main task to dry.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Gheist said:

Judging from your previous works i am very optimistic. Sounds like fun doing all that stuff. Don't you get impatient?

Thank you for the support!

This is all new to me so it's both fun and frustrating, all at once. I've worked with modelling minor things like conversions and bases before, but this is such a step-up in scale. I might have set my ambition a bit too high on this one, but we'll see.

And yes I do get impatient, hence the required foul language, but I'm guessing the worst challange is yet before me in that department. I'll let you know how it works out :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkoon said:

Depends a lot on what it takes to make you proud I guess😅

What I can say is that I'm done with all the modelling required for a diorama/vignette. (And that required a fair bit of milliput/greenstuff and A LOT of patience and foul language!).

I am also done with basic light and colouring to set the scene. All that remains is the long stretch of fleshing it all out with proper painting techniques (aka painting it all again...)

Oh, and I've got Serena on the side, so I'll be multitasking a bit with painting her while I wait for the paint on the main task to dry.

I'll be working on the contest entry too!  just found out about it last Saturday, and cos i have to submit under the overachiever category too, so started rushing for something bigger than a single mini, last (and only) time i submitted something on the overachiever category, my entry was the last one with one single vote 🙃 (not even mine, just a good soul who took pity on my misaki XD)

So same as Hawkoon, i'll make my October entry public once the voting has finished.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 10:11 AM, Hawkoon said:

I feel you, I still have to get my hands on some greenstuff, but milliput is definitely NOT the tool to be used for detailed work, as it simply dissolves in water and makes a mess in anything else.😅 Wishing you the best, eager to see what you came up with for the diorama! :)

@Diddick I wish you the best as well, I think your Misaki was also looking amazing :( But contest are just that, pushing us to learn and become better at what we do. 

• Like 1

Done at last, that’s all my Malifaux Pile of shame finished, and what a great model to end on! This was lovely to paint, though my iPad has washed out the colours and subtlety a bit as always .
I have a couple of keyword gaps I can add to continue the challenge this year, and my eye on a couple of new masters too…exciting times!

8EE9B5C2-4283-440A-BC26-B3F097BC3265.jpeg

BAE83541-6574-4B9C-B0C3-A196C14EC192.jpeg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, wobbly_goggy said:

Done at last, that’s all my Malifaux Pile of shame finished, and what a great model to end on! This was lovely to paint, though my iPad has washed out the colours and subtlety a bit as always .
I have a couple of keyword gaps I can add to continue the challenge this year, and my eye on a couple of new masters too…exciting times!

8EE9B5C2-4283-440A-BC26-B3F097BC3265.jpeg

BAE83541-6574-4B9C-B0C3-A196C14EC192.jpeg

That looks awesome ! Also Huge congratulations on slaying the Pile in the most heroic fashion!

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 11:41 PM, wobbly_goggy said:

Done at last, that’s all my Malifaux Pile of shame finished,

Impossible! 😵

I have like 3 or 4 factions worth of models in my pile of shame... and it keeps growing. So I'll be painting 'til I die, probably never able to claim such an acheivement.

• Haha 1