Older Versions of The Dreamer in 3.0?

Rigsby

I have not actually played Malifaux before. I had my eye on the models for The Dreamer for a while because I love that idea of a faction composed of a creepy little kid and his nightmares come to life. But no one else plays Malifaux around here, so I never pulled the trigger on it. Today I found another faction that I like and decided that I would buy two factions and that way I could learn the game, run demos and teach others how to play and then maybe others will buy their own factions and we can start a local community.

But when I logged on to the website to figure out the exact things I need to buy, I realized the kid is gone; he's older and lost the Damien-like creepiness that made the faction such a cool idea to begin with. So, I'm now back to having only one faction that interests me in this game and thus not enough interest to go with my "running demos" idea for starting a local community.

Unless...the older models can work with the newer rules? Since I don't really understand the game yet I can't really make sense of how everything plays. If I were to acquire the older version of the models, would the new rules work with the older models or would they make absolutely no sense because they wouldn't fit what the model looks like (maybe in the new rules he's too physically strong to be a little kid or whatever)? Alternately, are 2.0 rules for that character compatible with 3.0 without ruining balance or are the rules so different between those versions that they just aren't going to be compatible or will break balance?

Or am I out of luck and that faction just isn't for me anymore?

Thanks

The models are not edition restricted, so there is nothing to stop you using second or even first edition models in third edition rules.  ( most of my collection is first edition metals). 

In general you probably won't find many things that don't fit, the odd weapon won't match the attack name and so forth, but that's sometimes the case even using the newest models. 

You can't really use second edition rules for somethings and third for others, as there are enough things that have changed that it isn't easy to do.

Great idea - hope you’ll find a 2nd ed crew to field. 

-

Here’s a few pointers for pushing the game. 

First off download the rules for Henchman Hardcore, it’s a smaller game (4 vs 4 models), is quite killy and you share objectives, so it’s easier for new players to wrap their head around, so you can concentrate on learning the base principles. And it’s fast, so they get a chance to play a second game - and that’s when you know they’re hooked.

Next, as you start playing. Start playing within keywords, forcing yourself to try out all models before going out of keyword helps you understand all the subtle nuances and manipulations in the game. In the same vein, it takes around 10 games to ‘unlock’ the understanding of a keyword and how it works.

And finally. Get the models that makes you want to paint the most. Tournament rules changes every year, so does what’s good - but in general all crews have a decent fighting chance, as long as you understand the keyword. 

2AA1DAE5-8A32-4A8B-A8B7-589B5FCF0558.jpeg

I much prefer version 2 of dreamer, and bought that and some alterntaive stitched etc. Assuming you can find the right models to pad out the keyword it it shouldnt matter that some of them are from older editions. Depending on what you can get you may need to buy some dulplicates though.