Waldo's Weekly - Gen Con 2021

Waldo

7 hours ago, SEV said:

Quick question: Is it possible to have a game of TOS with only the Court of two starter?

Tracking down the cards...  The preview images are split between website news articles and forums posts.

Guild preview, showing Criid's card and linking to the two Guild Units:  

Sonnia's a +18SS commander, the two units total 10SS.

Court of Two preview.

Kirai:  

Gwysinn:  https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2019/9/4/waldos-weekly-same-ghost-every-night

Enslaved Spirits:  https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2019/10/2/if-you-have-ghosts

Kirai's also +18SS, looks like the units are 9SS.

Compared to the original faction starter boxes, your forces will be a bit small and heavy on upgrades, but shouldn't be a problem putting together a 1 Commander, 0SS force for each.  It'll be easier if you can pick up Thrace and Nyugen (3SS champions, plus a SS for an upgrade).  

Disclaimer:  Wow, it's been about two years since some of those previews.  

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Adran said:

I can't find the TOS cards for all of them anywhere, but I would expect them to be a legal 1 commander force (possibly with some assets required). I think the guild make up a complete force with no assets if you take all models

Thanks Solkan for finding them and linking. What I can also tell from this is I'm not yet good at going through a unit card in TOS and working out how many figures you get for the script, and therefore how many units the box includes. (Its one unit of each I think)

12 hours ago, Adran said:

Thanks Solkan for finding them and linking. What I can also tell from this is I'm not yet good at going through a unit card in TOS and working out how many figures you get for the script, and therefore how many units the box includes. (Its one unit of each I think)

Yeah, it's one of each unit card.  In case it would be helpful for new players...

3 Guild Mages = 1 Squad of 3 (1 model per 40mm base)

6 Gatling Gunners = 1 Squad of 2 100mm bases (3 40mm models per base)

9 Enslaved Spirits = 1 Squad of 3 80mm bases (3 30mm models per base)

3 Gwisin = 1 Squad of 2 (1 model per 40mm base)

Of course, if a person was just starting out, and they wanted to field more units, if they had extra bases they could play a game with more units by putting one model on a base and getting something else to mark the other two members as present or absent.

Notes if a person wants to use these models for both Malifaux and TOS, the box comes with TOS bases.  For M3E basing...

* Gwisin are 40mm in both M3E and TOS.  Choose which base style you prefer.

* Sonnia, the Guild Mages, and Kirai are 30mm in M3E, but 40mm in TOS. Ikiryo is 80mm in TOS, 50mm in M3E (I assume it's the same size as the untitled version...).  So the M3E base will fit on top of the TOS base, and it wouldn't take much to make a ring or something to hold the base in place.  Or you could get fancy with magnets.

* For the Gattling Gunners and Enslaved Spirits, the TOS "fireteam member" bases are the same size as the M3E base, so you can either just play TOS with rounded bases, or M3E with flat bases.

• Thanks 1

I'm sort of surprised that the Vagrant Song pre-order isn't in the Gen Con products page in the webstore, and that it's necessary to go to the board games section (where it shows up without a 'Pre-order' button, and to get to the pre-order button you have to click through to the product page.  🤕

So just letting everyone else know that the pre-order option really is up

https://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/board-and-card-games/products/vagrantsong

but it's harder to find than it should be.

• Agree 1

Dear Wyrd, how are you? Look, I know that you are really busy at Gencon, but if you could update your website when you get a chance. You see, I've been quite excited with all of the artwork you've been showing off, but none of it has made it here yet. Just when you get a spare moment I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much, Regards,

Mal.

Screenshot_20210917-222501.png

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...