Best way to record games?

Maniacal_cackle

10 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I'm hoping to record some vassal games (and the discord chat alongside them), any suggestions on the best app to use?

OBS Streamlabs if you want something "easy" to set up.

OBS Studio if you want something a bit more complicate to set up (still, a bunch of tutorials online) but more customizable/powerfull.

However, IMHO the most important is to record only the Vassal window + the cards windows and have the map big enough in Vassal and perfectly centered.

Which screen size and resolution are you using?

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2020 at 1:15 PM, dannydb said:

ive done a fair few videos here with obs and it takes a little bit of work but you can get the map, and the cards on the screen, though do have to play fairly zoomed out 

see here for some of my videos 

Just started messing with OBS and honestly it's really easy to use imo. Then again I come from a technical background.

I used OBS for my last game, and had two major problems:

• Whenever I swapped to another window within vassal (like the cards), it stretched to take up the entire video.
  • I have ADHD, and I constantly fidget the screen to look around the map.

The first problem is one I'd like to fix. The second one I'll just work on myself xD Maybe I can find a way to make vassal full screen but still big enough to see everything.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 6:03 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

I used OBS for my last game, and had two major problems:

• Whenever I swapped to another window within vassal (like the cards), it stretched to take up the entire video.
  • I have ADHD, and I constantly fidget the screen to look around the map.

The first problem is one I'd like to fix. The second one I'll just work on myself xD Maybe I can find a way to make vassal full screen but still big enough to see everything.

So I'm a total novice with OBS but I'd guess for your window swapping issue that you had Game Capture as your source instead of Display Capture. Try that?

As far as the screen fidget you just have to find the zoom setting in Vassal that best fits your monitor. It probably won't be great and I think that not being able to "pop out" the map for manual resizing is agitating, but Vassal is free and the people coding it don't owe me any favors lol.

• Thanks 1