New and thinking of pigs

Nohwear

I can likely give you a basic pro vs. con of the crew for how it plays if it helps.

Pros

a large amount of healing plus healthy wound count on most pigs means they play well for someone who likes an attrition play style.

a fairly unrestricted summoning capability (compared to many summoning masters) which also adds to it's attrition style. Though you need to bring additional models for your summoning.  

fairly solid damage output (especially within the 6" aura of  Old Major. 

Unbelievable amount of activation potential. Few crews can match the amount of "out of activation" actions (meaning one of your other models causes a friendly model to act) this can allow for more movement or additional attacks. This is increased even more as most pig models can take a wound through reckless to gain an addition action.

In game flexibility - like most summoners you can choose in game what you need to perform your actions and "updrage your piglet's as need be. For example if your opponent creates severe terrain you can grow your piglets into wild boars. If your opponent it trying to stay out of charge range you can upgrade into squeelers for range attacks.  

Cons

This is very much a "bubble crew" which means you have to generally stay within range of other model auras. Especially Old Major as his aura that gives your friendly pigs a positive on damage flips and the desired rams (that can cause healing on most pig's melee attacks.) This crew can struggle with lots of blocking terrain and crew's that can lure models out of position.

Resource hungry - Old Major will have a target on his head like you wouldn't believe and worst of all even though his ram generating aura includes him the rule states "other pigs" meaning he needs to cheat in or stone for the ram in order to heal. He will burn through a lot of stones for damage reduction, and for healing - but thankfully you won't need stones many other places. This crew also needs many of it's high cards for summoning in and upgrading the pigs. Thankfully once summoned upgrading them doesn't require a specific suit but the card values need to be high. This means you often don't have the high cards in hand to cheat in for attacks or damage. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I have tried to avoid that - partially to try to make sure I don't become reliant on him, but also because I feel the sheer amount of flips this crew can make can in theory cycle through cards faster just naturally. 

I am currently trying to rely on the small amount of card cycling that the major has to avoid total disaster... Time will tell if it's enough. 

Part of my reasoning is that I use the Sow with 12 cups, Old Major, and Gracie with 12 cups to layout a massive bubble that can consume scrap markers in exchange for stacks of focus. It is been working great as a wall of angry scheme denial.

This crew has the most insane damage output potential of the whole game. You can have up to 3 lady-justice like running all over the board.
The only thing you'll lack is cards in hand, since you will have to keep them for summoning.
Zoraida as a second master is quite OP, since she provides you with the precious cards you keep spending for new pigs. Big Brain Brin does the job too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

I've heard quite a few people that tend to play the crew with Big Brain Brin to help control your hand and flips a lot better. 

I've played several games with BBB and the best thing he did - Pulled the Strings on Piglet to make it die at end of turn and place an additional marker for Harness the Leyline. But I prefer agressive playstyle and activate my Warpigs early so they can't benefit from Brin's deck tricks.

In our local meta i am undefeated with Ulix, and all the other players complain about how powerfull he is. You can eradicate oponnents with a Wall of Pig (Warpigs, thanks to Old Major are Powerhouses) or you can also do all the interacts you want (thanks to Reckless and Delicious Bacon).The team is card hungry but if you take BBB or Zoraida it's Ok. We discuss about how to counter Ulix but we don't have a consensus about it, also if someone have a good idea on how counter him, i take any idea.

21 minutes ago, Grustufruk said:

In our local meta i am undefeated with Ulix, and all the other players complain about how powerfull he is. You can eradicate oponnents with a Wall of Pig (Warpigs, thanks to Old Major are Powerhouses) or you can also do all the interacts you want (thanks to Reckless and Delicious Bacon).The team is card hungry but if you take BBB or Zoraida it's Ok. We discuss about how to counter Ulix but we don't have a consensus about it, also if someone have a good idea on how counter him, i take any idea.

Ulix can be countered by crews with lots of Terrifying and attacks resisted by WP. 

Nekima with inhuman reflexes can be a pain in the ham if your opponent can deliver her into your deployment turn one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scoffer said:

I've played several games with BBB and the best thing he did - Pulled the Strings on Piglet to make it die at end of turn and place an additional marker for Harness the Leyline. But I prefer agressive playstyle and activate my Warpigs early so they can't benefit from Brin's deck tricks.

Arcane Reservoir alone is worth it, but I can think of a hundred other things that he does, like turn off triggers, end conditions, hand out focused. Give enemies stunned, give enemies slow, push damage on to pigs who will just heal back up or become convenient scheme markers. Brin is hands down one of the best models in the game.

• Agree 1

On 10/22/2019 at 1:23 PM, Scoffer said:

Ulix can be countered by crews with lots of Terrifying and attacks resisted by WP. 

Nekima with inhuman reflexes can be a pain in the ham if your opponent can deliver her into your deployment turn one.

That's the conclusion of our tests and reflexions... Alpha strike or surrender. Yay, Nicodem is back somewhat :) 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, OracleToronto said:

I’ve really wanted to fit Burt in for that sweet trigger on his gun action for a pig to push 8” towards the target - but 9 soul stones makes him compete with BBB who has a much larger net of support and usefulness 

lots a shame that he is not pig or suey - I think that makes more sense than wizz-bang

Burt is Versatile, so 8ss ;) I agree that he's not an easy fit, but at least you don't have to pay the tax 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 3:57 AM, Grustufruk said:

Comment is kind of dated, but I'd imagine Mei Feng will put a lot of pressure on Ulix and the piggies.   Most of her serious pieces have armor, so the pigs will take a bunch of AP to chew through it (Armor Piercing helps, but it's even MORE hand pressure) combined with Vent Steam, which can cause enormous amounts of damage as the pigs attempt to ricochet around. (Old Major will help, but not solve that since his rams are only during the pigs activation).

• Agree 1