Mah-chines!

Mxbedlam

Who has run Mah with her construct sub theme? 

I keep looking at Survivors and Test Subjects and thinking they might show up on the board where they lack on paper. Who's run them and what would you bring with? 

Porkchop seems like a must have. Cooper could be a thing too.  Whiskey Golem? Emissary? Pigapult with some stuffed piglets?

• Like 1

I've a couple of times done a crew of

Mah, Lass, Sparks, Mech Pork, 2x SS Miner, 3x Survivor, Bushwhacker

It's durable and very difficult to pin down (makes a great use of Scamper and can sometimes use Ride the Rails). Now, granted, it would be easy to make the list better but I wanted to test a very "extreme" build and it worked well all three times I used it. Usually the opponent has a pretty limited amount of models that pose a real threat to all your Armor so taking those out early makes for a pretty laid back game. I think that the amount of Armor is actually the biggest upside as it comes as a surprise to most. Some healing would be golden with the Survivor HtK, though.

Their main problem is that Roosters are so bonkers.

40 minutes ago, wizuriel said:

Problem with Mah running a fake foundry crew is if you just run it as foundry with Mei Feng you get the same gameplay, but it's much stronger as she supports the play style. 

That's sort of my thought too. I've had survivors dropped on me by Mei and I hated it. That being said, I think Cooper might be a way to make it work. Possibly an Akaname for spare scrap. 

List could look somethig like: Mah, Lass, Cooper, Akaname, Sparks, Whiskey Golem, 2 Survivors.  Akaname can drop scrap and have Cooper gain poison to summon whiskey gamin to run around and scheme as well.

2 hours ago, wizuriel said:

Problem with Mah running a fake foundry crew is if you just run it as foundry with Mei Feng you get the same gameplay, but it's much stronger as she supports the play style. 

You can't declare Mei if you're Bayou, though. And Mah's Focus Hollering is potent support.

I do agree that you kinda need Metal Gamin to take full advantage of Rail Walking, though.

• Like 1

So after some consideration here's some fun shenanigans you can pull off with test subjects: Traps make them injured which jumps their defense significantly. scamper means that if an enemy cheats they can bounce around in a pit trap and get to absurd Df. Hollerin' can push them into charges.  Obeying an enemy model within 6 of them and cheating down can create a whole smorgasbord of charges thanks to Scamper. Trixie can spend a 5 to make one charge. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheJoyInGaming said:

I am contributing nothing to this thread except to say that the thread title brings me great joy.

If anything I'm good for word play.

New tricks! Put cups of coffee on one of these dudes. Place pit traps on either corner. Have them rush to the pit traps and just jitter around on them the rest of the game to have nearly unkillable outflank models.

• Haha 4

On 9/10/2019 at 4:53 PM, Mrbedlam said:

So after some consideration here's some fun shenanigans you can pull off with test subjects: Traps make them injured which jumps their defense significantly. scamper means that if an enemy cheats they can bounce around in a pit trap and get to absurd Df. Hollerin' can push them into charges.  Obeying an enemy model within 6 of them and cheating down can create a whole smorgasbord of charges thanks to Scamper. Trixie can spend a 5 to make one charge. 

Why does this jump their defence?

1 hour ago, BornOnTheBayou said:

Why does this jump their defence?

Failed Experiment: When this model would reduce its Df and Wp from the injuried condition it instead increased it by that amount.

So in theory you can get them up to injured X and have an insane Df and Wp for 1 round (since you lose all injured at end of the round), but since the test subjects will still take the 1 damage from being in a pit trap you will leave them at 1 wound remaining and at the start of next round they jump back down to Df4 and Wp2. Since they are a 30mm base with a 0" engagement range not sure what you're really going to do with an insane Df & Wp from Failed Experiment. 

25 minutes ago, wizuriel said:

Failed Experiment: When this model would reduce its Df and Wp from the injuried condition it instead increased it by that amount.

So in theory you can get them up to injured X and have an insane Df and Wp for 1 round (since you lose all injured at end of the round), but since the test subjects will still take the 1 damage from being in a pit trap you will leave them at 1 wound remaining and at the start of next round they jump back down to Df4 and Wp2. Since they are a 30mm base with a 0" engagement range not sure what you're really going to do with an insane Df & Wp from Failed Experiment. 

They reduce damage from hazardous terrain to 0 thanks to Happy Accident. So it's possible to get crazy df/wp and stay in full health.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I finally gave this list a test run tonight: Mah, Lass, 2x Test subject (coffee), 2x Rooster, 2x bushwhackers

Game was: Flank, Idols, Assassinate, Deliver, Detonate, Claim Jump, Dig Graves

Vs Tara

I took Claim Jump and Dig Graves. The plan with the test subjects was to put a Trap in the middle of the board and Claim Jump with the Test Subject and just have it jitter in the middle for the game. The other was meant to go chase down idol markers. 

I lost the game, but the Test Subjects were phenomenal. At one point I had a test subject up to 22 DF which is hilarious. He attacked Nothing Beast and never once cared about theTerrifying check. So, I think this is a solid tech piece to add into a Tricksy crew when you want to hold a point forever. 

On 10/29/2019 at 4:52 AM, Mrbedlam said:

I finally gave this list a test run tonight: Mah, Lass, 2x Test subject (coffee), 2x Rooster, 2x bushwhackers

Game was: Flank, Idols, Assassinate, Deliver, Detonate, Claim Jump, Dig Graves

Vs Tara

I took Claim Jump and Dig Graves. The plan with the test subjects was to put a Trap in the middle of the board and Claim Jump with the Test Subject and just have it jitter in the middle for the game. The other was meant to go chase down idol markers. 

I lost the game, but the Test Subjects were phenomenal. At one point I had a test subject up to 22 DF which is hilarious. He attacked Nothing Beast and never once cared about theTerrifying check. So, I think this is a solid tech piece to add into a Tricksy crew when you want to hold a point forever. 

How did it get to 22 def if it loses injured at the end of the round?

What happened there? Oo

On 10/29/2019 at 6:52 AM, Mrbedlam said:

You need to add some Som'er to make it perfect (: An immortal bomb, dealing 2+2+2 damage in (2), is something nobody wants to get close to.

Make Me Proud (Bayou) Size: 50 - Pool: 6

Leader: Som'er Teeth Jones

Totem(s): Skeeter Skeeter 2

Hires: Test Subject

Test Subject 2

Lenny Jones

Sparks LeBlanc

Test Subject 3

Gremlin Crier

Banjonista

References: Drunk and Stupid Good Ol' Boy Spit Hog Bayou Gremlin Gremlin Crier Banjonista Skeeter

To just go all in on this stupidity. 

51 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

Make Me Proud (Bayou) Size: 50 - Pool: 6

Leader: Som'er Teeth Jones

Totem(s): Skeeter Skeeter 2

Hires: Test Subject

Test Subject 2

Lenny Jones

Sparks LeBlanc

Test Subject 3

Gremlin Crier

Banjonista

References: Drunk and Stupid Good Ol' Boy Spit Hog Bayou Gremlin Gremlin Crier Banjonista Skeeter

To just go all in on this stupidity. 

Maybe remove third subject and banjonista, take Pigapult and give coffee to subjects? Two sources of explosive death is always better.

2 minutes ago, Scoffer said:

Maybe remove third subject and banjonista, take Pigapult and give coffee to subjects? Two sources of explosive death is always better.

Nah. I think the 3rd Subject is more versatile than the Pult. The alpha strike might not be the right way for this as its a bit all in. Instead wait for them to position for you in turn 2 when you have everything ready to go. That way if you need to send a subject running to scheme run you can. and Banjo is needed to move EVERYTHING up all at once. Plus condition removal. That 2 inches on all your models makes a big difference

16 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

Nah. I think the 3rd Subject is more versatile than the Pult. The alpha strike might not be the right way for this as its a bit all in. Instead wait for them to position for you in turn 2 when you have everything ready to go. That way if you need to send a subject running to scheme run you can. and Banjo is needed to move EVERYTHING up all at once. Plus condition removal. That 2 inches on all your models makes a big difference

It's not an alfpha strike thing at all. Subjects are sz2, so you can't throw them with the Pigapult, they have to walk into position on foot anyway. 

3 hours ago, Scoffer said:

It's not an alfpha strike thing at all. Subjects are sz2, so you can't throw them with the Pigapult, they have to walk into position on foot anyway. 

Thats where Lenny and Criers come in. They can obey or toss the Subjects to get where they need to go. 

15 hours ago, OracleToronto said:

so I can see the fun/flith of exploding Test Subjects with make me proud as they can't get killed by the effect - but what is it that Sparks is doing in that list?

Making the subjects even more of a frustration to get rid of. SO you got this nigh immortal exploding chicken in your crew, and if you try to kill it, it will just keep exploding on you. If you push it away, it charges somewhere else AND Sparks can sneak in close and stop them from targetting models in range to heal or push out.