Ulix Turner Crew - New Player

english_boar

Hello all,

I have recently decided on a Jack Daw list but I am wanting at least another two to be able to use / lend to others for games / to play against my sons with.

Same as the Jack Daw post, I am a Rule of Cool player aiming to use models purely for aesthetic purposes but would like there to be some sort coherency within the force if possible.

As such, I have come up with the following:
Ulix Turner
Penelope
Old Major
The Sow
Swine-Cursed x2
Wild Boar x2

This would leave me with a SS cache of 4.

Any pointers / suggestions / other is appreciated :)

I think an Ulix crew with two swinecursed needs at least one hog whisperer. Whisperer can get a mask for all their actions with Tools for the job, attack a Swinecursed and give him fast, glowy and an extra action. Or summon a piglet and obey it to give both swinecursed fast and 2-3 glowy.

57 minutes ago, english_boar said:

Piglet summoning sounds like a plan! 

Are there any other models that Ulix can summon?

Not directly. Ulix's primary method is to summon Piglets, and then Grow them into larger PIG's (Minion only).

There are other Summons (Somer for Big Hat, Sammy and Taxis for Stuffed/Flying, Spawn Mother for Gupps, and Cooper for Whiskey Gamin), but none of those fit the Ulix engine.

Side note, with Ulix getting a surname, anyone know what relation he has to Popcorn, if any? 

3 hours ago, Rufess said:

What do you think about Swine Cursed with Ulix?
Most support trick in the crew is pointing to Pigs rather than Sooey, so actually the Cursed has little to none synergy with the crew.

This is something I'm trying to work out, what works whilst fitting the aesthetics I like.

Am I best off dropping the Cursed and running a Whisperer?

1 hour ago, english_boar said:

This is something I'm trying to work out, what works whilst fitting the aesthetics I like.

Am I best off dropping the Cursed and running a Whisperer?

As was pointed out in another thread, you kind of want a Whisperer AND a SwineCursed or two.

The ability for the Whisperer to give two Actions (Stick Em and Fast) and a Glowy Token to a Cursed, for one action and 1 damage, is awesome.

And Herd Em for a third for a fairly easy TN, if you want it.

For me, at least early on, it'll be a Whisperer and 2 Swine Cursed, or no Swine Cursed.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Rufess said:

What do you think about Swine Cursed with Ulix?
Most support trick in the crew is pointing to Pigs rather than Sooey, so actually the Cursed has little to none synergy with the crew.

Swinecursed are Beasts, so they can be healed by Ulix and targeted with Herd 'em (without a built-in suit), Ulix can ride them. And they are very good themself.

47 minutes ago, Scoffer said:

Swinecursed are Beasts, so they can be healed by Ulix and targeted with Herd 'em (without a built-in suit), Ulix can ride them. And they are very good themself.

They still not appeal to me when comparing with say Wild Boar which has the same cost. The Cursed may be more tanky, but being a Pig, the Wild Boar receives more support from the crew.

I will give them a shot next time I play Ulix anyway.

1 hour ago, Rufess said:

They still not appeal to me when comparing with say Wild Boar which has the same cost. The Cursed may be more tanky, but being a Pig, the Wild Boar receives more support from the crew.

Ulix can put three Wild Boars on the table for free turn one, that's why I never hire them.

Swinecursed are very good for Plant the explosives: with a little help from a single Hog Whisperer they can move up to 15" and drop a bomb turn one. After that they are ready to fight.

1 hour ago, Scoffer said:

Ulix can put three Wild Boars on the table for free turn one, that's why I never hire them.

Swinecursed are very good for Plant the explosives: with a little help from a single Hog Whisperer they can move up to 15" and drop a bomb turn one. After that they are ready to fight.

So I may as well drop all Wild Boars and fill accordingly?

So keeping the Whisperer and both Cursed?

1 hour ago, Scoffer said:

That's fair. I have not thought this way before. So is it safe to say that the Cursed is just another Wild Boar that does not take the space of Boar?

47 minutes ago, english_boar said:

So I may as well drop all Wild Boars and fill accordingly?

So keeping the Whisperer and both Cursed?

You can drop both Wild Boars and take a Hog Whisperer and a Bokor. Bokors are great for healing, card draw and obey.

22 minutes ago, english_boar said:

Cool, thank you.

Are there any Squealer models for the summoning process, I can't find any?

They don't yet exist. They'll come out sometime over the next 12 months most likely. Their rules will be in the bayou book

15 hours ago, english_boar said:

Also, flicking the rules I've noticed several mentions of markers.

What markers should I be looking at getting and best places for them? 

The number and type of markers will vary from crew and game, but in general

Scheme markers (30mm) are needed by most crews to score points for schemes. Some games you may not need any. Most crews will probably want 6 or so, and a few crews use them as a resource so may want a greater number.

Corpse/scrap markers (30mm). Generally when a model dies its remains are left on the table. If you are playing living or undead models you want corpse markers. If you are playing Constructs you want scrap markers. Some crews will use these markers as resources.

Blast Markers (50mm). Some attacks have the :blast. This means the attack does blast damage and you put a 50mm marker down for each :blastin the attack to find out what other modles get hit. 3 is probably enough in total because they are only down for a few seconds at a time. You can get by with 2 (as if you need a third you can take the first off the board, noting who it hit and use it as a third marker).

Stratergy Markers (30 mm). Corrupted idols and turf war need 5 strategy markers. Plant explosives needs 5 markers each. Reckoning doesn't need any.  New strategies may need different markers or different numbers but we are unlikely to get any new strategies until at least 2020.

Several models will produce markers (such as the widow weaver will make web markers). These markers are 30mm unless it says otherwise (the web marker is 50 mm). Most of these are 30mm, some are 50 mm. There may be a few 40mm markers but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

You can use blank bases if you want. You can cut them out of card, you can buy them from lots of different wood/acrylic cutting companies (most of mine have come from Bendyboards, Art of war or counter attack because those were people I knew or convenient for me. I got good service from them and like their stuff, but there are lots and lots of places out there that do good stuff).

As long as you know what the marker is in a set game you could use them as different things in different games. I have  a set of markers from relic knights kickstarter that have the tokens in a range of numbers, so in 1 game I might use all the number 1 markers as scheme markers, but in the next game I might use them as corpse, and next time use them as scrap, because that was the most common number and so it has the number I need.

A different example is I have a set of explosive markers I made, which I might use as the strategy markers for a plant explosives game, but in a different game I can use them as scheme markers because they fit my crew.

You might want crew specific scheme markers (so make all the ulix ones look like buckets of slop for example), or you might want a generic set that any crew can use..

15 hours ago, english_boar said:

When Demised, the Cursed can have a Piglet or a Bayou Gremlin.

I assume the piglets are my best option here?

If you're using him in Ulix then yes, most of the time piglets will be your best option.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:28 AM, Rufess said:

I think for me swinecursed stand out over wild boars because of spawning a piglet when they die vs. a scheme marker and the fact you can get irreducible damage on the tusks attack vs. just ignoring armor.