Shenlong Lists

INXVI

14 hours ago, TheMoxiousOne said:

My list is fairly weird, but I've had a lot of fun running it. I've swapped the McCabe for Izamu a few times, but the deep stone pool allows for getting what you need on both masters, while still being able to pitch stones for more cards consistently; hope this list helps! 

I also like using OOK picks and weird lists but I'm not sure if I understand well yours...

McArtifacts can only be attached by minions (outside of his keyword), in that list the students and the 2 Fermented Monks; which doesn't seem that good with them. A big weakness is this list has no scrap generator, so McCabe will play without one of his more powerful strenghts (McArtifacts) until you can kill something to use the bodies... unless you plan to butcher the poor students and make a sword and a mask with their remains!... Ok, that was dark.

Fermented Ninja is a bit akward... you'll want both together for a bit of drunk buffing and they can't get that much use out of stealth and from the shadows nor can put a lot of pressure early from afar in the enemy crew. No LRM/Tanuki so all the healing relies in the students which requires shenlong with the LRM style; Sensei Yu is a good support but has few monk to support and the non-totem ones will be ninja-drinking in the other point of the table. Plus this list has few models to score...

How did you make that work!? :D

I'd try something like this for a Shenlong McCabe double master, this is untested so I'm not sure how well that would work tho:

• Shenlong, Student, Student, McCabe, Luna, Huckster, Low River, High River, High River. 4SS

Here you have 2 good scrap generators (Luna and Huckster) that may let McCabe put artifacts in the 2 HRM from turn 1 and also generate some card draw (remember the arifact holders can pass artifacts around to give fast to other minions and the dog helps a lot with this, but that compete with the HRM "Risky Maneuver").

The LRM as a healer and for Chi/Artifacts shenanigans where needed. McCabe and the Huckster could probably handle schemes while Shenlong and the monks go bananas. I'd expend part of the turn 1 buffing Shenlong because he'll need to rely in chi for defense (low cache).

The above is the "base idea", there could be some ways to twist this crew and I don't know which one would work better... For example you could drop the LRM/Huckster to increase cache to 8-9SS or 6-7 including a "silent protector" for a HRM that goes really well with the Phantasmal Mask for example reducing the scrap/healing of the crew.

About the Izamu... it is a good beatstick and the reliquary in shenlong is good (not as good as the Manos one, but that one cannot be hired OOK) but you'd need to wait for him to die to get it... I'd go with this list for that idea:

• Shenlong, Student, Student, Izamu (Silent Protector), Yasunori, Chiaki, Wandering, Low, Tanuki. 5SS

In turn 1 Chiaki uses "split the soul" (use SS to discard and draw for a mask if needed) to put Reliquary(Izamu) in Shenlong (so Armor+1 and Ruthless), note Chiaki is out of the range of her own ability so split the soul cannot attach her own Reliquary to other models. Silent protector in Izamu would be important to give him H2K so the other monks can heal him before he is killed (in this crew he cannot be resurrected, making him hard to kill is a good idea). Izamu is very slow so probably giving him a head start with the Wandering River Style using 1 of Shenlong AP and/or 1 of the students' would be a good idea.

Chiaki is a slow machine with Dispel Magic and has also other utility spells (Beckoning call to speed up the beaters/lure enemies and Spirit Flute to move Izamu a bit will be the more useful), she is a bit fragile but if she is killed then an extra Reliquary for Shenlong or any beater close to her will be attached (so she should be always close to one of the big guys). Low river, Tanuki and Students in healing/buffing/scheming role as needed, Wandering is the dedicated schemer.

Again there is room for twists (for example Masked Agent could be needed if shenlong needs to ignore defensive triggers and it'll also give some mobility to other beaters of the crew, in that case maybe hire the lone swordman instead of Yasunori) or some changes could be made to include an archer for the scheme denial.

Hope it helps!

On 11/7/2019 at 1:35 PM, Linar said:

This weekend I go to the UK national with Shelong as the only master. I'll tell you how it went.

But I have faith in catching a podium, it seems to me that right now he is one of the strongest masters.

The mad lad delivered!

Took first place in the UK National with Shenlong!

Hope we can get some bullet points on how things went.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, frumpypigskin said:

Someone said you brought Ototo and Minako Rei?!!?! Can't wait to hear about it @Linar

Did he? That's great to hear! It's good that players thinking outside of the box can win a tournament. I'm also looking forward to read those reports :)

Some theortyfaux about those 2 models: Minako needs shadow markers or scrap to create Katashiros, which are pretty good scheme runners and she is a tricky model to dealt with thanks to her karma shenanigans (a misscalculation from the other player may lead to have also a Wanyudo in the table and/or Minako dealing a lot of irreductible damage). Ototo bring those markers, plus he is a good beater and Shenlong is in LoS more often than Misaki to trigger the slow from his Tactical action. Doing this in a Shenlong crew is even better because summoning both Katashiros in turn 1 will force both Minako and Ototo to stand still, but the Monk crew has some pushes to help them with positioning (I guess the idea is push Minako and Ototo to give that head start to the Katashiros).

With that configuration that crew got 2 scary models to go and face the other crew (Minako and Ototo), 2 disposable scheme runners and some crowd control with Ototo's slow, all for just 19 SS, 2 Severes and a few pushes from the students in turn 1, which is quite efficient.

A Terracota would be also quite good with those 2. It may help to create 2 shadow markers without forcing Ototo to stand still in turn 1, and that tactical action is not hard to mimic (only a 7), which "free" Ototo's AP to smash things instead of controling them.

this is the list I've heard he used in every game:

Shenlong

7 cache

2 Students

Low River Monk 4

Ototo 11

Minako 8

Kitty Dumont 10

Yasunori 10

lots of movement Shenanigans with Kitty Dumont and Students and fast models with Shen and Yas

lots of beaters with Shenlong, Ototo, Yas

lots of scheme running potential with Katashiro and Kitty

healing with LRM and Shen (if desperate for some healing)

lots of SS for suits, cards and dmg prevention

This is a really good and well thought out list!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cursed25 said:

this is the list I've heard he used in every game:

Shenlong

7 cache

2 Students

Low River Monk 4

Ototo 11

Minako 8

Kitty Dumont 10

Yasunori 10

lots of movement Shenanigans with Kitty Dumont and Students and fast models with Shen and Yas

lots of beaters with Shenlong, Ototo, Yas

lots of scheme running potential with Katashiro and Kitty

healing with LRM and Shen (if desperate for some healing)

lots of SS for suits, cards and dmg prevention

This is a really good and well thought out list!

Yes, that’s exactly the list I’ve used. I had to play quite a lot to find the best balance, but I am really happy with the result. However, I have to say that Shenlong is a really strong master itself! When I have a moment I will report every game ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Pyromage said:

I thought no proxies were allowed ?

I don't think anyone actually cares about proxy models as long as they are clear - that's was my experience at Nats, and generally in the UK community.

Feeding Minako with Ottoto is a great idea - she's surprisingly survivable, and the Katashiro are damn fantastic, and Ottoto does good work when allowed to.

• Agree 1