Counterspell, am I undervaluing it?

Ender101

The Witch Hunter signature ability, Counterspell seems fairly lackluster to my admittedly rusty eye (no relation to Alyce). Having to be in an opposed duel, and within Aura 6 to make triggers more difficult seems very hit or miss. I like that it attacks the hand, but I'm not sure it is on par with other keyword abilities.

Add to that the Witch Hunters are pretty split in theme between Witchlings and Witch Hunters, I can't help but wonder how often it is coming up for people in their games, and if I am simply undervaluing the ability or not. What are people's experiences so far?

I think its an ability that is quite dependent on who you are facing. There are some models and crews that love their triggers, and adding more cost to doing those is potnatially crippling.

There are some models that don't rely on triggers, but are happy to reach them (triggers like critical strike) that you are forcing to make tough choices over.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Are you often getting your Counterspell models into melee/close enough to make use of the ability? My kneejerk reaction is that opponents want to shoot them off the table anyways as they'll be choking on Witchlings. It seems good on Sonnia who wants to be centerfield to blast the vast majority of the table and keep stuff in her LoS after setting them on fire.

Maybe that's the answer, that the range attacks of opponents are meant to be shortened by setting them on fire and Sonnia giving them a dirty look?

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

A quick sanity check about this ability. The model has to discard the card as an extra cost for the trigger after flipping and cheating, not before the duel right?

And Rasputina's Ice Mirror would also work like that, discarding as a pay per trigger, not before flipping.

11 hours ago, Ogid said:

A quick sanity check about this ability. The model has to discard the card as an extra cost for the trigger after flipping and cheating, not before the duel right?

And Rasputina's Ice Mirror would also work like that, discarding as a pay per trigger, not before flipping.

That's right. Perform Duel, then Declare trigger, discarding a card to do so 

• Thanks 1