Are You In With The New?

Jesy Blue

Albus von Schtook, Cornelius Basse, Euripides, Yokou Hamasake

Are anyone using them or their crews?   Are people waiting for the models to drop before using them?  Are you banned from proxying in your tournaments so you can't play them? 

If you too have run them, how do you feel, about their inclusion?  Do they balance?  Are they underpowered?  Overpowered? Do they not work well together?  Have you found a huge exploit or flaw?

I've run a couple of friendly games with Youko, using Performers (Geisha), Despreate Mercenary (Charm Warder), Kang & Yamaziko (Kabuki Warriors), Student of Conflict (Chiyo), Viktoria (Yokou), and an actual Hinamatsu.  I keep the Proxies the same game to game, and have the explanations printed up for all to see (and so to remind myself). 

My big revolution about Qi and Gong is it's up to your opponent to make you better.  Leverage cannot really kick in until the beginning of Turn 3, and that's only if you opponent scores a scheme, NOT THE STRATEGY, because not scoring on purpose is a tactic!  Until then, having only 1 or 2 Pass Tokens a Turn, if that, almost does nothing for you and the crew stumbles.  You can bully them with Shady Dealings, but until they score a Scheme, you flounder.  It's gonna take a lot more play throughs to figure out a way around this successfully.

What about you?  Let's speak on this!

PS: ... and to a lesser extent, Dashel Barker and/or Nekima crews too!

I will eventually pick up Basse to help fill out my Guild.  Right now I am waiting on the new Lucius Box to drop as that is the crew I plan on building next.  I'm going to follow that up with Nellie and then Dashel.

I am fairly new to Malifaux, so my miniature stock pile isn't huge yet.  I did go on a little bit of a spending spree after finding out that I was going to be getting a promotion at work, and picked up all Marshal and Family Keywords.  I have been enjoying painting them up, and the few game I've played have been a blast.  However, Basse seems to be more of a weird "I make my own terrain" kind of crew.  I'm looking at picking up a control master, a scheme focused master, and a summoner before I branch out into picking up masters that do "weird tricks".

(That being said, our local group has no issues with proxies.  We have one henchman, me who has almost finished completing two full keywords, someone that's bought two crews but hasn't finished assembling and painting either, someone that has one partial crew that they are working on assembling and painting, and the three new people that we've let proxy everything to find what they like.  If we didn't allow proxies, our games would be very limited.)

• Thanks 1

I've been playing von schtook's crew using proxies.

I plan on playing Euripides as well, but seeing as his crew is a lot of 50mm models, I don't really have enough to proxy him.

I'm pretty new to malifaux as well, I play mostly with 1 friend who doesn't mind proxy obviously.

• Thanks 1

I know it is a little taboo to talk about this on the wyrd forums, but you could use other miniatures lines for proxies. I have a local shop that sells heroclix singles for 25 cents each that make good proxies. And if you want to stay in wyrd, there are Tis minis. 

Von Schtook with proxies. Don't play tourneys really as there aren't many around here.

He and his crew are quite good. I might get bored with them over time if I only played them, but with M3E I feel more inclined to switch masters from game to game rather than main just one. I've already played some masters I've never played in M2E. I do think Von Schtook will be one I keep going back for ease of play though. He runs pretty straight forward with just enough tricks to keep him interesting (for a while). 

The crew can feel like a hard counter to any crew that relies on Conditions or Scrap/Corpse markers. Von Schtook can easily remove conditions and cause damage at the same time and several models can turn Scrap/Corpses into Scheme markers. 

I'm sticking with my Rail Crew/Foundry main but i've pre ordered Von Schtook for some new ressers to paint but i've got Youko, Kinoichi, hinamatsu, charm warders and Bunraku on order to really get into Ten Thunders proper rather than technically being an Arcanist player for the most part. Her abilities and pass token mechanics are really interesting and a nice change to the aggressive 'set up your rail network and keep the pressure on' of Mei and her Metal Golem/Gamins.

Plus Sekiro got me in the mood to paint something inspired by the Fountainhead Palace in that game 😛

• 2 weeks later...

I'd want to wait until the official releases come out. I play Res and am also wondering if McMourning is getting a new box, since we haven't seen anything yet from him.

Feels like I've got enough learning to do with the masters I already have before I start proxying as new ones!