Stormsiren lure and Distance

unknownuser65

Question

Ola Nerdmigos. We cannot figure out how to properly play the siren. If you can a little help would be much appreciated.

So how far are enemies lured?

A Just touching a pool?

B Into the pool up to the middle?

C Up to full distance through the pool along a line determined by the original position of the center of the fireteam and the pool. 

For me it seems like C or maybe B but the rules are not 100% clear for me on this point.

Thanks for the support

13 answers to this question

1 minute ago, unknownuser65 said:

The issue at hand is that towards only says ends closer. I guess the term closer is in relation to the starting point. So i could actually move the target past the center of the pool. Or is there anything in the rules contradicting this thought?

Toward and Away: "Some movement effects cause objects to move “toward” something or “away” from something. When this happens, the object in question is moved directly toward or away from the indicated object in a straight line, using the center of the object for reference. If the object is moving “toward” something, it must end its movement closer to that object, if possible. If it is moving “away” from something, it must end its movement farther from that object, if possible."

So, when the Stormsiren Siren's Call you to move towards a Tide Pool, the point you're moving towards is not actually the Tide Pool but the center point of it.  All movement must be in straight lines, and you have to end the movement as close as possible to it.

Measuring distances in this game "is always done from the closest point of the object in question to the closest point of the target."  Once you hit 0" away, you can't "get closer" to them.

Even if we assume that we're supposed to measure the distance to the actual center of the tide pool (as opposed to just moving directly towards the center).  You'd still stop as soon as your front edge hits the center of the tide pool.

I think the "center" is just the reference point for the direction and not the distance. When you touch the tidepool, your distance from the tidepool is 0". You can`t get closer to 0" so you stop.

That being said, I might be entirely wrong about it but thats kind of how I would see it.

• Agree 1

On 1/16/2019 at 5:25 PM, Clement said:

Measuring distances in this game "is always done from the closest point of the object in question to the closest point of the target."  Once you hit 0" away, you can't "get closer" to them.

Even if we assume that we're supposed to measure the distance to the actual center of the tide pool (as opposed to just moving directly towards the center).  You'd still stop as soon as your front edge hits the center of the 

Where does it stop you and why? The ability states target enemy moves its speed toward siren or pool. Toward only specifies "it must end its movement closer to that object" which you are still doing when moving up to the center. As the distance to the pool remains 0, which less than the original distance.

Also does the rest of the unit have to move toward? As the trigger does not contain the term toward.But only says move. If the rest would move also move toward you can by positioning make yourself immune against the lure effect by park in ng only one base back against another unit's fireteam. This Feels just wrong to me. 

1 minute ago, unknownuser65 said:

Also does the rest of the unit have to move toward? As the trigger does not contain the term toward.

FIRETEAMS AND MOVING: When a Fireteam is moved by an Action or Ability of another unit, that Fireteam is moved up to a maximum distance allowed by the Action or Ability. If the Fireteam is part of a Squad, every other Fireteam in the Squad moves as well, but only up to half the maximum distance allowed by the Action or Ability. The player that controls the Action or Ability may choose which Fireteam to move first, and all movement must still follow the rules for Formation.

Yes, you always move the whole unit as per Interactions With Squads.  The trigger only increases the movement to full instead of half distance for the non-targeted Fireteams.

12 hours ago, retnab said:

Yes, you always move the whole unit as per Interactions With Squads.  The trigger only increases the movement to full instead of half distance for the non-targeted Fireteams.

That is clear. The whole unit moves and must adhere to the formation rules. However the part concerning moving "toward" is not. The trigger states full distance instead of half but does not mention the toward part.

I know I am picky, but I do not like to cheat/wrong play.

5 minutes ago, unknownuser65 said:

That is clear. The whole unit moves and must adhere to the formation rules. However the part concerning moving "toward" is not. The trigger states full distance instead of half but does not mention the toward part.

I know I am picky, but I do not like to cheat/wrong play.

The trigger does not change the direction, it only changes the distance.

28 minutes ago, unknownuser65 said:

The trigger mentions no change in where the the other fireteams have to go.  So why do you think not mentioning a change would result in a change?

On 1/18/2019 at 12:45 PM, trikk said:

I think the "center" is just the reference point for the direction and not the distance. When you touch the tidepool, your distance from the tidepool is 0". You can`t get closer to 0" so you stop.

That being said, I might be entirely wrong about it but thats kind of how I would see it.

I agree with this statetement, moreover, we move fireteam towards the pool, not towards the center. The center is just reference for the direction of that move. However, when the fireteam comes into base contact with the pool, it still takes a hazard hit (if siren is in glory) and when it activates in base contact with it.