Need help with Molly

PolyKnight

Hello!!

Somewhat new to Malifaux and new to Ressers.   I've been reading the wiki over and over and I've landed on Molly as my first Resser master.  I've also got a great interest in Kirai and Yan Lo, so any overlap would be great.

I plan on picking up Molly's crew this week and a box of Belles, but other then that, just not sure what to builds towards.  I know I can build for spirits with Molly, which helps with Kirai.  But no idea which spirits I'd want.  Sadly, the Kirai crew box is out of stock at my FLGS, otherwise I'd like just pick that up.

So any buying advice after Molly and Belles?

Thanks for any help!!

PK.

Definitely pick up the Seamus box. Sybelle is good with molly. Depending on which way you want to go with her you need punk zombies to summon. if you want overlap with Kirai then go spirit molly and get Datsue Bae. She is good on both Kirai and Molly crews. Izamu is also a good pick up for spirit Molly. hanged are a must have to summon for spirit Molly i think.

It all comes down to how you want to play her, horror or spirit?

• Agree 1

Belles show up in *a lot* of Resurrectionist lists because they neatly answer our general lack of good ranged attacks by just dragging in the enemy targets.  They also can be used  to move your own stuff around in a pinch.  Molly can also summon them, regardless of if you go spirit or horror flavored.

Madam Sybelle is nice because she's able to place Molly next to herself as a bonus action, saving Molly's precious AP for casting her spells and summoning dudes.

If you want to go "full spirit" molly, you can get by without them, but in the long run if you progress further into ressers, Belles especially will turn up in a lot of lists.

When it comes to buying belles, you have to ask yourself if you will EVER be interested in Seamus...   Because you can't buy him alone, so when/if you do he'll come with 3 *more* belles in addition to the ones you might have purchased separately.  The box ends up being an excellent price point also even if you just leave Seamus and his totem on a shelf for a few years.

By the way, if you're OK with never owning Seamus and decide you do want Madam Sybelle and the Belles, you can get them individually from some 3rd party sites.  They also did a more "stately" version of Madam Sybelle named Emeline Bellerose who was a limited run, but turns up on ebay and maybe Wyrd's website from time to time.   Wyrd might sell her in their Black Friday stuff.

That's a huge response, thank you so much everyone!

So I spent the evening reading the wiki and trying to re-digest everything.  I can really see why Belles are pretty close to a 'must take'.

If I pick up both the Molly and Seamus boxes I could make a list that looks like this:

Molly

-Philip and the Nanny

-Madame Sybelle

Crooligan x 3

Belles x 3

45 SS

I guess I could use a little help with getting up to a 50ss list.  Do I pay for the Belles or just summon them in?  Being a little budget smart, maybe its better to start off playing Horror theme, since I have the 3 Crooligans...I know I said spirits but..

You're forgetting 2 big things.  Soulstone cache and upgrades.  As a summoner, Molly is going to want some extra soulstones around to spend on crows for her summoning.  You'll also want upgrades for your models.  At the very least, I'd likely suggest something like this.

Molly

Forgotten Life/Path (depends on horrors or spirits)

-Philip and the Nanny

Haunting Cries (it's free!)

Take Back the Night (nice card draw when you kill stuff with your summons)

-Madame Sybelle

Bleeding Tongue (extra triggers for Sybelle are nice)

Not Too Banged Up (makes Lure work better)

Crooligan x 3

Belles x 3

Cache of 6

You might also consider dropping a Belle and a Crooligan to make room for a large "hitter" or some kind like Izamu or Rogue Necro or something (depending on spirit or horror flavored).

The crooligans can be good scheme runners in either flavor of list.  In a horror list they have some extra synergy, but in a spirit list they'll just need to stay clear of the central fight and do their scheming things.

Belles aren't a must have, but they are a strong unit and can be summoned by her . 

Until you have models to summon you probably don't really need to choose which ' path' to take. Unless you have a good reason to buy lots at once I'd suggest playing a few games with a simple list and seeing what you like and what to expand on. The Seamus box is probably a cheap way to get to 50 ss ( the normal size played) whilst still likely to use lots of the stuff when you own several 100 ss for your Mollie lists.   

I have to agree with Adran that Belles are good but not a 'one plus' miniature to have.  I play Molly plenty of times without them.  Indeed, I slightly feel like they're counter to the main thrust of my Molly game play, which is to ram Molly down the other crew's throat at the earliest opportunity and keep them busy with summons while the rest of my crew scores points.  Having the Lure is a bit of a temptation to hang back and draw your victims in piecemeal.

It's a little dated but there is some good discussion about Molly in this thread.  It's arguably as close to a Molly tactica as we currently have on this forum and notably has several different approaches to playing a Molly crew.

For my side, I very much enjoy Spirit Molly.  I have numerous threads in the battle reports forum; this is the most recent.  I find it's easier to digest playstyles by reading battle reports rather than rather abstract tactica.

Thank you again everyone for the help!  It's very much appreciated.

After some thought and reading all the great responses here, the wiki a little more and the links, I decided to pick up the Molly box, Seamus box and the Rogue Necro.  I'll start my Molly journey with the base box for a bit and then get into the horror side of things before branching out into spirits.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

PK

• Like 1

I'll chime in, as someone who recently got Molly. I'm taking her down her Horror path, and here's my wish list:

Punk Zombies (just bought 'em)

Archie

Rogue Necromancy

Kentauroi

I'm not grabbing the Belles on their own in case I decide on trying Seamus at some point, and having just bought Molly, I'd prefer not to grab another master right away :D