Starting Kirai

Against my better judgment I have decided that my second master is going to be Kirai. I presently have mcmouring so want to go for something a little more summoning based. Having looked through the various summoners, Kirai is the one for me. 

I have looked through various bits of information , and have drawn the conclusion that you need to buy allot of models to make her work. But as its a big investment in both time and money im trying to work out the best way to approach things.. 

I also imagine she will take some learning, so im wondering if there is a way to build the crew more slowly then just get all the models at once. 

basically im wondering what few boxes can I get to begin with to learn the core of her working before getting the rest. 

Cheers 

6 hours ago, Coyotebreaks said:

Against my better judgment I have decided that my second master is going to be Kirai. I presently have mcmouring so want to go for something a little more summoning based. Having looked through the various summoners, Kirai is the one for me. 

I have looked through various bits of information , and have drawn the conclusion that you need to buy allot of models to make her work. But as its a big investment in both time and money im trying to work out the best way to approach things.. 

I also imagine she will take some learning, so im wondering if there is a way to build the crew more slowly then just get all the models at once. 

basically im wondering what few boxes can I get to begin with to learn the core of her working before getting the rest. 

Cheers 

You may be able to get less then you think...   While she has a lot of thematic models you'll likely want "eventually", some are certainly sooner rather then later.  Kirai actually wants a good number of living/undead things standing around to help get the ikiryo out to go murdering.  Here's the stuff I'd suggest...

Sooner:

Datsue Ba + 3 Seishin:  She's a solid 2nd line piece and you want those Seishin.

Shikome:  This one is a crossover for you!   Since they got cheaper, they're a pretty good hitter, barreling in as a cruise missile after whatever you want.  They play well with McMourning's poison theme also, hence crossover.

Drowned:  Kirai's crew needs some durable spirits around, and these are your dudes.

Phillip and the Nanny:  Card drawing engine goodness.  He's also a spirit, and undead, so he's everything you could want in a support piece.

Later:

Izamu: He might be in the sooner pile actually.  He's a fantastic wrecking ball who absolutely sings with Kirai.  His main problem is he's *slow* and Kirai solves that beautifully.

Hanged:  There are a few times a hanged will totally wreck something, but generally they're kind of bland.  What Hanged *do* do well is draw an amazing amount of attention.  Every time I've ever summoned a hanged ever, my opponents have dropped everything into murdering it.  It makes a good decoy, and normally takes 2 AP to put down at least, so net gain for team Kirai.

Night Terrors:  Good distraction pieces, these are some DEEPLY fiddly models to assemble and store though.

Some day:

Gaki: I think I summoned one of these once?  They're a ton of fun to paint and are a ready source of corpse removal if you're worried about that.

Goryo: Famously hard to assemble/paint.  They're yet another source of Seishin.  In theory they're another useful hitter, but after Shikome got cheaper, I have a tough time reaching for these.  They *need* another model to get adversary on the target for them.  They are garbage at it themselves.

Edited by Clement
Phillip gets the promotion
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Coyotebreaks said:

I have the shamus and Yan Lo boxes, plus extra canine remains , a flesh construct, Rafkin the carrion emissary, necro punks and beeat noire

It seems like you've got most of you'll want to hire, you just need to add some summons and I think Celment did a good job of hitting those.

You'll need to figure out how you are planning on fueling Kirai's summoning when you build your crew.

It looks like you've got a Nurse and a Flesh Construct which is a popular way to do it. The Flesh Construct is a bunch of cheap Wds. and the Nurse can heal him to full if needed.

Some people use Datsue Ba and/or a Goryo to get a bunch of Seishin out to summon from.

Night Terrors can be a cheap source of Wds as well. They are good for a cheap summon followed by a bigger summon.

I played against someone that brought Carrion Emissary, Asura Rotten, and put Maniacal Laugh on Kirai to allow her to summon off of the zombies that those two models summon. The damage from Kirai's summoning kills the zombies and they drop corpse markers. Kirai can use Maniacal Laugh to turn the markers back into zombies to summon from again. I think he also took Spare Parts to be able to bring out a Rogue Necromancy from all of the corpse markers that he generated. 

• Like 1

You can play her with what you have, but you will be restricted on her summons to onryo from what you have. Clement gives a really good list and order for you to look at extra things, and the shikome are pretty good with mcmorning as well. 

• Like 1

Generally I agree with Clement's advices, except that I would put Philip and the Nanny in "Sooner" category. I am also a bit skeptical about usefulness of Datsue Ba herself, albeit three Seishin that come in her box can be handy. As a McMourning player you can definitely go Flesh Construct route, at least for now. Personally, I use Asura and Maniacal Laugh to generate walking Wounds for my summoning. I don't recommend Carrion Emissary, as it's neither Living nor Undead.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

Generally I agree with Clement's advices, except that I would put Philip and the Nanny in "Sooner" category. I am also a bit skeptical about usefulness of Datsue Ba herself, albeit three Seishin that come in her box can be handy. As a McMourning player you can definitely go Flesh Construct route, at least for now. Personally, I use Asura and Maniacal Laugh to generate walking Wounds for my summoning. I don't recommend Carrion Emissary, as it's neither Living nor Undead.

I'd likely agree with at least the Phillip part.  I like Datsue Ba's Seishin summoning and spirit pushing to help set up spirit swirling.  She can work as a hitter, but it will take some doing to get great damage out of her, so she's mostly running around my back field setting stuff up. 

Interestingly, I think I've had my best games with her when she's teamed up with Phillip.  She has an easy time getting scheme markers down with Spirit Whispers and can throw Phillip really far up the board if it's called for.  Consider my post edited.

• Like 1

If Philip and the nanny was a lone box I'd put it in sooner, but since you need to buy Mollie, it gets pushed back in the order for me. I find datsu ba is good on his own, and helps push Philip on with the free scheme markers he can make the crew generate . 

• Like 1

Cool thanks for the reply’s all , have a good idea of the way to go now. 

I wa was hoping I would get away with not getting Philip and the nanny as that would be a third master box tha I’m not actively collecting a crew for (yet) 

so so yes I guess I will have to avoid it fir a while then invest at a later stage. 

At least I should have a good pool is spirits  to play molly with should I ever choose to play her further down the line though