Demo table for 2-player starter

Omenbringer

The hedgerows are very easy and most importantly cheap. I got this from one of the old Citadel How to Make Terrain books.

Go to your local DIY store (though a grocery store will work as well). Buy a big bag of scotch brite heavy scouring pads like these:

51EYqX6w06L._SY355_.jpg

You might get more for your buck at the DIY stores, particularly if you buy generic. The ones I used were not scotch brite but I have enough material to build a full on 3' by 3' hedge maze table if I so desire.

Cut them double the height you want. Fold in half and use hot glue to stick the halves together (you can try other glues but in my experience, Hot Glue works the best with the least amount of mess). Once the glue has set run an Exacto knife across the top edge to get it to separate and flatten out (you are not trying to completely cut through, only score). After this grab some clippers and snip some irregularities in the edges to add interest. Spray black and then dry brush various green shades until you are happy with the result. To give them some strength when you attach them to the base material (in my case the board itself), use some toothpicks or bamboo skewers fixed into the base material and then push them through the middle of the hedges. If you want to make them "flower" you can dot some white, yellow, purple, or red paint irregularly to produce the effect.

Hope that helps.

Also if interested I can take some pictures with the 2 player starter crews to show some scale.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Walls are foam core with textured wall paper and doll house wall paper. I added some decorative details as well to make them more interesting. These were either balsa wood or polystyrene (guessing here) crown molding strips I got from the arts and crafts store or DIY big box stores.

The roof is a base of foam core and a cover of textured sheet styrene.

The floors are also sheet styrene. The carpet is actual fabric and was the most expensive individual piece. See note below for where to find one.

The rubble is just various sizes of model train ballast, bricks, and sand with a few scraps of the molding thrown in.

You can locate a lot of these materials at a Doll House specialty store if you happen to have one nearby.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 1:27 PM, Omenbringer said:

Once the glue has set run an Exacto knife across the top edge to get it to separate and flatten out (you are not trying to completely cut through, only score).

I made some similar hedges awhile back and did not score the top. I just tried another one and scored the top with a box knife and it made them look much more natural and less like a painted scouring pad glued to a base. 

Thanks for the tip.