Henchmen Hardcore Advice.

INXVI

Hey, so I'm entering into a Henchmen Hardcore tournament on the 24th, and I'd like some advice on a list. 

Here's what I own:

Dark Debts Crew

Mother Of Monsters Crew

No Shelter Here Crew

Teddy

Doppelganger 

Beckoners

Iggy

Tuco

Shamans 

(I recently bought a bundle, so the collections is quite random.) 

So I'm wondering what Henchman I should consider taking? I'm not 100% on the scheme & strategy, and I believe the model count is 4 with a 20ss pool. Any advice? 

Typically Henchman Hardcore is close deployment, Turf war with assasinate as the only scheme

You have 3 henchmen that I can see, Barbaros, Hungering Darkness and Candy. All can do quite well, but will play differently. 

With Hungering darkness you may want to look at Illuminated and Beckoners and work on a brilliance theme

Candy will want to play with activation order, so possibly doppleganger, iggy and something for the doppleganger to copy. Her sweets and sours are much more powerful in Henchmen hardcore than in normal games because they only have 4 activations. 

Barbaros will take the bulk of the attacks from the enemy. So you might want to look at wp based crew, to benefit from his challeneg aura, or just a mix of big hitters with cheap support models, because they are less vulnerable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Adran summed it up nicely. The upgrade that lets you prevent more effectively is also really good if your henchman has a decent cache.

Aether connection.

From my perspective, Huggy + Illuminated + Beckoner + Depleted + Addict is a fun and deadly crew.  Huggy is Incorporeal, which is nice.  And Illuminated take a punch and do damage while the Beckoner does a nice Lure, which is very useful in a 4 model setup.

Barbaros makes a good tanky leader.  I had a lot of fun with Barbaros + The Tooth + Rougarou + Changeling as a super deadly lure/pounce combo.  Barbaros' challenge keeps the Changeling and Rougarou alive, and Tooth is very survivable.  Again, you're looking at a lot of luring, pushing and murdering.

Candy + Iggy + Doppleganger + anything with a good attack + possibly Fears Given Form is really really rude.  Lots of denial and control and sad making.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input :) Barbaros seems like a great choice, as the amount of pushes he gives out, would help me out with Turf War. I'm not sure what I'll run yet, so if I were to run Barbaros, which models that I currently own, should I take to accompany him?

Thanks everyone :)

2 hours ago, Lucky_Dice_6 said:

I always want to try 

Nekima
Mature Nephilim
    A Thousand Faces
The Depleted
The Depleted

But i have never played it and i don't know how strong it is.

I did Nekima w/1kfaces, 2 Young and a BBS to good affect. Having only 2 models be a threat is a bit of a risk, but it will definitely kill things dead, and you can use the depleted to try and block charge lanes.

4 hours ago, Lucky_Dice_6 said:

I always want to try 

Nekima
Mature Nephilim
    A Thousand Faces
The Depleted
The Depleted

But i have never played it and i don't know how strong it is.

I can imagine Nekima and the mature being difficult to beat in a HH game, and depleted could hopefully sit back and the beaters draw attention. 

If possible, I could borrow the models and try it out, I'm curious now to see how it works :)

15 hours ago, Incuvi said:

Thanks for the input :) Barbaros seems like a great choice, as the amount of pushes he gives out, would help me out with Turf War. I'm not sure what I'll run yet, so if I were to run Barbaros, which models that I currently own, should I take to accompany him?

Looking at what you have I would consider Barbaros, Teddy, Kade, and then work out what upgrades you like, and buy the 4th model to fit what you have left.  No idea if it would work, but you have 2 powerful but fragile beaters in the form of Teddy and Kade, and someone who can help protect them in Barbaros, as well as a decent amount of enemy movement between pushes on attacks and Lure. 

@Adran Thanks for the input :) I've been thinking about fielding Candy, Iggy and the Doppel (Unsure about the last choice.) 

That way, I could put out a lot of burning, also with Candy, the chance to cause damage (FGF and Sours) could be an option, whilst Self Harm will take advantage of all the beaters people are planning on fielding. I'll have to see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Ergonomic Cat said:

Widow Weaver is always fun for channeling people to various places and then paralyzing them.

I think I'm getting a Widow Weaver soon, so I might try it out :) the tournament isn't for a while, and I'm happy getting the pot noodle for last :D I'll try using a Candy list, whilst adapting it if need be. 

To clarify: The Widow Weaver doesn't have anything in the actual pushing and pulling department.  What she does have is Web markers as a 0 action, which create a zone of -1 WP.  So while she can't literally force people to areas, she can generally drop a Web marker and create a zone that people will refuse to enter.  

Or alternatively, she can put Web markers in an area people *have* to go to, and benefit the whole crew with the -1 wp (Per Web marker).

Always take doppel. Always. Kade is also fantastic, as if you can kill something big with him you're in a really strong position and he has a lure. Also, take candy. All. The. Time. She is very good in this format. When you've killed two of their models, (or you have iggy) you can completely deny them a whole activation. Baby Kade's lure also works a treat with her 3" melee range. i would recommend Candy, kade with thousand faces, Doppleganger and iggy or the effigy and rets eye on the doppleganger.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2017 at 1:47 PM, catbat07 said:

Always take doppel. Always. Kade is also fantastic, as if you can kill something big with him you're in a really strong position and he has a lure. Also, take candy. All. The. Time. She is very good in this format. When you've killed two of their models, (or you have iggy) you can completely deny them a whole activation. Baby Kade's lure also works a treat with her 3" melee range. i would recommend Candy, kade with thousand faces, Doppleganger and iggy or the effigy and rets eye on the doppleganger.

So I had a quick practice game against my dad and a mate who is also entering the tournament. I used

Barbaros 

2x Stitched Together 

Doppelganger 

Surprisingly, I beat his Bert, Trixie, Lenny list, as I usually cheated down high marks, my hands were really lucky, which let me keep Trixie out of Lenny's aura before dropping 4 damage on her from the stitched. Doppel killed herself after I black jokered the 'Gamble your life' but I enjoyed it. 

I feel Candy is great for this scenario too, but I'll probably try her next time, after my Iggy is painted :) 

Thanks everyone, the tournament is this Saturday and I'm looking forward to it. 

I had a quick game of henchman hardcore after a game because there wasn't time for a full game. I remembered this advice on Candy, Iggy, Kade and Doppleganger.

Geez that's a powerful combo. Henchman hardcore naturally puts everyone in the middle very quickly. Candys Sweets and Sours are almost always going to hit someone. Iggy will always be in range for Martyr to siphon wounds to keep them alive, and Incite can be super devastating since you can practically ensure you Paralyze their most dangerous model. The Doppleganger has some nice options to mimic - Kades Lure is nice, his Carving Knife is a great attack with its built in +2 (which is nearly guaranteed to happen). If you're feeling like setting things on Fire she can copy Ignition for some ranged Burning.

I took Depression on Kade for the extra damage but I don't think it's needed at all. I think Fears Given Form might be detrimental since 3" is a big bubble when you're all fighting in the middle. I'll likely give him Retributions Eye next time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -Loki- said:

I had a quick game of henchman hardcore after a game because there wasn't time for a full game. I remembered this advice on Candy, Iggy, Kade and Doppleganger.

Geez that's a powerful combo. Henchman hardcore naturally puts everyone in the middle very quickly. Candys Sweets and Sours are almost always going to hit someone. Iggy will always be in range for Martyr to siphon wounds to keep them alive, and Incite can be super devastating since you can practically ensure you Paralyze their most dangerous model. The Doppleganger has some nice options to mimic - Kades Lure is nice, his Carving Knife is a great attack with its built in +2 (which is nearly guaranteed to happen). If you're feeling like setting things on Fire she can copy Ignition for some ranged Burning.

I took Depression on Kade for the extra damage but I don't think it's needed at all. I think Fears Given Form might be detrimental since 3" is a big bubble when you're all fighting in the middle. I'll likely give him Retributions Eye next time.

Thanks for the input :D 

I wish I had taken this approach, as stampeding Barbaros didn't end well. Stitched were on and off great models, I just had a tendency to flip weak damage for enemies, and severe when hurting myself :) 

But the bright side is, my dad won, the prize was a translucent Lynch crew, hopefully I'll be able to have a game with it sometime, as Lynch is my favourite master at this moment.

But I'll definately run Candy next time, paralysing any enemy would be massive in Henchmen Hardcore.