new player with questions

dannydb

So can I take the emissary of fate with mei feng's upgrade if I declare arcanists as my fraction?

All of the Emissary models have the 'Emissary of Fate' attribute.  Which Emissary do you mean?

If you declare Archanists and take Mei Feng as your leader, you can hire the Arcane Emissary (the mechanical bull) because that's the Arcanist Emissary.  Mei Feng's Conflux is dual faction, so you can give the Emissary her special Conflux of Combat upgrade, or the non-master specific Arcane Conflux upgrade.

There are Ten Thunders and Gremlins Foundry (and Arcanist and Ten Thunders) models that Mei Feng can hire regardless of declared faction due to her Infiltration(Foundry).  That's how Mei Feng includes Kang in an Arcanist crew.  But the Shadow Emissary (the oriental dragon) isn't covered by that.  

56 minutes ago, dannydb said:

man i really should read all the things some times! thats fine one less model to buy, assemble and paint as I'm buying bully mc bullface anyway

Frankly, that Shadow Emissary is a beautiful enough model that it makes me WANT to go Ten Thunders.

It has nothing to do with wanting to throw an Eastern Dragon at my Shadowrun players, I assure you...

it does look like an awesome model and i wish my skills were up to doing it justice but its not the case!

though it is on the buy list for the guy who's looking to do ten thunders if he decides to carry on after the thrashing I gave him last week

• 2 weeks later...

so another few weeks go by- finally paint up all my models (I won't subject the internet to my terrible painting skills by showing pictures!) however did get 2 games in vs the dreamer the other day- 

first game was I played ironsides and essentially got a massive moshpit going, so while I manage to get up to adrenalin stupid and then go to town beating down on alps and daydreams, however she couldn't attack the thing doing all the damage,  the widow weaver due to it being terrifying and my willpower being though the floor. however did pull off a nice trick of doing some more beatdown on the alps, then using ironsides zero to go and hide behind an already activated lord chompy bits turn 5 

game 2 was a lot more competitive after i switched up to karies, though did make a terrible error of first turn i basically turned all the fire on rail golem to put its burning through the roof (was up to burning 15!) then thought I'd fire some oxford mages at him as well for some and decided to red joker the damage on my triple neg flip (rules question do i have to take red joker? my opponent said i did but I wasn't sure) which left rail golem in teddy killing range 

Speaking of oxford mages, how do you keep them safe, I mean there short range meant that i spent most of the time with them just behind my main line but my opponent tied them up every single game- though he did outnumber me and I really wished i had my raptors to help make up numbers (or maybe i should have just taken a couple of fire gamin over something else)

3 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Your opponent was wrong. Check pages 12-13 of the small rulebook. Red Joker may be chosen. Black Joker must be chosen.

drat i mean still ended up just "winning" (we are sill playing just kill each other atm, the group is going to pick up some strats and screams cards next week) but having the Rail golem venting steam over everyones faces at the end would have been great!

14 hours ago, dannydb said:

drat i mean still ended up just "winning" (we are sill playing just kill each other atm, the group is going to pick up some strats and screams cards next week) but having the Rail golem venting steam over everyones faces at the end would have been great!

Strongly suggest you go to using the strats and schemes (Either from the rule book or any one of the gaining grounds) because playing to score VPs is hugely different over playing to kill everything, and you'll be learning  bad habits by not trying to score. So one of the things that will help keep Oxfordian mages alive is the fact that normally your opponent has to be tryign to do other things rather than just tieing them up and killing them. They aren't designed to take a crew on they are designed to provide support to a crew and interference to the enemy crew. 

Even just playing a simple game of Turf war with Assasinate, Bodyguard, Murder protogee, vendetta and Line in the sand would be a fairly hiting game, but what you kill and when you kill them will make some important differences to how you play, and if you played Reckoning rather than turf war you would probably make quiet different lists even though the game would still be largely around killign and not beign killed

• Like 2

yes i know it just without the card we didn't want to have to keep flicking around the rulebooks as we are still learning the rules most of us!

but yep from next meeting we should have the cards to do them!

i've also been given a camera so expect some pics after my next gaming session, might even eventually start some battle reports!

If you guys have smartphones, check out the CrewFaux app. I believe it's out for iOS, Android and Windows but don't quote me on that last one. It has a crew builder and encounter generation that lets you check out all strategies and schemes from both the rulebook and Gaining Grounds 2016 and GG 2017.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

If you guys have smartphones, check out the CrewFaux app. I believe it's out for iOS, Android and Windows but don't quote me on that last one. It has a crew builder and encounter generation that lets you check out all strategies and schemes from both the rulebook and Gaining Grounds 2016 and GG 2017.

I will have too look in to this, I'm picking up a smart phone for my birthday after finally getting fed up with my "drug dealer" phone so that definitely something I'll be getting!

So sorry to double post! so thinking about the strategies and schemes are there things I should be looking out for? are there certain combinations that are almost impossible to score from, are there combinations that are almost "auto picks" as they  easy to score from? are there certain strategies/Schemes that thing "right Im playing X strategy so i need Y model and 2 Z models? I mean I'd imagine for turf war where everything is bunched up there is need for models who dish it out up close as personal and/or aura/blast effects to take advantage of the fact everyone is bunched up, where as say reconnoiter which seems to want everyone spread out its prob best to look for models that can function without being in the range of 3-4 other models   

It depends what schemes you use. I wouldn't say any are auto pick, but some are easier for some crews than others, and some are almost impossible depending on what the opponent or you pick. Assuming you are using Book schemes, models like Bad Juju and Leveticus can make scoring Assassinate/murder protegee much harder. If you're used to playing a kill everything game, then you will probably find for the first few games that a cheap model that ignores the killing in the middle and just drops scheme markers can score you 6 points on its own. 

A lot of Aracnists use Malifaux raptors and practised productions upgrade to do scheming in the enemies half. Neverborn will use silurids/Gupps/tots to leap and do similar. 

You would want to build a different crew for turf war (as you say containing several models that can hold an area, and hopefully force out the enemy) than you would for Reconnoter (Where you want several cheap models because its numbers that matter, and you don't expect your models all together) or Reckoning (commonly you build a small force to try and prevent the enemy killing two of your models a turn. But you hope its killy enough that you can kill 2 models a turn. Possibly even to leaving an enemy model to live on low wounds 1 turn when you aren't going to get 2 kills, so you can kill it early in the next turn and hopefully get a second kill that turn). Squatters rights wants me to have models that can hold an area, but also models with don't mind me can be amazing for stealing enemy squat markers. Claim jump needs you to have models in the enemy half doing (2) interact actions, so I often try and use models with Leap (although not that many of them leap far enough) or otehr movement tricks, for example I know some gremlin players who will throw models with their pigapult so they are in position next turn to drop those claim markers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adran said:

It depends what schemes you use. I wouldn't say any are auto pick, but some are easier for some crews than others, and some are almost impossible depending on what the opponent or you pick. Assuming you are using Book schemes, models like Bad Juju and Leveticus can make scoring Assassinate/murder protegee much harder. If you're used to playing a kill everything game, then you will probably find for the first few games that a cheap model that ignores the killing in the middle and just drops scheme markers can score you 6 points on its own. 

A lot of Aracnists use Malifaux raptors and practised productions upgrade to do scheming in the enemies half. Neverborn will use silurids/Gupps/tots to leap and do similar. 

You would want to build a different crew for turf war (as you say containing several models that can hold an area, and hopefully force out the enemy) than you would for Reconnoter (Where you want several cheap models because its numbers that matter, and you don't expect your models all together) or Reckoning (commonly you build a small force to try and prevent the enemy killing two of your models a turn. But you hope its killy enough that you can kill 2 models a turn. Possibly even to leaving an enemy model to live on low wounds 1 turn when you aren't going to get 2 kills, so you can kill it early in the next turn and hopefully get a second kill that turn). Squatters rights wants me to have models that can hold an area, but also models with don't mind me can be amazing for stealing enemy squat markers. Claim jump needs you to have models in the enemy half doing (2) interact actions, so I often try and use models with Leap (although not that many of them leap far enough) or otehr movement tricks, for example I know some gremlin players who will throw models with their pigapult so they are in position next turn to drop those claim markers

so picking arcanists as a fraction to concentrate on was a good idea! guess that means i'm going to have to get used to playing with carlos vasquez then (as not picking up a collet box!) thats fine as he was included for most of my "dummy" lists for kaeris then!