What should i use to transport miniatures?

TeddyBear

In our local community the often used decision is to use plastic boxes for storage of sewing accessories/medicine. Ferrite sheet magnetic material is glued to the bottom of each box section from inside. Each miniature base is equiped with neodymium magnet.880356.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ArD said:

In our local community the often used decision is to use plastic boxes for storage of sewing accessories/medicine. Ferrite sheet magnetic material is glued to the bottom of each box section from inside. Each miniature base is equiped with neodymium magnet.880356.jpg

Congr. very nice work!!

for me it would be a dream.. i have no idea how do such a thing..

going the route that was shown in the previous picture drives me nuts. reminds me of heroclixers just throwing everything into a random box without some sort of organized system. so i prefer the battlefoam malifaux cases. but i wish they had more than just one color of case.

besides, having a battlefoam case does help protect you against the random flying die from 40k players as it is made of kevlar lol.

2 hours ago, HydroMog said:

going the route that was shown in the previous picture drives me nuts. reminds me of heroclixers just throwing everything into a random box without some sort of organized system. so i prefer the battlefoam malifaux cases. but i wish they had more than just one color of case.

besides, having a battlefoam case does help protect you against the random flying die from 40k players as it is made of kevlar lol.

Can't disagree more, plastic boxes with magnetic sheets and magnet are to me infinitely more organised than foam. Sure, you can have one crew/faction per foam sheet, but you'll quickly need more than one, and then it's so much harder to keep track. With clear plastic you can see which minis are where from the outside, and magnets are a lot safer in the paintings than even the softest foam. Not to mention magnets can accommodate literally every shape of miniature just as well.

If a load of boxes seem messy, you can always go the toolbox route, but then it's harder to find a clear box. On the other hand, a steel box will let you get away without having to buy magnetic sheets, and magnets in the bases will be sufficient...

i see your point. but after years of 40k, i see a miniatures case as both a limit on how much to spend and how much space it takes up. if at any point my case gets full then i either have to sell some stuff or stop buying stuff.

plus gaming space factors in when you have to share space with other war gamers that like to take up space in a 12'x40' room with only 2' on either side of the tables to walk down. so i like to make sure when my case is kicked stuff doesnt go flying.

21 minutes ago, HydroMog said:

i see your point. but after years of 40k, i see a miniatures case as both a limit on how much to spend and how much space it takes up. if at any point my case gets full then i either have to sell some stuff or stop buying stuff.

plus gaming space factors in when you have to share space with other war gamers that like to take up space in a 12'x40' room with only 2' on either side of the tables to walk down. so i like to make sure when my case is kicked stuff doesnt go flying.

It won't go flying, it'll stay put due to the magnets. That's the beauty of it; you can literally hold the box upside down without anything moving.

Clear plastic boxes should be stackable, (steel) toolbox come in all shapes, so should need to take any more space. Also, though you can play Malifaux with relatively few models it doesn't mean itself very well to a sell off before buying new approach, as different models will fit different situations.

Not saying a foam case is wrong or anything, just saying the argument that models will be flying in magnetized boxes is wrong. Also, magnets lets you taylor something specific to your needs (literally any box can easily be magnetized), so is both more flexible, can be more space efficient, safer for the minis and better suited to big and hard to fit models. The downside is the (easy but still a little time consuming) extra work needed to fit models and cases with magnets/magnetic sheets...

I like the magnetic solution but for me it is important to have a case that can store more than just the Miniatures and has a higher level of organization. As I usually carry around some terrain in boxes I also don't have my hands free for another box so I need a backpack or some other kind of bag with a strap. 

Coming from a 40k background and being German the first thing that I tried out was Feldherr. I own a backpack and several bags and they are alright. I use half sized trays for all my Warmachine models (40k sits in a big cardboard box in full sized trays and hasn't been moved for years ;)). The thing I didn't like about Feldherr was the stability of the cases. They are quite soft and their foam is not the best. So I tried another solution and moved to KR Multicase. They have great foam that fits more models and is softer and the big thing is that they use cardboard boxes around the foam that fit inside their bags. I really love their cases with all the additional small bags, the added stability and everything else. A double sized bag with a shoulder strap (Kaiser range they call it) that holds 2 standard units fits my whole collection of Rezzers and 10T (and I mean the whole range of the factions) , together with markers, several decks and all the books. I have to admit that I used a lot of spots in the foam for more than one miniature but I seldom have problems with breaking as soon as I have found a good spot. I am so happy with the cases that I ordered a backpack two days ago.  

• Like 2

I use the exact same clear boxes as shown above for storage, but instead of metal sheets I use thin strips of metal (found a roll of metal strpe in my closet), that way saves a lot of weight.

Smaller sections of the boxes are used to store supplies like decks, rulers and tape measure, as well as even smaller tackleboxes for counters and somesuch.

I would very much love to use A-Case Victory (which is like the god of magnetic storage cases), but the $150 price tag is kinda steep for me at the moment.

• Like 1

Ooh, I've never seen A-Case. If they made a taller one I'd be all over it. I've created my own version with and old foam case, the rails from a TableWar case, Some MDF and magnets (sounds harder than it was). I've always used magnets, but I prefer to put my magnets on the board section and add steel discs to the underside of the models base. This way the models are not attracted to each other if they tip over at all.

I'll take some pics tonight if I can.

I used to swear by KR Multicase products, and I still mostly do...except that a few models (jorogumo, emissaries) are so huge they just don't fit. Obviously, my first desire would be for alt versions of those that aren't so annoying in the future, but in the meantime I'm going to be moving to some magnetization system soon.

9 hours ago, tomjoad said:

I used to swear by KR Multicase products, and I still mostly do...except that a few models (jorogumo, emissaries) are so huge they just don't fit. Obviously, my first desire would be for alt versions of those that aren't so annoying in the future, but in the meantime I'm going to be moving to some magnetization system soon.

I got both of those models into my case. It's not beautiful but it works. If I remember it I'll take  picture later. 

• 2 years later...
  • Durza locked this topic