An odd question.....

BrotherItchy

I know very little about the game of Malifaux itself, having never played it. The aesthetic of the game is absolutely amazing though.

I'm very much a novice hobbyist/painter but I think I'd like to try my hand at some Malifaux models. Which 4-5 models could be considered "easier" in terms of building and painting and so could be good for a beginner hobbyist. Faction isn't so much a concern yet.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Honestly, I don't find the starter models all that simple for as boring as they turn out.  Still a lot of 2 piece heads and the like.

If you want to paint, I'd pick the models first, then look up the instructions to see if its a little daunting to build.  This is also a good resource to get an idea of what's required.

http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.co.uk/p/unboxing-malifaux.html

There is a small disconnect: I've found the models that are harder to put together (with many tiny detailed parts) are mostly easier for me to paint (since tiny detailed parts are almost paint-by-number easy compared to guessing where the highlights go on a flat surface). And assembly only happens once and is for me a lot less time than painting.

I would avoid anything with spider legs to start with. They are all vaious degrees of annoying. People sigh about gremlin feet but I have had no first hand experience. I play Guild, and so had an easy time assembling sanctioned spellcasters (they are really well designed sprues) and Master Queeg and Ryle and a Pistolero; struggled a little with wastrels (one was poorly designed, the others very well done) and guild lawyer and guard; looked at the peacekeeper sprue and handed that off to a more experienced hobbyist. :P And that is in a year of learning how to do the hobby work of gaming.

Big Jake and Gracie were easy. Both are mercs too so anyone can use them. I don't think either is bad as a merc but Gracie is easier to substitute with in-faction models. Can't go wrong with Big Jake though. Misaki box, Thunder Archers and Samurai were awful. Lots of stuff in the middle.

I support the idea that you look at models you like the look of and then google to see if they have horrible sprues or reputation for being awful to assemble. Then again I started Malifaux/miniatures building with Samurai. Awful, awful, awful to put together. But I managed. And afterwards everything felt less bad.

31 minutes ago, Bengt said:

Witchling Stalkers are one piece models. :P 

Very nice one piece models at that.  The only issue is the details warp along the edge since there's no undercut, but most angles its not at all noticeable.  

Sonnia's box as a whole is pretty good, though I never found where that strap is supposed to go on Samael.  

it seems that previous posters have leaned towards guild models for the most part, as they are pretty easy to assemble (which is true aside from mc morning). So being that i like to be different most of the time im going to have to suggest neverborn models. the dreamer/pandora box comes to mind, as does the collodi box.

Guild isn't too difficult from my understanding, but a lot of the models are relatively straight forward in regards to how to paint them.

I would recommend a slightly bigger model if you're worried about painting.  They'll (generally) have more pieces to put together, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be difficult to put together.  Having the model be larger means it should (theoretically) be easier to practice painting on.

In that regard, I suggest Lord Chompy Bits (from the Dreamer's crew box).  The other models in his crew are smaller, but none of them should be difficult on the painting level.

The Whiskey Golem, while more expensive for a single model, is also a fairly easy build for a large model.  It has a lot of surface area for painting, and because of the barrel design, it's good for practicing things like washes and dry brushes.  I'd quote a similar reason for trying out Izamu, as well.

If you want a little bit more of a painting challenge once you get going, the Horsemen are all pretty good for that.  Larger models, but a lot of good detail for practicing painting on.

• Like 1

@Four_N_Six I find big models harder to paint because you need a lot better control over your paint flow and coverage. Details and fur lend themselves very well to the quick and dirty method of: base colour, drybrush and wash that yields very good results in the beginning.

One of the neverborn crews with an added teddy would proably be a good start. I put a teddy together the other day and it was ridiculously easy. Fur is also a nice texture fot beginners.

• Like 1