Pushing rules and pushing vectors

Seadhna

Question

I would like an official ruling on pushes.

I think it may be universally accepted that pushes that are worded as push toward/push away are direct in that they happen along the line between the center of the two bases.

However, what happens when the wording is push into base contact?

1. @solkanand other good folk on the forums have presented a solid argument which is based on consistency in that (following from the vague wording in the book) all relational pushes (i.e. when direction is specified in relation to a different base) are done directly away or towards, push into base contact with being a case of a relational push. 

2. However, and that's me trying to interpret the rules, a case can be made for push into base contact to be along any straight line that results in the two bases physically touching, not just along the line that connects the centers of bases  

My point is, the first interpretation renders most push into base contact effects unusable around impassable terrain, i.e. most cases of a model being in hard cover. Moreover, a 50 mm model won't be able to push into base contact with a 30mm model if they are both touching the same wall, which is pretty ridiculous from a gameplay perspective. 

So I'd say that RAW there's no counter-argument to @solkan

RAI I just don't see argument 1. working with any proper pushing ability

Would like to see further discussn on the topic!

6 answers to this question

I'm posting in this thread as a representative of the tyrannical "The rules say so" faction.  :ram:tome  Given that I was playing a board game this weekend where the other players and I discovered that we'd been playing the game wrong for about two years, and memorable instances where I've had to correct a Press Ganger, the argument that you're going to have to explain to others that they've been playing wrong and that their strategies are going to change gets you some sympathy but doesn't change the facts.

For the record, the thread and post where my point was made:

• Like 1

So, the question is the everybody, universally, agrees that the rules works in one way (the @solkan solution, if you will), but you are hoping that somebody can come up with a workable counter argument for that, because you just would like it to be a different way? Sometimes pushes get stopped by terrain. That's the game, and it is not a bug or a feature, it just is.

Just now, tomjoad said:

So, the question is the everybody, universally, agrees that the rules works in one way (the @solkan solution, if you will), but you are hoping that somebody can come up with a workable counter argument for that, because you just would like it to be a different way? Sometimes pushes get stopped by terrain. That's the game, and it is not a bug or a feature, it just is.

Granted, I'm very new to the game, but in the several dozen matches  I've had and about as many I've watched not a single person ever ruled into base contact in "the @solkan way". Therefore I'm asking for counter-arguments and actual play experience (and hopefully a ruling from someone like @Aaron), because I might be needing to correct the whole local community. Or maybe not, but there's nothing of substance in the rulebook. So please share the way you've played the pushes!

Yeah, into base contact is defined in relation to the base of the other model and there is only one shortest route that would satisfy that. If the model is supposed to go around terrain the wording "move into base contact by the shortest route or move so it ends in base contact" is used. That is the reason we have both those different wordings. Pushes were intended to be blockable.