Post errata Sonnia

Franchute

Hello,

The underpowered topic is getting so big and messy that I thought I'd simply follow @4thstringer's strategy who opened a topic on the guardian and focus on another mentionned aspect which I'm highly interested in, i.e. how to build post-errata Sonnia lists.

Given that papabox is not possible anymore, some proposed alternatives. @Myyrä suggested the use of abuela to keep papa out of the boom range and then obey him to move back in for the buff. @trikk said good things about envy giving Sonnia the focus condition. @JDAntoine mentionned the roles of numb to the world and witchling thralls. And then others simply complained. I'm sure I'm forgetting other ideas but that's why I'm opening this thread.

I am a big fan of Sonnia. She was my first master. I think she is still powerful and I would like to still play with her under GG2017. So I'm hoping to see some structured discussion here without the need of complaining. Future is good. But we need to know how to embrace it.

So, I'm asking: how should we adapt her lists to the new schemes? Which schemes should we avoid? Etc...

• Like 3

Don`t:

Hidden Trap, Recover Evidence, Accusations, Covert Breakthrough (might try in Close/Flank), Tail`em, Inspection

Do:

Eliminate their Leadership, A Quick Murder, Claim Jump, Show of Force, Hunting Party, Last Stand, Set Up, Search The Ruins

Maybes:

FFM, Undercover Entourage, Dig Your Grave, LYM, Mark for Death

I`m playing enforcer heavy right now with Phiona, Abuela, Loco and Francisco, so Show of Force and Hunting Partty are very doable. A Quick Murder also as you have 2 henchmen with min damage 3, Abuela with very probably 8 a turn if you take Rapid Fire and Loco. If I`d have Envy I`d risk Last Stand. Set Up is ok but I would probably bring in an Austringer, same as Search The Ruins.

• Like 2

This is the new variant for me:

Sonnia Criid
- Cherufe's Imprint
- Counterspell Aura
Malifaux Child
Francisco
- Wade In
- Hermanos De Armas
Papa Loco
- Numb to the World
Abuela Ortega
Guild Austringer
Guild Austringer
Watcher
Brutal Effigy
3 SS

Boring I guess, but has the members and the Family and the Walls. 

• Like 1

On the maybe FFM front:

When I pick Frame for Murder, I put it on something that's going to make itself the kind of nuisance that takes the personal attention of a master or henchman to take it down. I know other people who do this as well, including some Guild players in my local/extended meta who like to put it on Francisco. That makes us predictable to each other because we have the same though (distraction Emissary?).

The other way I've seen people go is with a model that deploys or darts forward that's not necessarily high threat by itself. I usually see newer players doing this to other relatively new players because it presents an early target of opportunity.

With Sonnia I would say do your best to ensure that anything that looks like it's on a suicide run dies to burning or to some peon or minion. If your opponent spends an AP putting the target out so that it can try to die in combat, you're getting a slight AP edge while they try to get it to live long enough to die another way. If you cannot get it to burn to death, try to have a minion or enforcer get the kill in Turn 4 (earlier is fine, it limits them to 2VP if you do it early), or even use a DM to box it on the charge and keep it off the table for the turn. It has to be Killed or Sacrificed to score.

On the Papa Loco front:

He's a liability, especially with his low Df, but Abuela does a lot of control stuff from her wheelchair. I was surprised at how much she was moving around and moving things around in the last game I played against Guild.

Except Sonnia I don't blast. Abuela with Debt or Rapid Fire does crazy damage with Slug and Sh7. Also the issues I had is you move Francisco and then usually Sonnia moves in range. Sometimes she ends up more than 2" from Frank. Abuela obeys him to move within 2 inches for El mayor. Other options are extra attack/enfrantante/look out/command stone/replace marker

I said I'd swap for 2 austringers. I would never take 2 austringers in Guild now

6 hours ago, JDAntoine said:

This is the new variant for me:

Sonnia Criid
- Cherufe's Imprint
- Counterspell Aura
Malifaux Child
Francisco
- Wade In
- Hermanos De Armas
Papa Loco
- Numb to the World
Abuela Ortega
Guild Austringer
Guild Austringer
Watcher
Brutal Effigy
3 SS

Boring I guess, but has the members and the Family and the Walls. 

This is more or less what I would play, but I would drop one or both of the Austringers for Guard Sergeants, Reporters or more Watchers. Nino is also an option if the table favors him, because there is quite a few family models with Abuela being able to add the characteristic to Sonnia or someone else.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Myyrä said:

I also just realized that Sergeants enjoy from that awful aura wording so prevalent in wave 2 that lets all of them always enjoy from +1Wk if you bring at least two. How did wave 2 playtesters suck so bad?

That was definitely intentional. Would have been a bug if they buffed themselves.

38 minutes ago, trikk said:

I think Myyra suggests that it should be Othet non-Guild Sergeant Guardsmen models. This way 2 Sergeants wouldn't have Wk 6 next to each other

They don't even need to be next to each other - mere presence on the battlefield is enough to provide the effect since the Sergeant provides the Aura.

4 minutes ago, trikk said:

I don't get it.

Other friendly Guardsmen that begin their activation within 3:aura of one or models with this Ability gain +1 Wk for the duration of the Activation

What am I missing

Sergeant A knows that Sergeant B is somewhere on the battlefield. So he checks B's card. "Other friendly Guardsmen" - hehey, that's me, Sergeant A! I'm an other friendly Guardsman to Sergeant B. "That begin their activation within  3:aura of one or models with this Ability" - hehey, that's me, Sergeant A, since I begin my activation within 3" of a model with this ability (that model being me).

• Like 3

Just now, trikk said:

Got it.

Makes sense in a way it doesn't make sense. Would never use it though.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Come on! It's convoluted and evil - just like Guild would want it! Besides, I doubt it will break anything - 12SS for two Sergeants isn't exactly cheap even if they get an extra inch of movement.

• Like 2