Carlos Vasquez

Jordon

I haven't heard much talk on this guy so I figured we could get thread going on him. He's really the only model in this new wave that's not really tied to Sandeep in any particular way so I feel like he's fallen under the radar. He definitely seems like an interesting model. He's right in that awkward spot of being not cheap but not expensive either. I do think unlike basically all of our other henchmen his upgrade is mandatory and I see no reason why you wouldn't take it. Obviously he feel's most at home with Kaeris, but his showgirl characteristic does intrigue me quite a bit. 

So with Kaeris, you'll probably want to factor him into how he will interact with either of her limited upgrades. However it seems like he's going to operate pretty good on his own. In fact you'll probably need to play him isolated from Kaeris when she has G&D equipped as it forces models that activate within her aura to dump their burning. Given that Carlos depends on his burning to survive, I think grab and drop may end up hurting him more than it benefits him. Purifying flame is much safer, however his upgrade already gives him the ability to heal his burning albeit without the need to burn a card. 

Given that he can sufficiently keep himself topped up on burning and that he doesn't really need anything higher than burning +3 (his armour tops out at +2 and his attack at +3). I don't actually think he'll really need to rely much on Kaeris outside of maybe a good turn of healing, or if he goes on the offensive, leaving himself with no burning. Now while I don't feel like Kaeris offers much to Carlos, I definitely feel like Carlos offers much for Kaeris.

First off his ability to move around fire markers (that can actually touch enemies now!) is pretty interesting in of itself as it can potentially mess up enemy placement, block LOS and burn the opponents hand. It's also another form of damage that is not derived from an attack and so gets around a lot of defences and incorporeal. However I think his real value comes from his upgrade, specifically his (1) pyrotechnic prop. This is a fantastic way to set a big chunk of your team on fire without the need to spend much AP (or one of Kaeris' (0) action). This goes especially well with another amazing ability he has access too. Since he carries the Showgirl characteristic, he also has access to the all powerful Practiced Production upgrade. This means that he can simply activate, drop a marker for free, catch everyone on fire with pyrotechnic prop and still have 1AP and his (0) to get him where he wants to go. This does mean that he'll cost 11ss with both of those upgrades, but I feel like it might be a worthwhile investment. This also makes him into an excellent schemer. 

I'm not quite sure what he offers to Colette as the showgirl characteristic doesn't really hold much weight with Colette. Prompt certainly makes him more efficient, but it does that to any model. If I'm going to hire a model as a prompt target, i'll probably hire someone a little more specialized. I do think the free upgrade does make him a bit more tempting and I can see myself running him from time to time, but I don't feel like he's bringing the same value as he would with Kaeris and that's totally fine. I chalk him up as more of a fluffy piece with Colette.

So what are other peoples thoughts on Carlos? Do you see yourself running him? Is there any other synergies you can think of? 

• Like 1

Carlos is a tank, with armour  and healing. 

He can probably get away with out his upgrade if you are playign Purifying Flame Kaeris and planning on keeping them togethr, but otherwise he wants it. 

He has a long Ml range, but he doesn't really do a huge amount of damage. 

He can either gain  a push for a zero, or drop a pyre for some board control. 

I've looked at him combined with Warding ruins and Oxfordian mages and it makes him very very hard to shift.  He was able to survive a Fast Francois LaCroix for 4 tunrs

Do you mean Pyre markers? If not, what is a Fire marker? In either case, how does it affect the opponents hand?

Sorry yes, I meant Pyre. It can attack the opponents hand in that you can place it in such a way to to affect multiple models, forcing multiple duels. If they succeed, you can just walk and try to do it again if they are still clumped up. It's certainly not going to be an every game tactic, but I can see it being effective against certain crews.

I'm curious if I'd consider Carlos more tanky than someone like Joss. Probably in some instances maybe. His 3" reach Df6, healing and armour +2 seems like it's exceptionally potent at resisting attacks. Obviously there is a timing issue in that if you catch him early or play him too offensively, you'll leave yourself vulnerable. Both are susceptible to armour ignoring attacks but at least Carlos has healing and Df6 to fall back on. You do need to be careful for condition removal though.