Who do you think is the most rare master?

Anung Un Rama

I'd expect the most rare Master to be Mah Tucket, in an already somewhat rare faction. It seems like all other Gremlin options are better, except maybe Brewie... I still love the guy :D
I've also found Lady J, Kaeris, Collodi (oddly) and Brewmaster to be very specific and more rare Masters. I've never seen Kirai in action (and from what I've been told this is very positive for me). I recently bought most of her box off a friend to try the Onryo with Yan Lo and use the Lost Soul and Ikiryo for conversions... :P

Mah's issue is just that she doesn't have an obvious gimmick in a faction of masters with extreme gimmicks.  Worse yet, she was released more or less on the same day as Mr. Glowy and the crazy hog guy and was the easy one to skip.  She's just not screaming for table time the way other Gremlin masters do and didn't have the luxury of establishing herself early like the other straightforward gremlin designs.

The only Master I've never seen played outside of wave four is Ramos, though I've seen plenty of Howard Langstons so he's lurking somewhere.

Also only seen Mah, Wong and Nicodem played in beginner games.

That doesn't sound very nice to the beginner. ;) Both Wong and Nico can be extremely soul-crushing to meet. 

I can see that Nicodem game right now: 

Player A: But... We're only playing 25ss, how can you have 50ss on the table turn 1?! 

Player B: Don't worry, summoning is balanced, focus on your schemes.

:D 

That doesn't sound very nice to the beginner. ;) Both Wong and Nico can be extremely soul-crushing to meet. 

I can see that Nicodem game right now: 

Player A: But... We're only playing 25ss, how can you have 50ss on the table turn 1?! 

Player B: Don't worry, summoning is balanced, focus on your schemes.

:D 

Summoning in a sub-50SS game. The Malifaux equivalent of "Just the Tip." :P

• Like 1

Sometimes even in 50SS games I feel strange when suddenly I play my 50SS vs almost 65-68SS turn1 and 80SS turn 2 (yes, I'm looking at you Ressers and you too, Dreamer...)

I played an intro game vs @RedHood yesterday. He was learning Ramos in a 35SS game. I believe he was able to summon 10 arachnids throughout the game, so by game's end that was 40SS extra worth of models. :D

• Like 2

1. Ramos is such a great box, solid master and thematic option the Arcanist leader really is.
  2. Colette really characterful box and build.  Awesome henchman in the box.  Really strong master.
  3. Rasputina is a great starting master, characterful and fun to play with the addition that Frozen Heart protects new players against some of the more 'gotcha' builds around.
  4. [Postulated] Sandeep, he seems very versatile and great fun, has a great couple of in theme (Academics, Poison, Gamin spam) builds.  
  5. [Suspected promotion above Marcus] Ironsides is increasing in popularity as folks get a feel for her play style, more tank than beater.  The Captain is a great model and the Oxfordian Mages just got two Book 4 boosts [the upgrade and Sandeep Academic spam].
  6. Marcus simply because people like the beastlord and (barring Sandeep filling this role as well) he is Arcanist's best in your face mayhem beater.  So many fun models (both a + and a -).
  7. Mei Feng falls here because her box is a little weak faction wise [Kang is TT only] and Rail Workers are not summonable.  Still very good master and fun to play but not as brutally satisfying as Marcus and she kinda falls into the... oh and Mei niche.
  8. Kaeris is the 'weakest' master of an exceptional Arcanist line up, I mean if Kaeris is the least master on my list, its a good list.  Burning schtick is a little unreliable [Rasputina is much more reliable as a nuclear threat and Mei is a better speedy damage dealer] and Kaeris herself is a scheme runner master/crew in a faction which has better options for that role [Colette].  She is durable but again I think Ironsides is slowly infiltrating that spot.  Her Fire Gamin are not the most sought after minion's [Sandeep may help this but only a little as there are 'better' Gamin] and Firestarter is nice but a secondary henchman you include when the pool calls for particular talents.

It's a rough list and folks will likely argue with it, particularly some exact placement, but I think its broadly representative.  Overall I'd say Arcanist's have an array of very solid master's and none of them really fall into a truly rare, you never see them position.  

wow I need to play in your meta :D

mei feng is my favourite master, winning me tourneys and other podium places.

kaeris is probably 2nd fav and is unlucky not to have won me a tourney.

then comes marcus who is a great beater and finally for me raspy.

ramos, colette and ironsides I occasionally use but for me the above 4 always come 1st and do better at most schemes/strats between them

Your best to just ask around your local meta because we all have different masters that get played. Many of the "lesser seen" master are common in my local meta (Mah Tucket, Lucius, Ironsides all see plenty of play around here). Though you probably are less likely to see those master in bigger events (though wave 4 may change that too).