Let us mourn...

Kaptain_Konrad

2 hours ago, chryspainthemum said:

Kind of annoyed with this business model. If you want to support your LGS, wait 6 months to play? 

Disclaimer:  I don't work for Wyrd, this is speculation on my part.  But the following fits how other companies reportedly done it...

1.  The new mold gets into production.  They end up producing a small batch of the models to make sure everything is good, and there's no sense in putting that in a warehouse until the whole run is ready.  The same thing probably goes for the boxes and cards.  So the initial test batch gets made a bit bigger.

2.  The initial run gets sold at the convention as a form of advance advertising.  If you're going to a convention or buying early, there's a decent chance you're going to be excited and end up showing off the models to other people.

3.  When the regular production wave comes through, there's still enough demand to buy the models.

If you can't buy the models at the convention, and you don't want to wait, there is still the option of "Convert/Build your own model", which is even tournament legal (subject to conversion approval) according to the Gaining Grounds documents.

I could be full of garbage on the initial test run/main production run bit, but I did hear a story very recently about a plastic production factory being more than happy to start a production run, ship off the first few boxes early, and then ship the rest of the production run when it finished.  And the "Have a few models at the convention to sell to die hard fans because they'll advertise your game for you" model is part of why go to conventions--advertise the game, sell the game, and get second hand advertising.

Disclaimer:  I grew up trying to play 40k, where a certain amount of the time the answer to "I want to field this unit" was "How am I going to build that from parts and greenstuff?"   And I think I still have my box of "human-model sized wings, in various textures and materials".  :mellow:

I can see them want to spread out the crewboxes to even out the cash flow, but it's still odd that Reva is scheduled for a July release, that is very close to a year from now. The expensive mould is after all already made...

That is if the tags actually mean anything are not just placeholders or something.

On 8/4/2016 at 9:53 PM, solkan said:

I don't know.  I mean the twitter message:

doesn't make a restock sound likely.

I was working the sales floor when this hit and i restocked this item the most. It sold itself the other rumor was the Arcanist box was in short supply but that was just a rumor not confirmed by the staff. Not sure why anyone wouldn't want this box set (i am partial to NB) but i was not shocked that they sold out.

It's somewhat surprising to me that Reva is scheduled so far away, but I'm not sure what the release schedule is. Why they started doing plastics they mentioned on a podcast or some other such service that part of the issue is time on the machines. At the time Wyrd didn't own the machines that make the models, and they aren't the manufacturing company's only client. So even if the molds are done and the raw materials are purchased, Wyrd still had to schedule time on the machines for their product to be made. So even if Wyrd is ready and raring to go, they still might only have that time on the machines for Reva that late in the year. 

I remember that was one of the reasons they gave for how sporadic and somewhat non-intuitive the release schedule for the plastics was in the early stages. Some of the sculpts and artwork weren't approved for some models, and they were booking time as needed for the models that were already done and approved. Not certain if that is still the case any longer, or if I'm misremembering, but if Reva is a July 2017 release it's possible the reason is partly because they don't have manufacturing time ready until that late in the year. And or it just might make the most sense as they are likely to spread their product out that far. They have a chunk of new models to release, as well as a large kickstarter coming up, and they likely don't want to launch it in a manner that competes with selling their other product. Who knows.