New Shen Long player, what to do, what to get?!

MightyBroden

Someday I'll either be convinced that Snipers are good or I'll think of a way to convince other people that they stink...

Until then, I'd say to get 10T Brothers (they're the best model in the faction) and possibly Tengu. I like the Kamaitachi as well, although Peasants are good enough that I still often hire them instead. Also, I am a big fan of all three of the sold-separately Ancestors. Izamu is an excellent beater, even better when given a push and Fast; Yin is the best speed-bump of all time and having easy access to heals on her via Low River Style makes her 100% better; Toshiro is the only summoner in the faction and the models he summons are quite strong (the :+fate he gives to minions attacks also comes in handy with a lot of the models you'll have as well). I also like the Low River Monk, although they are of more limited use than Brothers or Tengu.

Shenlong with 2 snipers and his totem is brutal. The peasants can focus them once. Shenlong can move them and make them fast. Then the snipers shoot once at 28 inches with focus. Take the 0 focus from Shenlong and take a second focused 28 inch shot. The shot is ++ and the damage is a +. This is four shots a turn.

30 minutes ago, MightyBroden said:

Hmm very interesting. How well do the TT brothers and Tengu work?

I believe they both fulfill the basic Schemer role, though slightly differently.

With Tengu, there is a good deal of mobility via Flight, however you'll want to understand the rules for how to move with flying (If you don't already) because it might catch you off guard.  But besides that, they get places well and can Scheme like the best of them, plus they can Anti-Scheme with a few cards to throw away.  Their Regen buff they offer is something you might use out of chance, but not really something I would bet most people focus on (Unless the model you're giving Regen +1 is suitably resilient, so you know 1 Wd will be worthwhile).

TT Bros on the other hand are more like flowing-brick walls.  Their Ability to pick a stance gives use to any value card, depending on the Suit you're looking for, which is really nice.  The stances themselves are also very useful for getting things done, making them fairly utility.  Crab lets them stand firm, Eagle can provide a bit of unexpected mobility to achieve objectives or get into range to engage opposing models, Monkey likewise provides the means to engage for annoyance and the other.. I think I've forgotten :P.  Needless to say, while slightly less mobile than the Tengu in a straight dash, they are far more likely to stand toe-to-toe with opposing models (Especially Scheme Runners), and their damage isn't terribly poor, though it may be difficult to enable the cheating to really drive it home (Not really that great for just taking pot-shots).

I've played both, though not terribly much.  I don't have a local community unfortunately, so I don't get to play as much as I'd like to.  I have to say though, instantly I fell in love with the TT Bros just for their ability to turn any low-card into a useful perk every turn.  It really makes your hand feel like nothing is wasted :)

7 hours ago, tomjoad said:

Until then, I'd say to get 10T Brothers (they're the best model in the faction) and possibly Tengu. I like the Kamaitachi as well, although Peasants are good enough that I still often hire them instead.

Are 10T Bros really that good? I mean, really? Why!? I can tell that they are solid in defense and the options for their (0) are quite fun, but I have never played them.
On another note, what changes does taking Kamaitachi bring to Shenlong's game the most for you? When do you prefer him over Peasants? I seriously love the look and abilities of the little bugger and would love to play him at a later time.

9 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Are 10T Bros really that good? I mean, really? Why!? I can tell that they are solid in defense and the options for their (0) are quite fun, but I have never played them.
On another note, what changes does taking Kamaitachi bring to Shenlong's game the most for you? When do you prefer him over Peasants? I seriously love the look and abilities of the little bugger and would love to play him at a later time.

10T Brothers are just hard to remove by targeting Df, because of their +1 Df while they have the Defensive stance. Their 0 action gives them a nice tool-box that only needs a 1 to go off. Their attack action has good triggers, but the real sticking point is that all scheme markers within :aura5 can't be removed, which when combined with their over-all survivability makes it really easy to get any scheme marker related schemes.

Yeah, for 5ss you get a model is is disproportionately hard to shift; that can self-heal; that can help sift through cards; that can teleport 3" out of engagements or past terrain obstacles; that can prevent models like Rat Kings and Performers from wrecking your scheme markers and benefitting from it; that can occasionally hand out Slow while engaging everybody within 4"...I mean, aside from being Ml5 with minimum damage 1, there is nothing these guys aren't awesome at.

On ‎23‎.‎06‎.‎2016 at 7:49 AM, Eclipse said:

They really are. They cost 5SS and have a great stat line (a def of 6 and a Df Trigger). I've managed to get Def 7 and Df :+fate:+fate:+fate with ease. His (0) Action has really really great Triggers. The best one, imo, is the Eagle Style which is a place in 3".

• Like 2

On 23/06/2016 at 6:49 AM, Eclipse said:

They have a habit of out performing their costs. I've had one spend a game tieing up Gracie, and ended up killing her, whilst remaining alive itself. They are very solid at holding a position, fairly solid at laying scheme markers, and keeping them there, and, with the use of focus, can put out a decent amount of damage when they need to. sometimes this requires you to spend some resources on them, but a lot of it can be done without that effort. 

They might not be for everyone and every situation, but they are a powerful tool in the toolbox. 

• Like 1