Henchman Hardcore... Help!

Dogmantra

My LGS is having a sort of casual Henchman Hardcore tournament on Monday, but there are prizes up for grabs and I have to get that mystery box!

The only trouble is that I suck at Henchman Hardcore. I was hoping for help and/success stories. In terms of what I have available to me, I've got most of the faction minus a couple of the newer releases (I wish I had McTavish really, he'd be my leader if I owned him... maybe I will proxy him in if allowed). I just seem to rely on gremlin tricks like out activating and scheming super hard that you just can't do in HH.

I was thinking of running Sammy as my leader, with Gracie + Saddle, a Slop Hauler and Old Cranky. I'm just concerned about a couple of things: firstly, that if they have something to ignore armour my powerhouse goes down. Secondly if I encounter incorporeal I only really have Sammy's Ca to deal with it (and there's a nonzero chance of facing Hungering Darkness). Thirdly, running a peon is a massive risk because of scoring potential for turf war. I'm also not entirely sure about running a Slop Hauler. They've not been as great in HH as they are in regular games, and I'd rather have a Lightning Bug. I only put it in this list because the healing is better for Gracie.

Thoughts? Any good lists based on or entirely ignoring my ideas?

Trixie with Francois, The Sow, and a Hog Whisperer. Trixie helps you win initiative, which is crucial in HH. Francois has Companion so can alpha like a boss. Hog Whisperer can give The Sow Reactivate, which, when couple with Trixie winning initiative means outactivation. Trixie can also Push The Sow ridiculous distances. And Push enemies away from scoring.

The idea is to win ini and have the opponent go first. Then have HogW go and give The Sow Reactivate. If you don't have masks, you can go Reckless and try three times to deck the appropriate card. Francois goes forward. Now, depending on the situation, Trix can Push The Sow or the enemy. The Sow goes twice last and hopefully inflicts damage. Next turn she goes first and Companions to Francois. There should be few enemies left at this point.

Depending on the board, you might also go first with Trix and simply Push the opponent's models away.

• Like 4

I JUST did this tournament last week and won 3-0. Now I AM a resser, but the concept is universal. we had a 30 min time cap. on each round. so normally who ever gets assassinate wins.

Pick ONE game plan and apply liberally to the affected area, normally on your opponents face!!

I would use Trixiebelle or more likely Francois LaCoix as the leader, joined by Lenny and a slope Hauler. Lenny will give them the ram for the heavy hitting trigger to make them either die or burn there stones. he will also reduce the damage they take with his big target ability. With Francois infinite crow trigger just keep firing until you see the right moment and use his double positive ram trigger to lay them out they are not likely to want to get close with his MI 6 max damage 10. (might want to casually remind them as a deterrent) the Slope Hauler because.....Slope Hauler. as for the Fourth model... maybe something with blast or a movement trick so you don't have to use Francois AP to get in range.... season to flavor with the upgrades you like......

it's a high risk high reward strategy, but hey with Gremlins what isn't?.. let me know how it goes:-)

23 minutes ago, JudgeDread said:

I would use Trixiebelle or more likely Francois LaCoix as the leader, joined by Lenny and a slope Hauler. Lenny will give them the ram for the heavy hitting trigger to make them either die or burn there stones. he will also reduce the damage they take with his big target ability. With Francois infinite crow trigger just keep firing until you see the right moment and use his double positive ram trigger to lay them out they are not likely to want to get close with his MI 6 max damage 10. (might want to casually remind them as a deterrent) the Slope Hauler because.....Slope Hauler. as for the Fourth model... maybe something with blast or a movement trick so you don't have to use Francois AP to get in range.... season to flavor with the upgrades you like......

it's a high risk high reward strategy, but hey with Gremlins what isn't?.. let me know how it goes:-)

It's IME of paramount importance in HH to keep your leader from dying. If you manage that, you are very likely to win. Francois dies most of the time. I would never, ever take him as the leader.

1 hour ago, Math Mathonwy said:

It's IME of paramount importance in HH to keep your leader from dying. If you manage that, you are very likely to win. Francois dies most of the time. I would never, ever take him as the leader.

I agree, but from the list of Henchmen he has... I would probably favor Old Major, Lenny and 2 wild boars and give someone dirty cheater, he does not have him.  maybe trixiebelle then? I think she has a pretty nice shooting.... hard to say as i started gremlins for a "all fun no cares" army. 

1 hour ago, Dogmantra said:

Ha, well trixie is one of the models I don't have - I really dislike the sculpt and would normally rather spend the 8 stones elsewhere, so I sold mine because getting a half price mah box seemed too good to pass up.

Can you proxy it?

I haven't got her either =/ but everything I read makes her sound awesome

what about Trixie, Burt, Gracie, a stuffed piglet and 1 upgrade? 

hear me out..... trixie can do her push/pull to get the stuffed pig up if need be right? or push them out of the turf. it's turf war so people will be clustered to a degree for the SP and Burt has blasts as well, hes good in close and can shunt attacks off the gracie who can heal.... not saying it's and end all group but might be something to consider?

• 2 months later...

The key to HH is killing your opponents henchman while staying alive. Not having to get stuck into the mix and having healing options is a big step towards staying alive. So a ranged henchman who does not have to randomise for engagement and ignores cover is a big plus. 

The all or nothing list I've run a couple of times of 

Francois + dirty cheater

lucky effigy

stuffed pig

killjoy

with all his stones and a never ending trigger, Francois can kill anything with a strong hand. Effigy is there to act as bodyguard to Fran. Plus the pig gets in the enemies face and explodes before Killjoy mops up. 

• Like 1

So McTavish is the strongest option so far, huh? How about our mutual friend, the crazy luchadore Moncha Roja?

I love Mancha Roja, he's always such a fun model to play, but I don't think he's that great to lead HH. He either wants a lot of support or a lot of resouces to stay alive, and that's pretty important in HH, and if he leads you're only sitting on 3 stones which isn't really enough to damage prevent for him.

FWIW, I ran McTavish, Old Cranky, Gracie w/ Dirty Cheater and a Lightning Bug in the event and ended up taking second.

• Like 3

Yeah, Dirty Cheater to cancel out the 2 wounds from reactivating and then you've got 5 activations (any low card for her second activation = 1 wound healed, cause you can take Rile Up you just can't get any benefit from it, so just cheat anything in). Cranky sits with McTavish and drops scheme markers to push him around. Bug does whatever cause bug don't care, although for their (0) any tome can be another scheme marker for a McTavish push. It worked way better than I theorised it would, although the one opponent I was kinda scared of (an Arcanist player who ran Joss the last time I faced him) ended up bringing a fluffy list for fun, so I didn't get to see how anti-armour affects the list. I expect it would go down a bit in quality.

• Like 2

I like McTavish and Old Cranky in HH. The list I am very tempted to try in my next event is McTavish with dirty cheater, old cranky, Burt with dirty cheater and Pere Ravage. Mc Tavish and Cranky hang out together with Cranky dropping markers for McTavish to use whilst Burt and Pere go after the opponents leader with Burt passing off attacks onto Pere.

My personal favorite list I have ran with was Francois as the leader, Mancha Roja, Pere Ravage, and Lucky Effigy. They all hit very hard and are difficult for the opponent to survive against. The Lucky Effigy's 0 action lends a little bit of healing to Francois. Francois stays back and just shoots so you don't put a lot of damage on him, unless the enemy gets into his engagement, then go to town. Mancha and Pere are just death machines with huge threat ranges.

Overall though I think the most sturdy Gremlin list that I had seen at my LGS was Old Major, two Warpigs, and a Stuffed Piglet. Old Major stayed back in relative safety and used both of his actions to push both Warpigs and give them the suits that he wanted. Then the Warpigs would charge gaining the positive twists due to starting a charge within 4" of Old Major and maintained the turf war by just being able to soak up a lot of damage. The stuffed Piglet just kept walking forward until it could blow up on the enemy leader and whoever else it could catch in the blast. Also now with the free upgrades to the warpigs this list is probably even more powerful.

Overall though I think the most sturdy Gremlin list that I had seen at my LGS was Old Major, two Warpigs, and a Stuffed Piglet.

Woah, that's pretty nasty actually. I don't really consider pigs with Set'er Off because they can be kind of awkward, but this gets around it pretty well. I'm generally slightly wary of Old Major as a leader cause his Df is pretty bad, but definitely gonna consider pigs a bit more for HH, especially now that I got a great game in with Wild Boars.

• Like 1