Wong Essentials?

WyrdMatt

Morning all.

I am looking at expanding my wong crew because I only have 1 model for my Wong crew which is M1.5 Wong (which is the same model for M2E I think). I also have the M2E cards for Wong.

My question is should I buy the Wong crew box for the other models in the box or should I buy a box of lightning bugs? What else works well with Wong where my money is better spent?

Thanks,

Matt

Wong's crew box is more thematic than it is particularly useful for him. Lightning Bugs have a little synergy (if they get hit by a blast they can take damage to take a 1 AP action), and I love Mancha Roja so you could definitely buy his crew box but if you're on a budget there are probably better things to use. You're not going to go wrong with Wong's crew box by any means, but there's no fantastic synergy or must-have Wong model you're missing out on, although Lightning Bugs are very versatile and just nice to have.

The most common way I see Wong played is to use him as an AoE damage dealer himself and the Ooo Glowy upgrade to make one of your other models into a beast. Some of the best models for that are Burt Jebsen, Gracie, McTavish or Francois LaCroix. Personally my favourite is Gracie - with the Regeneration, since she will likely be activating twice a turn, she can heal up the 2 damage she takes from getting reactivate, and it makes her pretty nasty (with Rams and Ooo Glowy, she's dealing 5 damage minimum with an attack). Burt is a good pick in general too for Wong since not only does he make a good Ooo Glowy target, but he can use Crackerjack Timing to get enemies to bunch up ready to cover them in blasts.

I've seen some people use Hannah and Lazarus as mercenaries to use Ooo Glowy and they're certainly valid picks too.

Sammy LaCroix can be a good choice - she can hold the Ooo Glowy upgrade and allow Wong to take his other Limited upgrade which gives him :+fate to all non-duel non-damage flips (so randomising into combat and the pulse on his attack are the main two) which can make him much more accurate and less worried about hurting his friends. Plus Sammy can give out a condition that requires enemies to take horror duels in an aura - if you get two overlapping, you can force two horror duels per activation. Again this is good with Wong because it means your opponent is more likely to have their models bunched up.

As usual, Slop Haulers can be good, particularly on a budget. They can heal well but in a pinch if you need them to become fighters, they can handle that at both melee and range.

Personally I'm not that fond of the Lovely Assistant, and so I tend to prefer Old Cranky as my totem.

• Like 1

Passing a horror duel only makes you immune to that source of horror duels for the rest of the turn - if you took a walk action and ended up in the engagement range of five terrifying models, you'd have to take five checks, so if Sammy has the condition on two different models, that's going to make enemies take two checks when they activate.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like Wong with both the Lovely Assistant and Burt for the cracker jack timing. Burt is also a great target for oooo glowy.

If taking Burt, he combos well with Gracie (who is also a good target for oooo glowy). Merris is a solid choice as well and can combo off Wong even if you don't need her scheme running or blast/pulse protection.

If you don't like the Burt & Gracie package then McTavish is ace with the oooo glowy buff as well.

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2016 at 7:01 AM, D6Damager said:

I like Wong with both the Lovely Assistant and Burt for the cracker jack timing. Burt is also a great target for oooo glowy.

If taking Burt, he combos well with Gracie (who is also a good target for oooo glowy). Merris is a solid choice as well and can combo off Wong even if you don't need her scheme running or blast/pulse protection.

If you don't like the Burt & Gracie package then McTavish is ace with the oooo glowy buff as well.

I've been wondering - does that mean I could use the "Crackerjack Timing" action twice in one turn - once with Lovely Assistant, and once with Burt?  The Action has the limitation "this action may only be taken once per turn" on it.  

Building on that, I'm trying to come up with a decent 35ss Wong list for an upcoming noob tournament (only fresh players who've never been in a tourny before can enter).  I've played a couple of lists, but if anyone can give some feedback, I'd really appreciate it.  The 3 rounds are:

Game one:
Deployment:Standard deployment
Strategy:Squatters rights
Schemes:
A line in the sand
Break through
Bodyguard
Make them suffer
Power ritual.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game two:
Deployment:Corner deployment
Strategy: Reconnoiter
Schemes:
A line in the sand
Break through
Protect territory
Plant evidence 
Entourage
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game three:
Deployment: Flank deployment
Strategy:Reckoning
Schemes:
A line in the sand
Assassinate
Deliver the message
Distract
Cursed object

For a trial game on the round 1 setup, I played:   Wong (+ A Gremlin's Luck), Old Cranky, Sammy (+ Oooh Glowy), McTavish (the Glowy target), 2 Bayou Gremlins and 3 Stuffed Piglets.  It went pretty well against a Zoraida crew, McTavish doing good damage but him, Sammy and Cranky clumping up and being quite static so everyone got everyone else's bonuses.

For a trial of the 2nd round, I took:   Wong (+Oooh Glowy), Old Cranky, Killjoy (+ Dirty Cheater), Wild Boar, 2 Bayou Gremlins, 2 Stuffed Piglets (against a Pandora crew).  One of the Stuffies raced up and self-imploded to release Killjoy, who I thought would be nigh-unbeatable so I charged him into Pandora and only lived through the self-flagellation because of my opponent's crappy cards.  He went on to kill her, and I won the game, but I'm just a bit wary of making such a large investment in Killjoy at 35ss level. It's truye that he could be a game-changer, though.

What do you all think? I'm also considering the Wong/Burt/Gracie (and maybe Sammy) crew, or one heavy on Wild Boars to start upfield and Sammy/Lenny summoning more pigs.

Cheers!

On 02/07/2016 at 0:24 AM, Bazlord_Prime said:

I've been wondering - does that mean I could use the "Crackerjack Timing" action twice in one turn - once with Lovely Assistant, and once with Burt?  The Action has the limitation "this action may only be taken once per turn" on it.  

Once per turn actions only apply to that model. So yes, both Lovely assistant and Burt  can crackerjack timing in the same turn, but if Burt has already Crackerjack timed, you can't obey him to do it again that turn

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clockwork_Fish said:

Combining Wong's Boom! spell with the Lightning Bug's Blast Resistant and Knock it Off abilities is a very efficient way of getting extra attacks out of them, creating a pretty nasty magic gun line.

It's two Wd inflicted on the Lightning Bugs per AP and they aren't very durable nor is their range long enough to hang safely at the back. I think that triggering Knock It Off yourself is a trap most of the time (naturally there are exceptions but they aren't common). YMMV.

• Like 2

Thanks all.  I'm not naturally drawn to the Lightning Bugs, to be honest.  But I'm getting more used to happily nailing my own Gremlins to get them to perform better.  Played yesterday with an "Oooh Glowy"-ed Rami, (flanked by Lenny, of course), and one-shotted a Black Blood Shaman at 30" on the first activation of the game.  Sick.  Still, Rami walked away from that with only 1 wound left, and Lilith soon caught up with him...  :-)

One thing I'm still unsure of is how effective Wong's blasting is going to be at the 35ss level, when there are probably fewer models around to bunch up. What do you think? Are there any Masters who naturally tend to clump up, no matter what?

17 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

It's two Wd inflicted on the Lightning Bugs per AP and they aren't very durable nor is their range long enough to hang safely at the back. I think that triggering Knock It Off yourself is a trap most of the time (naturally there are exceptions but they aren't common). YMMV.

Except that Blast Resistance reduced the damage by 1.  I'm not saying do it every turn, but why play Gremlins if you aren't going to play a little recklessly?  :lol:

7 hours ago, Clockwork_Fish said:

Except that Blast Resistance reduced the damage by 1.  I'm not saying do it every turn, but why play Gremlins if you aren't going to play a little recklessly?  :lol:

It does, yes. But you need to suffer damage and then another damage from Knock It Off. It's impossible to do without suffering at least two Wds (at least one from blast/pulse damage and one from activating Knock It Off). By far most of the time I find it too steep a price to pay on a squishy model.

• Like 1