Who is a good second Master after Hamelin?

Rat King

Hello,

I'm trying to decide what Master to get next after Hamelin.
Preferably I'd like one that likes the schemes and strategies that Hamelin doesn't like.
It would also be nice if I didn't need to buy much beyond their crew box.

What I own so far for Outcasts is: The Hamelin Crew, 2x Brotherhood of the Rat, Killjoy, Convict Gunslingers, Johana.

Your suggestions would be very appreciated.  :)

4 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Plus, her box gets you the best scheme runners in the faction.

At this moment, yes, but if we want to look a bit further then Winged Plague would easily replace (or at least successfully compete with) Void Wretches in this task. Plus Winged Plague is a Vermin which nicely fits with Rat Catcher reactivate action.

Hmmm is Winged Plague better than Crooligans for scheme running? Is it worth saving the SS for the Sewer King upgrade? It seems like Sewer King is an auto include everytime I want to play Hamelin, maybe it's the scheme pool everytime I want to play Hamelin that makes me choose Sewer King everytime.

If you think that you might at all explore Rezzers, I might consider picking up the Molly box. It comes with the Crooligans, plus the additional models. Just a suggestion, since buying most 3-packs of models that also come in 3s in crew boxes, tends to be iffy since if you later decide to buy the crew box, you end up with a bunch of models you won't necessarily find a need for (except for certain things like extra Witchling Stalkers for Sonnia summoning).

• Like 2

Well Hamelin does some very interesting summoning and plays a great denial game (as in: negating most of your opponents schemes!) but tends to lack killing power. If you're hoping for another Outcast Master (recommended, since Outcasts have some great opportunities for cross-crew hiring), then the options are;

Viktorias: Like playing a cruise missile - VERY good at killing but you expect them to die by the end of game. Fortunately they tend to take a large chunk of your opponents attention and crew in the process. ;)

Misaki: Also great at killing, but a bit more like a scalpel blade than the Nuke that the Viks tend to be. Misaki tends to play more of a hit & run game, and her assassination trigger provides alot of answers to otherwise difficult to kill models (Riders, Ashes and Dust etc)

Tara: Plays more of a mobile/support game, handing out Fast to her crew and with effectively 6AP per turn to shoot/hit/scheme to her hearts content. The big drawcard with her is her ability to give fast to, then bury a big beatstick (usually killjoy), then throw it in her opponents face before burying it again before the opponent manages to kill it in return. Kinda like an explosive yo-yo.

Leveticus: The One Man Apocalypse. Great at just annihilating one model per turn, then burying himself (or just not caring if he gets killed) to come back next turn and do it all again. You have to keep his Hollow Waifs safe or he'll go down easily, but otherwise he's a very dangerous Master to get near. He's also got some nice summoning and card draw, both in the form of Abominations. 

Jack Daw: The King of Debuffs. His curse upgrades can totally neuter an enemy model, handing out Tormented can make life tough for the enemy and both can't be countered through traditional means (he really doesn't care about enemy condition removal). He's great at just sitting there, pushing models around and just making life very hard for your opponent. IMO he's got one of the deepest playstyles of any Master, making him one of my favourites. 

Von Schill: Kind of like a Swiss army Knife, or Jack of all Trades. He's resistant to alot of enemy attacks, will neutralise alot of common negative conditions and his crew does much the same. He's decent in both Melee and Shooting, but he does tend to prefer to stick with the rest of his crew, for better or worse. He's actually my least favourite Outcast. but he has his uses. 

Of those, I'd recommend the Viktorias or Misaki, since they'll offer a much more aggressive playstyle than what you'd be used to with Hamelin. Levi is also quite aggressive, but his summoning overlaps somewhat with how Hamelin plays. 

• Like 1

Since you have Killjoy Tara would fit right in. She is a support master, but her bury mechanics make Killjoy work well. As mentioned up thread her void wretches are excellent sceme runners to boot. Add a box of Death Marshals and a secondary beater like Bishop and you'll be set for a while.

Von Schill is is generalist who can tackle most any scheme and strat combination, but doesn't excel at any of them. You'll get consistent performance out of him, but not a lot of "wow factor". His box includes a trapper and a librarian which are arguably, point for point, the best minion and enforcer available to Outcasts (and even if no the best they are still very, very good). You'll want to add a beater in the form of a strongarm suit or Lazarus. Hannah would be a good add as well.

An Levi. He can do any scheme and strat combo because he has more flexibility in crew selection than any other master in the game. He is a murder machine on his own. There are very few models that he can't eliminate in a turn through shooting or melee on heavy weights. Getting his crew box, a second box of abominations, Ashes & Dust, and Lazarus will provide you with a very flexible crew that can handle most situations, even if you don't dive deep into Levi's hiring pool. That said, he also gives you the freedom to sample models from every faction except Gremlins. He also like having Obedient Wretch and some rats along to ensure activation control. Allowing Levi to hold off until late in the turn changes him from a chainsaw to a scalpel. Be warned, however, that he can turn into a crutch. I find myself going to Levi even though I own 7 masters almost all the time.

I'd say hamelin and the viktorias are a good natural combination. The downside is you "need" to consider vanessa to complete the sisterly quadfecta. If you don't want to spend on anything other than the crew box, i'd put my money with the man himself, Von Schill. nothing is more awesome.  Nothing. well, maybe two von schills.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't really believe spamming models to take advantage of schemes. Truth be told, I am also quite bad at scheme related pools! (ehhhehe) I like to spend a few more points on the models I intend to use to this end. That said, If you aren't averse to using out of faction goodies, Nix and a few guild hounds are an absolute terror on the sideboard.... Crooligans make a mockery of most things in their SS cost for their role... Stuff like this is probably why models like Ashes and Dust or Ama No Zako are my answers to scheme missions.

I agree with Rath in his analysis.  For what Hamelin provides, Misaki and the Viks provide a good counter measure and balance to your Overall Outcast capabilities.  A good 3rd Master would be Von Schill.  Tbh, out of all the Outcast Masters I've been playing, he's become one of my favorites to play (after Misaki and Levi).  Something about seeing him and the Freikorps models running around the board is something I've taken an affinity to.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4554551// said:

Faction restrictions aside, and please forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't misaki just a bad mei feng? 

Not sure how much experience you have with either, but both do very different things in combat.  Both play good games, and when catered to the right strategies and schemes, perform quite admirably.  I compare them like this: Mei Feng is a "small game hunter", where Misaki is a "big game hunter".

Mei Feng specializes in jumping into a bunch of minions/Enforcers, and tying them up with her long reach, forcing them to attack her before getting away.  With the right cards and/or soulstones, and the "Misdirection" upgrade, she can avoid a lot of trouble.  "Make them Suffer" would be the scheme that best categorizes her.

Misaki specializes in going after the bigger targets, with her higher Ml and Assassinate trigger.  She activates late turn usually, which by then your opponent's hand size is likely to be less than where it started at.  "Murder Protege" (and sometimes Assassinate) would be the scheme that best categorizes her.

Closest Outcast Master that comes to being like Mei Feng would be Von Schill though, if that's the type of Master you're looking for.

• Like 1