Lynch Advice/Questions

WolfDayDream

Ten Thunders can drop dead I don't give a darn about them so when I get Lynch he will allways be Neverborn. With that said I got to know. Can Lynch make any Darkened model give out Brilliant or they need an actual skill that says as much? Also advice wise what is good besides the Brilliant induced models? (Depleted, Beckoner, Illuminated) what other models would work? I know 'Darkened' are a shoo in for him but I not played or seen him in action...

The Illuminated are great. They deal high damage and are quite resilient: Armor +1 and two regenerations per activation (ability + 0 action).

Beckoners are nice, but I have to admit I use mine more to lure models than for spreading brilliance

Depleted are great cheap meatshields. The more I use them, the more I love them.

About spreading Brilliance, keep in mind that Illuminated have a different way than the rest of the crew (Under The Influence) that affects just the target. The Illuminated attack place a 3cm marker and everything within 1" gets the Brilliance, so they're useful to get Brilliance on models you're not able to directly reach with an attack (you can also target your own models with this attack, just for the sake of putting the marker in place).

If you're playing neverborn you need a doppelganger. Hands down the best utility piece in the game. With Lynch brilliance isn't extremely important, it's iceing on your cake for your already good models. I also like Mr Graves he adds some extra mobility to the crew and isn't a bad beatstick. 

The crew I tend to take when I'm not sure what I'll need is ;

Lynch w/ woke up with a hand, want to see a trick,  and either the eternal hunger (if I guess a not too killy crew) or rising sun (for killy crews)

Hungering Darkness with fears given form and/or addict

Doppelganger with retribution's eye (or not if  I guess a not fighty crew.

Mr. Graves

And a couple of illuminated and a Beckoner

Then I will fill out my crew with either tots or depleted depending on if I need markers or numbers.

I've had tons of fun with Lynch he's capable of dropping a bunch of burst damage in short order. For extra credit use the doppelganger to copy Huggy's obey and have their own crew wreck themselves.

Edited by Slobber

Darkened is almost useless unless you take Addict Upgrade, but your Darkened 'Minions' get some attack / damage bonus by it.

Depleted are good tar pits, but watch out distract. They can't interact, so your opponent can use them for VP. 

Terror Tots / Gupps are good scheme runners for Lynch, because Lynch can recycle :mask A for their Sprint / Leap.

If you're playing neverborn you need a doppelganger. Hands down the best utility piece in the game. With Lynch brilliance isn't extremely important, it's iceing on your cake for your already good models. I also like Mr Graves he adds some extra mobility to the crew and isn't a bad beatstick. 

The crew I tend to take when I'm not sure what I'll need is ;

Lynch w/ woke up with a hand, want to see a trick,  and either the eternal hunger (if I guess a not too killy crew) or rising sun (for killy crews)

Hungering Darkness with fears given form and/or addict

Doppelganger with retribution's eye (or not if  I guess a not fighty crew.

Mr. Graves

And a couple of illuminated and a Beckoner

Then I will fill out my crew with either tots or depleted depending on if I need markers or numbers.

I've had tons of fun with Lynch he's capable of dropping a bunch of burst damage in short order. For extra credit use the doppelganger to copy Huggy's obey and have their own crew wreck themselves.

How do you use Mr. Graves with Huggy, who has FGF upgrade? Do you have to walk to Huggy to push him?

You can use Mr Graves to show huggy the door, easily getting him within his 9" charge threat range. 

For the main question, yes, brilliance is the icing on the cake. If you get it, great, if not, you're still fine. Focusing on getting brilliance out there is a trap that detracts from actually winning the game. 

Doppleganger is amazing. Simply incredible. Look at all the different abilities on all your cards, she does them all. Then look at your opponents cards. She does them too. 

Depleted are great tar pits, terror tots are fantastic scheme runners and a sprinting doppelganger is insane. 

Graves is awesome mostly for showing the door to your own models. 

Beckoners are for the lure. 

Then here's the best bit: Whatever you want! 

Look to the mercs, look at whatever hitters you like. Everything is good with him as his main thing is card quality. And by having better cards than your opponent, you are able to effectively field anything, unlike other masters that get and edge out of synergy. Jacob runs off quality. 

Mulligan and drawing 2 extra cards is super, super strong. 

Apart from that, fears given form on huggy cos 3" range. And rising sun. Just glue those cards together. Being able to drop a huggy in the middle to soak up the hate and get in everyone's way with a 50mm base and 3" range with fears given form. Then once they deal with him, he comes back! 

• Like 1

Just start next to him. It's fine. 

You're not a summoner, so you really have no need for your high cards turn 1. Spend a high one and get huggy eating face from the get go. Best open ever. 

Or if you take a beckoner you can always show her the door, then have her lure huggy while getting the auto push. Gets him closer. Obviously only works if you take a beckoner lol

Just start next to him. It's fine. 

You're not a summoner, so you really have no need for your high cards turn 1. Spend a high one and get huggy eating face from the get go. Best open ever. 

Or if you take a beckoner you can always show her the door, then have her lure huggy while getting the auto push. Gets him closer. Obviously only works if you take a beckoner lol

Nice options, thanks!
I do generally Walk+Lure with Beckoner. And if I can push her beforehand, I could either double lure Huggy, or try to lure enemy, if he comes too close...

That's great!

Yea, typically you'd double lure huggy to get him in the middle of things with his giant engagement, but of course options are worth keeping open. 

Though typically I avoid beckoners unless the terrain/schemes/strategies demand it. They do a lot of nice things, but shed make a much better 6 stone option. 

You can use Mr Graves to show huggy the door, easily getting him within his 9" charge threat range. 

Yes, but walking to Huggy to show him the door... Sounds like waste of AP.

And activating near him requires you to pass Df14 duel. Not really nice way to start your turn

I think of FGF as a way to maintain card superiority. Spending all of Graves AP to put huggy in position is fine with me if it will net me 3 or so df 14 tests. And with Lynch I've rarely felt starved for cards so burning a ten to prevent damage isn't a big deal. Also with his armor Graves is only taking 2 so it might not even be worth the card. 

Brilliance is much more of icing on the cake for Lynch than it is a staple ability that he builds around.  It's good to have a lot of models that can take advantage of it if you can, but no need to feel married to having as much Brilliance output as possible if it doesn't work for you.

I definitely encourage you to think more about Lynch being all about card superiority as there's something amazing about being able to end most turns with significantly more cards than your opponent.  This in general means you can nearly always rely on having good hands in games with Lynch.  This in turn means that you can usually always rely on getting in the important actions when you need them to happen at the end of the turn if nothing else because you have cards still while your opponent doesn't.

Never forget to mulligan when you activate Lynch, ever.  The only time I've ever chosen not to Mulligan with him has been because I already had a hand full of 12+ cards (yes, it happens with Lynch and it's AMAZING). 

The only time I've ever chosen not to Mulligan with him has been because I already had a hand full of 12+ cards (yes, it happens with Lynch and it's AMAZING). 

How? The only ways to get more cards (apart the obvious spending SS) are the Upgrade that requires Lynch to activate last and recycling aces. And since we're talking about it: I am correct in assuming that if Lynch himself discards an ace it cannot be recycled?

Correct, Lynch himself discarding he doesn't get it. 

12+ cards doesn't seem right.. I too am curious. 

But yes, it's all about card superiority, meaning you can run anything! Earlier today I ran a tot grow list with 3 tots, a shaman and the grow upgrade on graves. Was awesome. 

Also remember the upgrade that let's him activate last to draw 2 cards, then pay for blood and final debt. With the aces he collects makes him a power house, and brings back huggy. 

Also, illuminated. Do the healing flips even if they're full just to flip some cards over and try for an ace. 

Yes you are correct in regards to the aces. As far as the hand full of rockets (I'm guessing here that 12+ cards means Queens or better not a baker's dozen of cards) I'd guess it was turn two after burning a SS for cards or  a draw heavy build with stitched togethers. Hanging onto good cards turn 1 to set up 2 with a Mulligan is just common sense. I'd also never leave home without woke up with a hand. The two extra cards and the 2 or three aces you'll find a turn often leave you at 5-6 cards at the end of the turn. No damage spread is very nice as it allows you to tie and still do good damage. I like to walk into 6 inches, play for blood, final debt, 52 pick up. With a  reasonable number of cards you can easily do 14 or so damage in a single activation. ( I'm counting on 3 aces, 2 cards from woke up, and a hand of 1 to start)

Edited by Slobber
  • Like 1

Though it is possible to get 12+ cards in your hand at once, it just takes some specific models an a bit of luck.

"specific models"

I appreciate the irony. Could you please elaborate? 

Going out on a limb and guessing the widow weaver and stitched are helpful for drawing cards. Sit down with the book and look for card drawing mechanics ;) 

Nekima, Stitched and Blood wretches all have card drawing. The luck comes from getting triggers for the first 2 and getting all your aces. I don't have the book on me so I can't say about Nekima, but the stitched can get you up to 4 each without reactivate, Blood wretches can get you 1 each. Doppelganger can copy their ability and hit people with her fists for 1-2 more. Ace in the Hole can obviously get you 4, and Woke Up With a Hand can get you 2. Stitched and Nekima are the least reliable as they are on triggers, but stitched can get a :+fate from Addict if they go after a Brilliance model, so it's a little easier.