UK Nationals 2015 Feedback

OldManMyke

So thats the 2015 UK nationals in the book and overall Im very happy with how it worked.  We have a deservng champion in the form of Joe Wood, who was the only player to go unbeaten out of the 88, will it be you next year?  No Conrad, it won't be you.

Any way whilst it went well there are still some things i think could be better, so without further ado my pros and cons list

Pros

10 minute set up period, thought this worked very well, games got started in a timely manner and didnt get any complaints about only getting to turn 2

Strats and Schemes per game.  Will be doing this going forward at all my events

round turn around - though we did a good job of this, especially once folks got into the habit of putting table numbers on the sheets

microphone - awesome, nuff said

Cons

Result sheet design.  I screwed up on this with poor labelling, no place to put the fnal score or table number.  That will teach me to leave the production of the sheets to the last minute and just do a shoddy cut and past job.  That will be improved

communication about prizes  I didnt give good enough timings / notice for things like costume, best table and painting.  Will do better

Social  I was crap at talking to folks  just to busy during the event and I know that Sat night i am so mentally exhausted that I am going to bail. Next year I will organise a social event on the Friday night

No Trinity Having a hissy fit when a few folks dislike a decission i make is just childish on my part.  I want folks to be able to play with all their models so will let them

Split rooms, venue sort of dictated this but I didn't like it.  Need to make sure whereever i end up putting the 2016 event has enough space fotr 128 of us in a single space

More prizes - will be doing thinks like Best Display board but need to give plenty of notice so plenty of folks can enter

Well I think thats about it, please let me know what you think, what you liked, what you hated and I hope to see 128 of you next year

Edited by OldManMyke
  • Like 1

I had 7 Great games playing against the mighty Joel and Graham where both very good I still feel really bad for the games against Will and Jakab I'm not sure they was fun for my opponent's but apart from that I had no issues everything was run really well food was good I managed to finish all my games so thanks again guys

Edited by JazzNazz
  • Like 3

First things first, it was a great event had loads of fun. Plus, I did 3 times better than last year! (3 wins as opposed to 1)

So now the improvements:

As you mentioned, the score sheets needs improving. But hey, sometimes things get missed, and need a last minute fix. 

The tables needed numbering more clearly, more often than not I was wandering around aimlessly trying to find the table. 

On the use of Trinity, as I said before, I would have no issue with it if schemes and Strats are hidden (like you did). Also, having all the options clearly stated before people start buying tickets would be good. 

Keep up the good work =] 

• Like 2

I had an absolute blast! My first Nationals so had no previous experiences to compare it to - but I really have no complaints! The round timings were well communicated (even though we gave Mike grief for him enjoying having the microphone too much, I'll be honest and say it was a massive help with hearing the time warnings) and as someone who played in the "Special Room" as I think it was dubbed, I has just as much fun in there as I did in the main room!

Mike, Chris and Lee were stars all weekend - special mention to Chris for running around offering to do drinks runs for people, I thought that was a genuinely nice touch as it did get a bit warm in there, an unavoidable state in any venue with 80 odd people though!

Agree on the table numbering - but as is inevitable in this type of event, things get moved and knocked about and some of the table markers were an unfortunate casualty.

On a very short personal note I'd really like to thank everyone for making it such a fun social experience. I get quite nervous meeting people for the first time so the prospect of a room full of new and newish people was daunting but once I'd walked in and said hello, the atmosphere in the room was so friendly that I felt absolutely relaxed and really enjoyed myself. See you all next year and some of you before that I'm sure!

• Like 5

I think as you said yourself at the end of Sunday, this went even smoother than last year and that is a major accomplishment considering the event size.

The score sheet was serviceable, however I do agree it needs a little improving. What had me a little confused was lack of place to note hidden schemes (being one shared sheet) considering that was a small issue that appeared last year.

Timings were good, bar round 1 I got 5 turns in every game I believe.

Would've liked some more visible clocks like last year's projection but this is something very minor.

I was a little surprised by lack of raffle/something giving every one a chance at a prize, but I can respect maybe there is not time for it.

Final minor issue, which didn't effect me but is the pairings round 7 allowing a second game vs same opponent. Hard work I know but, as a community, not just nationals, I think we could do with a nice Swiss round making program. I like my Swiss more "pure" but also as an experience one of my favourite take aways was getting 7 games in vs new and different opponents.

Overall, thanks again to yourself, Lee and Chris again (who needs more public love IMO) for running a banger of an event. I realise it's sounds belittling but I am genuine when I say I was very impressed, inspired even.

• Like 1

Oh and sorry, double post.

I said it at the time of the "hoo-ha" but Trinity, like crossroads, single master is probably fine. My issue, like Tim mentioned, was adding it months after people have paid.

I like all the "different" stuff, I just feel it all should be revealed before people have to put their money down. Nationals being an extreme of this, being the more expensive end of tournaments, two longs days etc

Really enjoyed the weekend.  Was lots of fun.  Very well run and all 7 of my opponents were lovely.  My 2 favourite games were against Conrad and Dave Hill and I lost both of them!

There is one criticism for me.   The microphone. It definitely made it easier to hear announcements etc, but while it was being used, it was nearly impossible to speak to my opponents which was a bit frustrating at times.

Other than that it was was excellent tournament.  I agree that you shouldn't let the complainers dictate your rules pack.  Pick one and stick to it.  If people dont like it they can always not come.  You'll never please everyone.

I had a great time, and there were only a couple of minor things to note. Firstly the score sheet as you already picked up on Mike, and the second was the table numbering. By the time people had put down folders and boxes, it was sometimes difficult to spot which table was which. Those aside it was an almost perfectly run event so thank you to all those involved for making it happen.

Regards the tournament as a whole it was absolutely superb Mike, Lee and Chris handled everything I was aware of efficiently and coped with a massive number of often clueless/needy gamers with an immense amount of grace.  What ever minor issues there were didn't impact on the experience.

It is probably no surprise I started the tournament really irritated about the pre-announced strats and scheme.  Announcing nothing is completely the opposite of this years norm for tournaments in the UK.  Pre-announcement has been deemed to be better for beginners and whilst some in the community have actively lobbied against  provision of more information before tournament day the arguments have been, for the most part, pretty flimsy.

I have to say my negative preconceptions turned out to be wholly incorrect.  The final format created a game experience that was, for me at least, far superior to what I am used to.  The assumption that getting strat/schemes in advance makes you better prepared and therefore able to have a better game may be wholly incorrect.

The best way I can explain, from a personnel perspective, is as follows.  When I get the strat/scheme I'll give the various games and their goal combinations a fair amount of thought.  As a player who favours minion heavy McCabe I'm on the lookout for Stake a Claim, Reconnoiter, Deliver the Message, Plant Explosive etc.  and dislike Reckoning, Assassinate and Make them Suffer.  If it's an "easy" combo I'll assume I have a good chance, if it isn't a combo I don't like I'll expect a rough game.  I will be also looking at which order the game combo's come over the course of the tournament.  In an ideal world tougher combos come up early when I am likely face a less experience player with favorite combos coming later when the competition is likely to be more intense.  I may even end up taking the view that games need to be endured to get to the more "fun" combos later.

What last weekends format provided was a much cleaner experience.  You could only think about the game you were about to play and you could only think about that for few minutes before crew selection began.  There were no pre-plans that turned out be rubbish because the board was wrong for what you thought was a good idea or wasted theorizing over managing particular objective combos with particular opponents.  I found with those distractions stripped away picking a crew and getting on with it was far easier and therefore more enjoyable

The Nationals have completely changed my view on this aspect of the scene.

The other thing was the Trinity format. Don't like it now.  Whilst some will use it for giggles I am sure there are several players for whom fun is a code word for filth and there is real potential for it to mess with the meta.

• Like 2

I've posted about my enjoyment of the weekend separately, so just my comments on the event itself here.

Score sheet was good in principle, flawed in practice, and everyone worked round that easily. However the point made by Ben about hidden schemes/written down 'targets' is very valid, and should be addressed somehow. No problems this year, but we should learn from the past and ensure bad things don't happen. In addition a sheet for each player for the event has two advantages - the next round draw or overall results can be worked out manually in the case of computer failure ( as happened at Deliverance 2, and also running 2 P.S at a smaller event isn't practical), and also as a player I can see who I played previously (I still can't remember who I played in round 3).

Gaining Grounds has to be the basis for the UK's National event, so anything that goes against that is no good from my point of view - I'm thinking of Trinity specifically.  I think it also states that the last round draw stands even if you've already played, so all good there.

Bigger/more visible table numbers would be good. I'd also prefer 'anonymous' painting (no names), but I don't think it affected anything TBH.

Table numbers were noted, but not used to try to avoid players having repeated tables - not sure if your software could improve on that (I'm trying to do that for my tournaments, but then I do randomise and avoid 'top table - but that's just my preference and not a recomendation).

The 'special' room was rather pleasant in a way, relaxed atmosphere and a drinks delivery service courtesy of Chris. But I agree that 1 big room would be better.

All in all, just tweaks towards perfection :)

Edited by Clousseau
  • Like 2

The UK Nationals was the first big tournament I've gone to and I was seriously surprised at how smooth the whole event was. Congratulations to all involved in setting it up and running it.

I think the only real niggles were the table numbers and scoresheets which you've already acknowledged.

As for the split rooms, my first game was actually down there and I didn't mind it at all. It was more like a gaming club atmosphere and allowed me to settle in quite nicely to the event.

There is one criticism for me.   The microphone. It definitely made it easier to hear announcements etc, but while it was being used, it was nearly impossible to speak to my opponents which was a bit frustrating at times.

I agree here. Unless I wanted to take a simple walk, drop a scheme marker etc, my game pretty much paused every time the microphone was in use and we'd end up shrugging to each other and waiting.

The other minor niggles have been mentioned, table names, scoring sheets etc. Aside from these, it was a great fun event and I look forwards to next year.

Fantastic event Mike and Chris and Lee, so well done to you all.

My pros list:

• Unannounced schemes and strats. Really made people take that 10mins setup seriously!
  • 7 great games against fantastic opponents. Well, 6 and John Wharton anyway:P
  • Everything seemed to run very smoothly
  • The crew selection options. The options given gave people lots of choice but didn't cause any meta-breaking issues.
  • The quality and variety of terrain was truly impressive

My cons:

• The mike was ideal for announcing round times and such but found football results, banter etc to be distracting and intrusive during games
  • Nothing to do with you really, but the venue staff were quite unfriendly and rude at times.
  • No raffle! Everyone loves a good raffle!

Already looking forward to next year, thanks again guys.

Hi Mike, Lee and Chris! Thanks for hosting this awesome event. I have some feedback, but would like to say that even if you change nothing to next year I would love to come, and recommend anyone to go!

Things that were especially nice (pros):

• Ten minutes crew building after strat/scheme announcement work very well!
  • You managed to keep everything timely and orderly even though there were som technical difficulties.
  • Great tables and locale!

Things that could improve (cons):

• Information and options for people with dietary requirements (allergies, vegetarians, etc)
  • The PA enhanced banter was a bit disruptive (especially the sports result thing...)
  • Get some software that handles swiss system stuff, and makes sure no rematches occur.
  • Scoring sheets and table numberings as has been mentioned...

And thanks again! I hope to participate more often in the UK scene, and hope some of you would like to come to Sweden and compete =)

• Like 2

Just on the rematches thing, I was always going to do that in Rd 7.  At the top tables IMO you have to have 1 and 2 playing off for the event even if they have played before and I won't be changing that going forward, all other rematches in previous 6 rounds were switched without an issue

If it didn't put to much burden on tired TO's could you apply that to top tables (perhaps top 6) where podium places are at stake.  You are right about top tables but would guess not such a problem further down.

• Like 1

Well I had a great weekend even though my results weren't stellar (to say the least).

I think it was really well run weekend, so my thanks to Mike and team. The adherence (more or less) to the timings was very impressive given there was 88 (give or take) players to organise. Everything flowed and the table service was great.

The Cons are minor and mainly mentioned above, excessive PA banter at times did make hearing difficult at times, scoring sheets were a little light on but functional I guess and thirdly I thought the food options were somewhat diabolical ... nuclear sausages on Saturday with dry rolls and cold pizza and chips on Sunday left a bit to be desired ... It's a gaming weekend so I don't expect a lot but thought it was a bit poor (and probably out of your hands to a degree). The Saturday evening spread would probably have been fine for the lunches.

• Like 1

Great event Mike, loads of positives and probably one of the smoothest 'Big' events I've been to bar one or two hiccups (but *every* event has these, and the bigger events get, the more likely they are!!). I don't think mistakes necessarily take away from an event though, as that's not what you remember.

Pros:

- The reveal of the results from best in faction through to placing's was really well done.

- The atmosphere as a whole was amazing

- Terrain across the board was varied, quality and a challenge. I played in all 3 rooms and played on no two boards even remotely alike, a great feat.

- Awards were a nice quality!

- The 10 minute choosing was very clearly defined, and worked a treat. I know I was guilty in warm up events of taking too long.

- Round timings were excellent and well communicated.

- Connor as Mah.

- Top 3 for both players and judges painting, especially with the quality of painting on show.

Cons:

- Most of the stuff has already been mentioned. (Microphone banter did mean games had to pause at times)

- One major one for me that I whinge about a lot is food quality. I know it's a difficult topic but if you look at the wargaming scene now compared to 5 years ago, especially Faux, we've all tried to trim down and would appreciate something healthier, easier and overall a bit tastier! I know it's hard to organise, but even as a last resort, subway are alright at it. I always complain about this though.

- Me not winning the event

- Half 8 start on sunday...!

That's it :)

• Like 1

Fantastic event Mike and Chris and Lee, so well done to you all.

My pros list:

• Unannounced schemes and strats. Really made people take that 10mins setup seriously!
  • 7 great games against fantastic opponents. Well, 6 and John Wharton anyway:P
  • Everything seemed to run very smoothly
  • The crew selection options. The options given gave people lots of choice but didn't cause any meta-breaking issues.
  • The quality and variety of terrain was truly impressive

My cons:

• The mike was ideal for announcing round times and such but found football results, banter etc to be distracting and intrusive during games
  • Nothing to do with you really, but the venue staff were quite unfriendly and rude at times.
  • No raffle! Everyone loves a good raffle!

Already looking forward to next year, thanks again guys.

Sorry for getting Mike to announce the football results that was my fault I will try to restrain myself if I go next year 

?

Thank for the feedback everyone.  Appreciate the comments about the food, agree with what you've all said above, it was also my thinking.  Catering arrangements were a cause of stress for me for the entire weekend, but to some degree out of our control (like pizzas turning up 30 minute before we'd asked for them).

Chris

Would just like to add to the thanks to Mike, Lee and Chris for all the hard work and running what was an amazing tournament!

I had an absolute blast, all of my opponents were so nice, thanks to all of you for that! I had a really hard time choosing sports.

Haha, and thanks to the revolving dance floor crew for putting up with my bad extremely drunken dancing :)

Some feedback then;

Pros

Food was an improvement on last year, thought it was great to be honest and was really grateful for a late spread on the Saturday night when sourcing food can be a pain.

Bar. Bars are awesome, essential for a weekend event I think, whether you are drinking alcohol or teetotal.

Organisation was good. Enjoyed on the day strats & schemes even though I didn't think I would, but I think without such a well organised and enforced set up period they would've been a downfall.

Great atmosphere, amazing crowd (but that's just the malifaux scene)

Mic for announcements on this scale is pretty much needed, I enjoyed the drunk with power banter tbh :) even if it meant you needed to pause for a brief moment.

Free stuff! 

Painting entries on a seperate table

Improvements that could be made IMO, not so much cons (realise some things are out of control or unavoidable)

Score sheets. For the paint and sports votes too.

Votes for the costumes and tables, would've liked to see the costumes all together.

A touch more space between tables, also more space around the actual table for all the gaming components needed to play, some had none.

Some more thought to some of the terrain, a couple of tables had A LOT of severe terrain on (woods), covering most of the board and I'm saying this as someone who ran a mostly incorporeal crew. 

But to reiterate, easily my favourite tournament of the year, and sure it will be next year, can't wait for the next one! :D

Thanks to all the organizers. I had a blast. I will give it my best to be back next year.

I will do in reverse order since I have always thought of delivering the bads and then the good things.

Cons.

-The food. It was awful. It was barely edible. I like the idea with food organized by the to(nothing we really have in Sweden), but it must have a higher standard and be fit for persons who doesn't want meat or whatever. When even one of your own TO:s won't eat the food because it is not fit for his diet, I feel something is wrong.

-The things said about the microphone.

-Yeah get a program that can handle it. I know Bennie has one. In other tournaments that uses the Swiss system you are never allowed to meet the same player twice, and with 65-128 players 7 rounds is perfect for geting a final winner and all players in the final round should still meet a player who has as much tournament points without playing a player at a lower level of skill (and therefor get an easier win)

That said it is time for the pros.

+I loved the extremely warm welcome I and the other Swedes got. For that matter the warm welcome in general, but it is so easy to sometimes get left out if you are new to the scene. You all did a great job with it.

+Seven fantastic games. That I in some of the played terribly but that is my own fault. Great opponents.

+The great job with the organization of the event. And the quick fixing things went sideways with the printer and stuff.

+Great painting set up and nice painting levels, and great that it was 2*3 prizes for it.

+It worked well with announcing the Strats and Schemes and the starting with the crews.

+A prize for best table. And yes it was clearly the best one.

+A prize for best cosplay.

Thanks for a fantastic tournament. I will be coming back. I hope I will see some of you in Sweden.

Thanks for new friends.

/Lots of LOVE Pi

• Like 1

I too had a great time.  For me, all the important things were done correctly - boards with good terrain, nice organisation of round times, clear leadership from the TOs and fun games with other like-minded gamers.

My only complaint was that I didn't get to play against any Swedes!  Well, that and the fact that I was on for a rainbow up until I failed to find Gremlins and Outcasts in rounds 6 and 7.   The food was OK, the scoresheet was usable and even Mike's use of the microphone was quite entertaining.

TOs did a great job in everything that mattered - so thank you to all three of you.

For my more specific thoughts on how the whole event looked through my eyes, I have posted in tedious glorious detail here.

• Like 1