Getting into Ressers ... what not to buy?

surly

I'm currently considering getting into the Resser faction and therefore searched where I could get most miniatures from (I'm addicted to tin models tbh, no chance for plastic, which makes collecting them a bit more of a challenge ;))

So I found most things I'd like to have, but I'm not sure I want everything from that list from a competitive point of sight.

Since we have no Resser player in our area, I came here to ask :)

My basic thinking behind my list is to get all available (metal) masters (McMourning, Kirai, Seamus, Nico and Molly) and all models I'll ever need for a game. Since we're playing pretty competitively in our area, I'd like to avoid stuff I probably will never use.

Here's my "maybe" list:

Jaakuna Ubume

Guild Autopsy

Shikome

Night Terrors

Dead Rider

Dead Doxy

Carrion Effigy

2nd Rogue Necromancy

Since I'm also looking for Jack Daw in the Outcast faction, I'll probably get Jaakuna anyway, but it would be interesting to know if she sees use within the Resser faction.

Guild Autopsies I heard can be summoned, but I don't know if that's great or not. On paper they look kinda weak compared with the other 5SS minions Resser offer (looking at you Necropunks and Belles! :D )

Shikome, Night Terrors and Dead Doxies feel a bit odd, I don't really know where in which cases I want to include them. Being ugly as hell doesn't really help Shikome out tbh :D

Carrion Effigy: I'm mainly playing Arcanists and almost never field the Arcane Effigy there. Carrion feels inferior actually, so I'm not sure I'll ever play it at all.

The Dead Rider looks great on first sight, but so far all Riders (except Mech for obv reasons) I faced where kinda weak. Dead Rider sounds cool as a melee beater, but since he has almost no defence on the first two turns, he can't really get there imo.

Second Rogue Necromancy I'm also not sure I'll need, will I continuously summon more than 1? Or even better: will I ever want to field two of them? :D

Anything else I may have missed and probably will never play?

Would be great if someone could help me out, thanks a lot :)

You two are not really helpful for my wallet :D

Okay you need to change the night terrors, shikomes and autopsies from maybe to hell yes. They are absolutely amazing. I would write you a longer reasoning why. But this mobile thing is horrible to write with.

benStillerDoIt.jpg

... ok ... would be great though if you may find some time. At least on paper I have no idea why they are "amazing" :D

Doxies are pretty good as well, and Seamus and Molly can summon them.

Sure, but both can summon Belles too. In which cases do you prefer getting a Doxie?

Its unlikely that you will often want 2 Rogue Necromancies on the tabel at the same time.

It may happen once or twice, but summoning the necromancy is no easy feat, so doing soemthing else with thsoe 2 Ap and 4 corpse markers is probably fine.

The Carrion effigy is ok, but doesn't have much of a role. There are faster 4 ss models to run schemes, and whilst its moderately durable, its still only a 4 ss model.

Doxys are a different form of mobility to belles. They can push models around where you want, rather than just move them towards you. They also hit harder than belles.

Dead Rider is a reasonable beatstick. Since you're restricting yourself to metal, you don't have  a huge choice of "beatstick", and its generally more durable than the rogue Necromancy, especially late game. But does need protection early on.

If you pick up a Nightmare Lady Justice set you'll have a dead doxie and guild autopsies in metal. 

Without knowing what you're playing or what you have already, it's harder to make suggestions because some of the models on your list won't make it into crews for certain masters, and others might be auto-include to buy. For example, dead doxy is an auto-buy if you're running Seamus, and guild autopsies are a great buy if you're running McMourning, whereas a Shikome is unlikely to make it into either of their crews.

If you haven't purchased any crew boxes, then Seamus would be a good start since his box comes with Sybelle and 3 rotten belles. This box will have the best bang for your buck, imo, since it'll have 3x rotten belles, at least 1-2x of which can go into almost any resser crew--best lure in 2E. Sybelle is also a great henchman because if you get a hold of Molly in metal, Sybelle will be the henchmen for that crew. Since you won't get the plastics, you can't play with Phillip & the Nanny, who are the henchman (one model) for Molly in her own crew box. Sybelle can call belle targeting Molly, giving her up to 12" of additional movement essentially.

Speaking of just the list, I've found a lot of success with Jakuuna locally. She's got decent survivability, and she's not often the target of my opponent's attacks as she has the Manipulative 12 ability plus incorporeal. She's a pain, though, because with Unnerving Aura she'll dole out 3-6 damage to everyone near her every turn without attacking. She's also an amazing tarpit with a Ml7 that has 3" reach, so if she's engaged at that distance or anything above 2", shooting into her engagement means no randomization.

I would probably pick up Jakuuna and Dead Doxy out of everyone from that list if I didn't know what to run, and once I had a set one or two masters to run I'd buy other models. Some masters like Kirai and spirit Molly will use Shikome and Night Terrors, but those models fight into more specific crews than say, Dead Doxy/Jakuuna.

When I want them to punch someone.

Look for zFiend's Nicodem guide and summoner McM thread. He listed his experiences quite ... compellingly. (He's a true Belle, he is.)

Well yeah there's also a lot of thoughts there. Also shikomes and autopsies on poison Nicodem build. Which is pretty damn efficient.

I would disagree on doxies being auto buys for Seamus. They're good, but you don't significantly lose any power if you don't own any for Seamus. I think I summon a doxy maybe 1 out of every 3-5 games. Don't get me wrong you'll want them, but they aren't even close to them top of the tree in priority of purchases in my opinion.

@Ben,  You might actually want to look again at Shikome, they are actually pretty decent with Seamus. The biggest problem of course is their competition at that price range, but when a scenario comes up where killing is the objective, they can be handy little balls of destruction. For a 0 action that can attempt to get the advisory condition on an enemy, (or Datsue Ba can put it on an enemy) and if the enemy has Advesary, not only is your shikome getting a positive twist to attack, they also get an automatic +1 to dmg, taking their min dmg to 3, and it also gives them the ability to target either WP or DF with their talons, giving enemies in Sinister Rep's -wp aura the pleasure of dealing with an effective ml 8, min dmg 3 and + to attack flips melee monster. 

I wouldn't put them especially high on the to buy list, but they are VERY useful to spirit molly, and pretty decently useful to Seamus.

I would disagree on doxies being auto buys for Seamus. They're good, but you don't significantly lose any power if you don't own any for Seamus. I think I summon a doxy maybe 1 out of every 3-5 games. Don't get me wrong you'll want them, but they aren't even close to them top of the tree in priority of purchases in my opinion.

@Ben,  You might actually want to look again at Shikome, they are actually pretty decent with Seamus. The biggest problem of course is their competition at that price range, but when a scenario comes up where killing is the objective, they can be handy little balls of destruction. For a 0 action that can attempt to get the advisory condition on an enemy, (or Datsue Ba can put it on an enemy) and if the enemy has Advesary, not only is your shikome getting a positive twist to attack, they also get an automatic +1 to dmg, taking their min dmg to 3, and it also gives them the ability to target either WP or DF with their talons, giving enemies in Sinister Rep's -wp aura the pleasure of dealing with an effective ml 8, min dmg 3 and + to attack flips melee monster. 

I wouldn't put them especially high on the to buy list, but they are VERY useful to spirit molly, and pretty decently useful to Seamus.

I was looking at them b/c of your comment, and they are pretty good. You're right, I'm not sure how often I'd hire them at that price, but they could fit into certain schemes and strats if things are on the kill heavy side. 

Datsue-ba, now there's someone I want to work in and then shikome will take on a whole new use.

Ant, Stryder on the forums, whom many people respect as one of the best resser players in the UK, if not over all, really likes Datsue-ba with Seamus. I personally haven't gotten the magic down yet, but I'm still working with it. Seamus' Potential synergies with Seishin summoned by Datsue-ba is really interesting. My biggest issue with Datsue-ba, is the exact issue I have with Doxies. When you play Seamus, if you are trying to actually hit something and do severe dmg with his gun, you are already looking at 2 severe level cards. Add in his back ally and now you need a 7+, and (2) severe level cards. So you are already banking on half your hand being 7+. And that is before you even consider potentially summoning in another Belle. The more models you add to your crew that require 7+ TNs on spells, the more you need even a better hand to reliably get anything to go off.

It's the biggest reason I'm not a huge fan of doxies because to even just get your models to move without having to worry about a contested duel, you need another 7+

per Doxie you want to actually use the 0 action. and if it's opposed, you need 7+ of something that will beat whatever they are prepared to cheat to prevent it. This is of course not counting for lucky flips, but I build crews that assume you are going to have to cheat every TN you want, so that if you don't have to its just gravy for you. Adding Datsue-Ba to the mix means that you now need another 9+ to make Weigh Sins go off, and a 6+ (if I remember correctly) for Call Forth to go off. Its just so many high TN required abilities that I don't tend to like mixing them all in the same crew because all it would take is one or two bad hands to strip your effective ability to do anything.

But I'm still working on it. =)

Haha, thanks for all the answers :D

Just to make this clear, although I want to avoid plastics, I'll just get metal proxies for the rest of the faction or convert it myself from other Wyrd stuff.

I just like that clumsy, characteristic look of most tin models ... don't judge me :mellow:

I don't think anyone elaborated on the Night Terrors yet so here goes.

They are the best model you can hire for Reconnoiter. They are ridiculously tough for their cost and very maneuverable. Insignificant hurts but it doesn't hurt as much as you'd think if the Scheme Pool and the Strategy are correct. Reconnoiter, Entourage, Power Ritual. Hire a Necropunk for the Power Ritual and Night Terrors will never be sorry they are Insignificant (well, they would be utterly broken if they weren't so in that way they are sorry).

And note that nowhere there did I even mention their actual active abilities. And that isn't because they aren't good, it's just that even without them they are amazing. But add those and they make for crazy distraction pieces that can tie up models way more expensive than them.

Finally note that their Ml Trigger has lots of words on it and is a bit corner-case until you get to the very end: "Then, this model may push up to 5 in any direction." That's pretty nifty to say the least!

• Like 2

The wallet is the one who gets hurt the most. 

The good thing is, since I almost got the full faction now, I'll soon have Arcanists, Outcasts and Ressers complete, so not much to invest then.

I mean, come on ... I definately won't buy a fourth faction ... I can control my obsession .... right?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Too late
:P

Also, I own an insane amount of metal... most of it unpainted.

I know that feeling.

Molly with dual flesh constructs and dual rogue necromancy? I can do that. Punk Zombies, the Students and Valedictorian. Necropunks and Crooligans, Madam Sybelle and some Belles? I have them too.

I bought most of them for Leveticus, then realised that I could run them with Molly also.

Edited by Freman