Yolototo: Ten Thunders' Underrated Little Brother

BigHammer

Awesome article. I've felt Little Brother was unfairly maligned for a while myself, but this is an excellent write-up of an effective way to use him. I think Yan Lo and Shenlong also bring some added movement to him without really sacrificing anything, but I've tended to use him as a second wave anchor in Misaki lists to some effect, holding the backfield, or threatening a control zone (Turf War, Guard the Stash), etc.

Other models to think about: Katanaka Snipers' (0) gives out Slow; Sidir can dish out heaps of Slow wit Empty the Magazine; The Archers can also dish out Slow from range, but they need a suit; Ten Thunder Brothers have a Slow trigger on their Ml, just like the Archers they don't have the suit built in.

Personally, I have tried Ototo a handful of times with various results. His WP is quite bad, but there are quite a lot of WP buffs in Thunders so it can be dealt with. Yet he might be in for a though fight against Ressers and Neverborn. Another thing where he struggles a bit is against beaters who can over power him, but those are a handful and as long as you can survive two hits without reaching the Hard to Kill threshold, Ototo will have a shot. Other than that, he's got plenty of cool tricks, and master-level amount of wounds. In the right situation he hits constantly and like a truck. To me, he is a "potential" Izamu. They share nearly the same relationship as Howard and the Rail Golem. One of them is way more reliable, and will constantly give you great effort. The other will in the right situation utterly destroy large samples of the opposing crew.

You make a great pledge for Ototo, BigHammer!

Fantastic tone, really enjoyed reading this and it makes me want to get Ototo on the table again. Write more like this!

I've tried out the Yu, Ototo, McCabe crew once and Ototo died pretty quick. But now I'm keen to try it again.

I went through a period of using Yu and McCabe together every game, it was a lot of fun, but after a while I found I was getting where I wanted quickly, really quickly, but was often caught/out of steam end of turn 2. Then the rest of the game could be clinging to keep my up my VP.

A lot of my Shenlong + Yu builds have felt similar, I end up with one or two speeding missiles that take up my focus and everything else scrapes by. I blame Yu. He's costly and adding a support henchman to a support Master makes the focus of their attention vulnerable. If it dies quickly it can hollow out your list. Makes me think Strangemetal Shirt might be a good idea. Or a few more soulstones.

You've fired me to go back to these builds and try them out again. Been a while and with your inspiration I'll approach it with fresh eyes.

Great read, you're so right about Ototo being in the wrong crew box.

I totally agree that Misaki does nothing for any model except maybe Last Blossom minions and that is only based on having an upgrade, which is normally not on her.
I have thought with Ototo and Graves to wake him where I need or want him.

Ototo is better in with some strategies and vs some crews, just not gremlins or guild.

McCabe is the low hanging fruit answer to everything in this faction. You have a problem with a model, well run McCabe and he will make it all better.

I also feel that Ototo and the Torakage could play off each other well, but as I do not own that crew box I have never used either of them.

I'll have to give this a shot some time. I've considered running him with Brewmaster since brewie tends to get himself dug in somewhere and doesn't spend half the game cruising from table edge to table edge, I figure that alone shores up the speed issue. Then he is free to walk around the bubble and flurry anything brewmaster is holding up. The cleanup guy after the drinking party if you will.

It isn't as creative as yours is (and I'm going to try yours out one of these days!) but this seems like a fairly easy thing to try. Ototo, brewmaster, some scheme runners and high river monks **because I can't seem to elave them out of any lists now days**

This was a great post. You've got me wavering on Ototo from a "never ever use him" up to "well, maybe after I paint my McCabe."

The problem with using Ototo with McCabe, in my mind at least, is that there's such a long list of models that I want to try with him, and that I already am convinced are good. Of course, the way I keep imagining McCabe is as a worse version of Shenlong, so I admit right away that I'll need to rethink things to maximize Lucas.

Thank you all for the kind comments. Ototo has always been one of my favourite Ten Thunder models, and I love playing about with underdogs to try and find ways to make them work, so it was fun to write a bit more about him.

TheBarbalag: Yan Lo is easily my second choice master to use with Ototo. Bring one or two Onryo, make Ototo a spirit with Trancendence, Lightning Dance an enemy into Ototo and go nuts. You can more confidently deal damage to Ototo with your own attacks in this crew to Enrage him because the Armour +2 he gets from Trancendence makes those last 6 wounds go much farther. It is much more difficult to justify taking Ototo over Izamu in this case, though, since he already has Spirit, Armour +2 and doesn't need to move around as much. The only advantage Ototo offers here really is a few more wounds, Enrage and being able to do three attacks and still heal, while Izamu has the benefit of being able to be re-summoned once with Reliquary.

Patzer: I have a list stored away somewhere with every model available to 10T that can inflict slow. Sidir was very close to the top of that list, of course, since Empty the Magazine is so great, and his Sh7 is simply awesome, but I find that in this crew he hinders more than helps. Yin can damage and root from range, debuff Ca/Wp, and apply Slow in melee (that she can push into from 8" away, potentially), and her Ca can be boosted by bringing Chiaki (she only needs one Chi to go to Ca7, equalling Sidir's attack value without suffering from cover or randomisation penalties). She's also far more annoying in general to deal with, especially with those smoke grenades, and synergises with the Komainu (she gives it its slow or burning triggers for free when it's close to her), so she got the ranged-support slot in the crew that Sidir might have taken up. Yu's upgrade attack can also push and slow enemies, so later in the game (he can spend turn 2 moving 14" to get back into the fight) he can push an enemy into Ototo's reach and make it slow as well, giving more ranged-slow support. The archers are fantastic, but extremely fragile for such a small crew. They require a strategy of their own to work (but they do work so well).

Scarlett Fever: Ototo dying can often be as a result of overestimating his Wd 12. It sounds like so much, but it can be taken away so quickly with his average-low defences. Soulstones aren't really enough. As counter-intuitive as it may be, pushing him up the flank or a well-covered side-path to begin with can increase his survivability, especially if you occupy the front of the enemy forces with hard-to-affect models like Yin. Once he's covered the distance to the middle of the table, even on the flank, his Badge-of-Speed-Nimble and potentially another push or two from McCabe (who can spare them) will be enough to keep him flurrying things for the rest of the game. The plan is to slow the enemy and potentially push them around anyway, so they shouldn't be getting away too quickly. Lightning strikes quickly, but the Thunder comes in its own time...

Jeremy: I think Mr Graves would want a few words with you if you hired Ototo for bouncer duty, but I can see the appeal. There's a lot of healing going on in a Brewie crew, and if you have any Slows that target Wp you can almost certainly get them off. Alternatively, having an enemy model on  :-fate from Swill makes them a great target for a Massive Tetsubo. If only 10T could hire something similar to Lenny, Ototo would probably die of happiness at getting free  :ram.

• Like 2