Bushwhackers

Trample

Seeing all of the new gremlin boxes coming out soon I was looking at bushwackers a bit. What do folks think of them? I really want to like them, but I really don't think they'll quite live up to their cost. I mean, are they really twice as valuable as a bayou gremlin? 

Agreed.

Mah is the :melee Chuck Norris of Gremlindom.

Add to that, you get the Little Lass as a totem that can use Mah's action, the ubiquitous Trixie that sinergyzes as much with Mah's crew as she does for Wong and Brewmaster, and any other Gremlin master, even Ulix as she can push pigs away.

Then the new bushwhackers for the reasons above.

A spark of Burt and Gracie may be the only thing I would add to make them even better. Scheme depending, of course.

• Like 1

They could use a minor boost, really. They don't have access to true three AP like many other Gremlins. They can get an extra shot if they see a target that another Gremlin missed by suffering two wounds. That's a lot of things that need to happen for that extra AP and their non-Focused shots suck. Finally, since they are quite fragile as is for 6 SS models paying those two Wds is a steep price.

Now, that isn't to say that one should never take them. One can be nice as they do shoot good when Focused. OTOH one SS more gets you Burt or Raphael or Rami.

Most unfortunately however, they have a sort of anti-synergy with Mah as they all discard cards for various effects which is weird design to say the least. Furthermore, since they randomize into melee normally they really aren't a good fit for Mah.

Their only tiny bit of synergy with Mah is that they are pretty good in melee with a slew of nice triggers but it really isn't enough to make one field them with Mah.

Zoraida should like them as she can give them Focus so they can do real damage with their Boost Their Confidence attack. Maybe Brewie as well sorta, though I'm not really convinced that he would bother Obeying them much.

Absolutely amazing minis, though and for that alone I will be fielding them. Also good if you want to build a Gremlin list with a bit less of a punch when facing someone new to the game.

I agree with Math pretty much on all points. Especially the amazing mini's make it worth to field them against newer less experienced players. Would one take them to a tournament if one aimed to win said tournament, probably not. 

• Like 1

Nope. Ulix has nothing on Mah box really. :P

It is Ulix that I want to play (now that I know I can get his box soon!), but I have to agree with this.  If the plastics live up to the renders, I think Mah has the best-done box, maybe in the whole Malifaux line.

Edit: Fixed. Random, acts of; punctuation? 

• Like 1

Then would you go for just the ones in the box or is it any good to have a few extra?

I am thinking of the Moon shinobi and although they are actually able to stick it to the enemy on close combat, there is rarely a strategy/scheme i see use for more than 2 of them.

Well I'm pretty new but looking at a Stats perspective they are pretty bad. Rooster riders, burt, fanc, 2x Bayou, slop hauler, lightning bug, rami, & Raphael are just plain stronger. Also like math said two damage for an extra shot is painful on a low resilience model. I think in the right list they could have a niche role but Tbh I think our two strong 5 stone models are more reliable because they can heal, do similar damage, and can deal with niche situations (high Def and low cheat cards for slop and armor and incorporeal for bugs)... Ohh and they have reckless which just pushes them over the top.

I will say I love the one with the funky hat so at a minimum I'm getting the box for trixie, mah, lass, and funk hat bushwacker

Since I just finished my Puppet Wars Trixie doll conversion, I'm going to be waiting on Mah's box. The models are beautiful, but aside from Trixie, I don't really need them for play (for all the reasons stated above).

For the original question of whether they are a better choice than BG's, no, I don't think so. Your basic BG, for me, are either scheme runners, meat shields, or pigapult ammo which also happen to have a shoot ability. Their SH 4, again for me, even when focused has never produced any sort of reliable results and so I tend to shoot only if I don't have something better to do with them or it's a hail-mary attempt at a model with 1-2 wounds left that absolutely HAS to die this turn.

Yes, we all have stories of the 'Little Gremlin that Could', but for me they are there to be a nuisance, burn opponent AP, eff-up opponent scheme marker placement, gain objectives, or screen Lenny from lures. For the stones, bushwhackers just don't check those boxes for me as well as the little guys do.

I'm pretty stoked about getting the Trixie box. especially since it comes with Mah and the Little Lass. 

the bushwhackers seem neat though. I'll put them on the table and try them out before i decide if they're good or not. (as i try to do for all models). 

The SMACK! trigger on their melee attack looks like it could help out in turf war.  Along with Reposition and a solid ranged attack, they feel like a weird cross between a Guild Rifleman and a Torakage.

2/4/5 from a focused rifle shot is nothing to sneeze at.  And their movement shenanigans mean they can potentially take some work getting to.  Yes, they'll go down if attacked, but Mah is the queen of counter-attack.

I don't think I'd ever use more than one or two, but I'm definitely interested in seeing how they do.

I am leaning towards making 2016 the year of the Gremlins for me, playing all 6 ( I don't count zoraida!) masters and the various minions etc to try and 1) get some variation (ie there is only so much Guild I can play) and 2) to try and work out the synergies within the faction.

I aim to try and sit down with the books for the latter part of the year and draw up lists etc to try out once my models are ready for the tabletop.

Sweet models though.