Where to draw inspiration from?

I was looking for some inspiration for my Zoraida crew, so I decided to watch The Blair Witch Project. Hungry for more I came to Off Topic Playground to ask for some recommendations of movies about witches and voodoo, which... proved rather naive, because I ended up googling movies like Hocus Pocus (Thank you crush_jansen.) :D

Let's say someone is starting with Malifaux and they fancy certain box set or particular model. What movie, book or videogame would you recommend to them? Or maybe just a short story you found on internet or wikipedia article. But not Malifaux books nor Wyrd Chronicles, because those would be redundant thanks to G Mort and the Character Background Location Index he made, which I would like to thank him for.

If somone was interested in Hamelin, you would obviously recommend them to read The Pied Piper of Hamelin, for example. But it's not allways going to be this easy.

So... what would you recommend to someone who likes Zoraida? Dark magic, voodoo, jujus, cannibalism... For example, Dirial recommended me to watch Ladies of the Wood quest line from Witcher 3: Wild Hunt videogame, which is a prime example, but I have already seen it.

Thank you in advance :)

I like that I see Malifaux vibes in many movies and games nowadays which gives me inspiration. I watched a really shitty movie called Priest lately and thought to myself "well this just sucks balls seriously but the world seems a bit like malifaux" :P

I haven't seen the movie for a long time but I always thought that The League of extraordinary gentlemen was a good base for Steampunk and Malifaux inspiration.

Don't you mention that horrible insult of a movie!

The comic is excellent, though.

• Like 1

That movie was quite shit wasn't it.. Like Van helsing.

Yes. Awesome soundtrack in Van Hellsing, though.

Brotherhood of the Wolf also has a bit of a new world Gothic feel that works too.

Yep, the mindsets and characters are fitting. The setting is largely too aristocratic central European. Lucius may find some like-mannered characters...

Although the tone is vastly different, I like parts of Shanghai Knights for the genre mix of Victorian, Western and Eastern action.

Baba Yaga has always been one of my favorite folk lore characters, so I used her for my inspiration for my Zoraida crew. I'd point you first to the wikipedia article, then an amazon search for kids books that have russian tales in them... and if you're looking for something more grown-up, Enchantment by Orson Scott Card and Egg and Spoon by Gregory Maguire both feature Baba Yaga as a main character.

I had just finished reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern when I first obtained my Colette crew, so all my showgirls are painted in black and white with a splash of red.

For a general feel for Malifaux, I'd recommend Boneshaker by Cherie Priest for the steampunk/zombie vibe, and Perdido Street Station by China Mieville for a steampunk/ WHAT IS GOING ON WHAT EVEN IS THAT THING vibe.

• Like 1

Also I just painted my Von Schill crew as the Psychokorps, inspiration from Borderlands.

That is awesome.  Pics?

Love this topic - I've been racking my brain trying to find good Malifauxian references lately (specifically Lynch and Neverborn) so I love to see everyone elses thoughts!

Baba Yaga has always been one of my favorite folk lore characters, so I used her for my inspiration for my Zoraida crew.

For real? Tripping all over her tits running away from Odin doesn't really inspire me with feelings of awesomeness. ;)

My inspiration for Zoraida would be voodoo as fuck!!! I love me the voodoo... can't wait for Marie Laveau from WWX - thats my permanent Zoraida proxy. The zombie snake as bad juju?! - awwww yaaaa. B)

Baba Yaga has always been one of my favorite folk lore characters, so I used her for my inspiration for my Zoraida crew. I'd point you first to the wikipedia article, then an amazon search for kids books that have russian tales in them... and if you're looking for something more grown-up, Enchantment by Orson Scott Card and Egg and Spoon by Gregory Maguire both feature Baba Yaga as a main character.

I named one of my black cats Baba Yaga. Who doesn't like huts walking around on giant chicken legs?

Ink is another movie that has some Neverborn-esque themes going on it it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink_(film)

Yesterday I went to the library and borrowed Enchantment. The description seemed a little bit girly (romance and such), but I opened the book on a random page and read one paragraph and then one more on another page (Oddly enough, they both were about peeing :D ) and I laughed out loud so decided to give it a try.

And as I type this I am downloading Drag Me to Hell. Angry gypsy witch sounds more than promising.

• Like 1