Which 2nd Master - New Player

Deluge

Hello there,

Currently I own Lilith, Nephilim pack (2 Young, Mature) and Nekima, I would also like to start off a second master but I am not really sure in which direction I am wanting to go.

I only want the Plastic Figures which at the moment puts a couple of Masters off as some of the models are metal only (and I have enough Lead on my Shelves thanks to GW) and I also want a Master that plays differently to Lilith but can make use of the Models that I have already. So really I assume that I am looking for either a Summoner or a Support Master so as far as I can see it my choices are

• Dreamer
  • Lucius
  • Zoraida

Dreamer Pros

Summoning or Support

Boxset looks amazing

Dreamer Cons

Until the Twins are available in Plastic not much cross model selection

Lucius Pros

Ranged Models

Lawyers

Lucius Cons

Opens up Guild and this will make my Wallet Cry

Illuminated Look Amazing with Lucius BUT I hate the look of the Dark Debts Models (except Graves and Tannen)

Zoraida Pros

Swampfiends have synergy with Lilith

Obey on Nephilim in Zoraida Crew

Zoraida Cons

I'll want Collodi and Dolls (Plastic Only)

Zoraida works really well with Liliths models and vice versa. Lilith can get a lot of mileage out of most things but of the three masters you said here I think Zoraida is the best option. Lucius can use anything and a Lucius/nekima grow list could be very interesting. The Dreamer and Lilith have the least cross over other than the twins, but Lilith can use Copelius (he works well with just about everything) and the alps could be interesting with her, perhaps on a model she has just used tangle shadows on and with wicked mistress she can hand out slow as well (now I want to try alps with Lilith, see how it goes)

• Like 1

Lucius/Nekima Grow List? Now you have my attention. Tell me more

I can see the Terror Tots and Young Nephilim working well with him since they're Minions, however I run into the same issue. I want a Black Blood Shaman but not available in plastic, not too keen on Proxies as I love Wyrd and want to support them with my money by buying their models.

From a 2 box set, Lileth and Zoraida probably have the most overlap. Lynch also has a lot ove overlap.

Zoraida doesn't really have any special relationship with Collodi or his crew any more, so I'm not sure UI would list that in the cons at all really.

Pandora is fairly happy to use models you have already, but her box doesn't add much to the Lileth box.

Dreamer needs quite a few other models if you are planning on summoning, a lot of whioch aren't currently in plastic.

Collodi isn't in plastic yet, and probably makes you look at buying as many effigies as you can get.

Lucius doesn't bring anything in his box for another neverborn master to use.

I'd say none of them play very like Lileth (dependign on how you play lileth. I could probably play her in a similar manner to all the other neverborn masters at a bit lof a push)

@Dirial, I like the mechanics of Lynch & Co its just the aesthetics that I do not like, I could of course convert the crew into something that I could use but at the moment have no idea what that actually is. It seems a lot of work for little gain at this point in time that is.

@ZFiend, what is it about Lucius that you find fun? Obviously he looks sound in Objective type games and scenarios and with the right crew he looks to have a decent melee threat in the way he can control Minions and Miimics

@Adran, thank you very much or your comments, I am actually looking for someone who does not play like Lilith so could have a Kill Crew and a Control Crew so to speak

Lucius loves nephilim just as much as illuminated and Barbarossa can help keep his squishy gun lines alive. Having said that I'd have to rule him out straight off the bat because literally nothing in his boxed set can be used by Lilith. I think you'd be better off saving him for later to maximise the utility of your second box.

The Dreamer offers a different play style, but if you want to go down the summoning route it means picking up a lot more models. The box does get you coppelius plus Alps which are a nice unit but I'd say for maximum overlap pick up Zoraida first.

Everything you've got works well with zoraida and Lilith can make use of silurids and juju. Get the waldgeists as well because they're good, they're swampfiends and they generate more terrain

for Lilith. You'll also probably want them when you pick up Lucius and/or the Dreamer.

The most wise choice of course is Zoraida for overlap.

But Lucius is a whole different gameplay from any other masters as where he plays to schemes and objectives and tries to keep his very fragile crew of minions alive. He's a tough one to master I think, but it'll be fun trying to do just that. And it teaches you to play for schemes and strategies that you can later use for other crews as well. He's a great learning experience.

zGuild at your service.

My soul hurts once again. :(

No seriously I am loving Lucius after just two games. That guys possibilities and scheming is really real when playing him. But you have to be careful and sneaky as well because your minions get torn to shreds if you overextend. I think his personality in the fluff transferred really nicely to his rules.

And he teaches you positioning, attention to schemes, thinking ahead, careful playing.. Add those to Lillith gameplay later and you are one heck of a treat!

• Like 2

I love running young with the Dreamer, but you lack a lot of the option because they are not out in plastic.

When I played my first game with Lucius it felt a lot like the Dreamer minus the summoning, a lot of models getting extra actions and the master was there to make them shine.

Lucius can work well without guardsman, I had him, a lawyer, the scribe, Nekima, 2 young, a depleted, and a terror tot and it function with a good amount of growing.  I could have dropped the Lawyer for beckoners or one of the twins and been relatively happy with the list.

I am not a the Hag fan though I love her box, except for her. She does work well unusually independent of her crew comp.

I guess it really comes down to what you want in a master. Dreamer is flexible though I find it is best to summon 1 model with him a turn. Lucius gives you actions and some range option, but after adding in 3 guild riflemen and Dashiell are you really neverborn or are you guild with a purple label. The Hag.... I can not really talk about her other than obey and her totem.

Who do people think is the Neverborn best support master?

• Like 1

I suspected that. The only question is do people think either his limited upgrades get in the way of the role. I do not think the summoning one does if your limit your summoning. In 10 games with him I have only brought Chompy out twice, and I think I used his base range attack once.... I prefer to empty night journey teddy if I need to hit someone on the Dreamer turn.

He is actually quite easy to master after a few games. I played him pretty much exclusively for about 6 months after the beta. It was really fun. He is really damn good. I found the summoning path to be vastly superior to the Chompy path though. But yeah, he's quite easy to learn but he has the potential to be played for a long time and not master him fully either. He has quite a lot going for him. Utilizing the Chompy path to the fullest for example.

Yep did him for 3 or 4 months of just him and I am still finding things, maybe one day I will go down the chompy cycling path. I love daydream and would recommend salting in non Nightmares minions with him as well, I love Young for there damage output.
Shocked someone when I first started with him because of how I kept tract of everything.

Ok quick update, I ordered Teddy (who can resist that model, seriously amazing sculpt), Waldgeists and a Doppleganger from an online store and noticed that they had a Pandora box with no shrink wrap at -35% RRP so my second master is going to be Pandora.

• Like 1

Ok quick update, I ordered Teddy (who can resist that model, seriously amazing sculpt), Waldgeists and a Doppleganger from an online store and noticed that they had a Pandora box with no shrink wrap at -35% RRP so my second master is going to be Pandora.

It's a good deal. Let us know how your games go and please post up pictures of your painted crews. :)