Pyrflamme

What do you all like to do to handle shooting when playing with Ten Thunders, when talking about some of the nastier shooting crews that can get :+fate to their attack flips (lots of Guild, some Outcast such as Levi, others). I've had success with Mei Feng with the Wind Upgrade to double Vent and keep up with her crew bubble, as well as Smoke Grenades, but I got fairly rolled in a game versus Perdita last night (Misaki with Shang, Toshiro, Tokarage, Samurai), no Smoke and Shadows upgrade). I was thinking Smoke and Shadows, but that seems to require ol' Y carrying it so she can nimble walk the first turn then Smoke Bomb and let the others follow, so that they can move further upfield first turn.

You have luck with Fuhatsu? He looks awful on paper...

Anyway, OT; Ten Thunders has some of the best anti-shooting tech in the game. Smoke and Shadows, Mei Feng's Vent Steam, a whole host of fast moving high Df models. I've had games where my multi-focused riflemen spent the entire game shooting at Ten Thunders brothers and doing nothing - I've since learned to just target other things unless the Brother HAS to die.

Of course Perdita doesn't much care what tech you have, that's kind of her gimmick so (normal caveats about terrain aside) dealing with her is mostly target priority. The Family goes down FAST unless they are hiding in pine boxes. Katanaka Snipers or Archers with BtS should take out the support characters easily enough.

Yamaziko can't use the abilities on Smoke and Shadows anyway, so that plan wouldn't work.

My personal favourite is to use Yin as a blocking piece, with Smoke Grenades attached. Stick her in cover and any projectile attacks are at  :-fate  :-fate  :-fate to hit her. Even Purdy has to use Trick Shooting, Focus and a Stone to get a straight flip against that (or get within 6" and Trick Shoot and Stone).

• Like 1

Cover. Stay in cover. Misaki and Mei Feng have good mobility if you set it up and pay attention to the board. Katanaka snipers get  :+fate  and can shoot 28" if they Focus (for  :+fate  :+fate ) and they have a solid melee attack, so shooting and advancing is a viable strategy.

Mostly I try to stay out of line of sight, and anything that's shooting me is the top priority for my kill list.

Depending on what you're up against, Hans is definitely worth the merc tax. 9ss for armour piercing, card depletion, and an ability to shoot 36"? I'd say he stands up to many of the 10T models. I second The Lone Swordsman, but Bulletproof 3 won't save you against a bunch of Guild models.

Really, the best defence is not getting hit in the first place.

I played my first game against a dedicated shooting list with my Misaki crew yesterday. My opponent ran Lady Justice, Daschel, Lone Marshal, Judge and three Riflemen. I happened to be testing my new Katanaka Snipers, and they were incredible. My opponent didn't realize how dangerous they were, and thus left one Rifleman without cover and one in only soft cover. My first Sniper focused and hit the one without cover with double positive flips, which carried over into a straight damage flip that came up severe, instantly killing the rifleman. The second sniper took  a shot at the one in soft cover and got a straight damage flip, which I cheated to severe to instantly kill that one as well. I believe the Riflemen would have destroyed most of my other units with their threat range of 18", insane damage potential and tendency to have multiple stacks of focus at all times, so being able to pick them off from outside of their range was a god-send.

• Like 1

I recently wen up against a Lucius crew that included 3 Guild Riflmen, Guild Captain, Barbaros, Mekima, and possibly someone else...  Anyway I took 2 Thunder Archers, Sensei Yu with Blot the Sky and Wandering River Style, Misaki with Stalking Bisento and Recalled Training, and some Tengu.  

I kept the Archers and Yu together and out of LOS of the riflemen used the Blot the Sky attacks almost exclusively.  Yu could push the archers and give fast.  On the rounds I was able to I double focused with the archers giving +++/+++ to their Blot the Sky attacks.  I attacked the easiest targets to hit and used the blasts to hit those in better cover/better Df.  It devastated the riflemen who never got to shoot back, since they never got LOS.

I use Misaki like a yo-yo.  If Yu wasn't pushing/fasting archers he was doing it to Misaki.  I'd push her out with fast, giving her effectively 5 +/+ actions against stalked targets.  She'd hit hard, use Next Target to push 4" back, then use her last action or two to get to relative safety.

The focusing/Blot the Sky/Archer combo is very effective as well as long as you can keep the enemy from engaging them.  Misaki covering so much ground she can get into ranged units easy then get out or make sure she is engaged with as many a possible to they can use projectile attacks or protect your archers from engaging models.  

Of course the main thing is complete your Strats/Schemes.  None of this would have mattered - except for assassinating Lucius :) - if my Tengu weren't dropping scheme markers while the rest of the crew tied up the enemy.

Pairs of Torakage can be good against shooting, but the problem I usually have with them is that enemy shooting models can circumvent One in the Crowd fairly easily. Since you alternate moving, you will always need to move one Torakage before the other. This often means that your opponent gets an opportunity to shoot it while not protected by One in the Crowd. If it's Guild Riflemen you're up against, this is often all it takes for the Torakage to die. Moving Torakage in pairs is still a good idea, but I actually prefer pairing Torakage with some other model with more reliable protection that can move first, like Lone Swordsman or Yin.

Pairs of Torakage can be good against shooting, but the problem I usually have with them is that enemy shooting models can circumvent One in the Crowd fairly easily. Since you alternate moving, you will always need to move one Torakage before the other. This often means that your opponent gets an opportunity to shoot it while not protected by One in the Crowd. If it's Guild Riflemen you're up against, this is often all it takes for the Torakage to die. Moving Torakage in pairs is still a good idea, but I actually prefer pairing Torakage with some other model with more reliable protection that can move first, like Lone Swordsman or Yin.

If you're moving your Torakage in pairs, that's your problem. Face in the Crowd and Works Best Alone stack.

If you're moving your Torakage in pairs, that's your problem. Face in the Crowd and Works Best Alone stack.

Well yes, when you've managed to close the distance to an enemy model. Torakage can do some nasty damage to models they catch in melee, while getting good protection from shooting by both forcing enemies to randomize and giving a negative flip from One in the Crowd. The challange is getting them to survive until they get into melee, preferably with a target that can't just kill them in melee.

• 1 month later...