Starting Molly

D_acolyte

3 pts is to expensive, 90% of the time all you will do is give an ap out and then become terrifying. Molly doesn't need terror to work effectively. Remember you can't use the same (0) twice. I replaced it with her totem and saved a point.

My firstcmove of the game is to give Black Blood to Madame Sybelle, walk forward, then he pushes the rest crew towards him. Really does wonders to speed up her crew.

• Like 1

3 pts is to expensive, 90% of the time all you will do is give an ap out and then become terrifying. Molly doesn't need terror to work effectively. Remember you can't use the same (0) twice. I replaced it with her totem and saved a point.

You can obey and hand out reactivate. Terror isn't about effectiveness, its just another layer of defence. 

You can of course use Molly, end by giving her Terrifying then accomplice Sybelle to obey an enemy model to hit Molly and fail its terror check, paralysing it.

You might be the only person advocating hiring the Necrotic Machine!  When it can be summoned for a 6 :crow+ it's a fairly easy summon to get out if you really want it in the game (and generally I find myself using it to drop Killjoy).  Her (0)'s are fantastic.  Being able to give a Horror/Spirit (depending on your Path) or a Belle an extra action is excellent and she can also hand out Reactivate which is great for a (0).  Giving herself Terrifying is also pretty nice.  It's a low level but it's an extra level of defence that can force opponents to burn cards as despite the ability to reduce wounds to 1 being a summoner means she struggles to have the cards around for that all the time so if she is attacked late in the turn she can take a beating.

• Like 1

I also think the tear is too expensive, and rarely take it. Don't get me wrong the extra 0 is good, but with the tear Molly has 3 0 actions to choose from, one from a limited upgrade, which Molly will always take, a reactiveate which only works on minions, and the tear's action to give out terror.

The only way, in my opinion, that the tear is worth it is if you are constantly giving out and effectively using the reactiveate ability, which requires a high card and a specific suit. Too many games that I've played Molly the tear ends up being a give Molly terror 12 (all) for 3 stones, which is wildly over costed for the effect you get out of it. My games with Molly only started improving once I stopped over paying for that upgrade.

There is some argument to take it if you take the upgrade that gives a 0 action horror duel to enemies in 4", but intended to stop taking that once I got better at determining how to effectively position Molly. Really I tend to generally only take one of her limited upgrades, and if I take any thing else on her it tends to be take back the night and or unnerving aura.

100% Agee with Kross that the tear of the gorgon, currently, is just way too expensive.

As a side note I almost always hire the machine. Being able to start the game with an extra model for activation, who can inject a model without black blood with it if needed (think sybelle) and can give some to okish movement tricks, is worth having on the board at the beginning I feel. If you need him elsewhere you can resummon but having him in the board to start is actually very useful. Although if running spirt Molly I almost always take the graveyard spirit instead.

• Like 1

To each his own, i walked away from it, and i don't miss it. As to the Necrotic Machine i find him to be a great hire, cheap ap, helps with activation control, giving Sybelle black blood the first turn really helps her survivability, and if i take Killjoy nothing is stopping me from summoning another. Sure, it dies, but if it's already given Sybelle black blood and moved thw majority of my crew 4"forward it's already paid for itself.

You can't summon the Necrotic Machine into play if there is already one on the table, even it would die immediately:

'A crew may never exceed a model's Rare limit through summoning.  If, for example, an Action would summon a Rare 1 model into a Crew when the Crew already has a copy of that model on the table, the effect that summons the model fails' (big rulebook page 51)

• Like 1

That is a good point Jonah, since the wording on the  NM's card is that it is placed then all other friendly totems are sacrificed. 

If you can't place the NM due to exceeding the rare limit then the other one can not be sac'd, so you'd need to kill the original before summoning a replacement.

Good catch! 

You can summon another one, the first one dies. The original one dies.

You can't because the summon itself completely fails.  Molly's Little Secret would allow you to summon it in if there was another totem in play (i.e. Graveyard Spirit) and then the original totem would be sacrificed.  This allows you to get around the no more than one totem rule.  However, the Rare 1 rule as per the rulebook would come into play if you attempted to summon it when it was already in play meaning The Ones Left Behind Action would fail because you are attempting to summon a Rare 1 model that is already play (i.e. the summon would fail before the Molly's Little Secret ability could be used because it would never make it into play in the first place).

I do think this is a question that might need to be in the FAQ though because the intent is not clear.

edit - I've popped a question up in the rules thread if anybody wants to partake rather than take up more room here.

I don't play with Killjoy often, but when i do i usually try to summon him off a drowned. Keeping him within 6" of Molly allows him to accomplice in after she ends her turn.getting a scheme marker down for alits, breaktrough,or plant evidence out of it is just a bonus.

Uh Oh... I also wanted to start the game with the Necrotic Machine out just to hand out BB to Sybelle (and perhaps also a Flesh Construct -- as I see it, BB on a Flesh Construct seems pretty strong, at least on paper).

But now people are saying you can't summon one when there is already a Necrotic Machine in play due to it being rare 1.

Fetid, Since you usually start with one in play, and play Molly fairly often (so it seems), how do you play around this summoning limitation?

Might be playing our favourite girl tomorrow!

Thanks!

I'm not Fetid so I might not count but I have played quite a bit of Molly and always take Necrotic Machine at the start (his Push is a fantastic jumpstart to your crew if you position them wisely).

As for how I play it - I simply don't summon him until he dies. I simply summon something better or do something else with Molly's AP instead. She has plenty of things she can do. Belles can be used to Lure enemies closer in order to enable the summoning of other things besides the NM.

• Like 2