Feeling the So'mer Love

GremlEZ

Hayou Bayou fans

I had three games last Saturday with So'mer based crews. I did not win but my opponents had to struggle for the win. I also did quiet some mistakes, forgetting my schemes or even to place the key markers. Anyway I had a lot of fun. the first game was against never born and I had a very difficult deployment area and got struck very badly from their WP attacks and horror duels :P it was a difficult turf of war for me. The second game was against hofman but we ran out of time, we had max 1:45 per game on the tournament. So we could only play 3 rounds and my crew was just getting ready to put markers :P the swarm played agains me this time. On the last game I went against resers and I had a lot of fun my opponent underestimated gremlins giving me opportunity for lots of shenanigans. I had a small clump with Burt, So'mer, Gracie and leny the best part was hitting the copycatkiller with the pepperbox at max damage and hitting seamus with the blast. next hit was for seamus and I got sick'em girl for gracie and I was just laughing all the time. I got so much fun from the Bayou two card that my opponent was always asking what are you planning now. 

I think my biggest problem was to go through those pesky horror duel, I am considering that adding  a pigapult can improve things against ressers and neverborn. PaP WP10 :D

EZ :ph34r:

• Like 1

I think that was a great experience, Gremlez.

To be honest, the horror duels seem to be the only thing I am worried about against my Gremlins, as they score so low on WP. That is why the Neverborn seem to be the toughest nut to crack.

The pigapult should be an auto-include in a crew that is sure to face them. And if Pigapult is in, there are follow up shennanigans in the form of Lenny and pig farming.

Then I guess that the pigapult would be used as a sniper rifle to Troll the hell out of the main cause of concern - Lilith, Barbaros, Nekima, Teddies...

Dont forget that aparently the Pigapult can be hauled off behind Gracie + saddle to re-deploy.

Liquid Bravery is also nice if you are afraid of Wp stuff. It's essentially an autotake for me for most Masters since Stubborn is so handy. Also note that Skeeters can be used to deploy the buff part.

And then there's Old Cranky who gives out a 6" +1 Wp Aura.

Finally, Francois and Burt are not afraid of much and can kill most things ;)

The one that made me super excited to try Som'er out was dropping in a Sammy with Encouragement. Letting somer give himself focus for a damage... Buh. I don't love forcing Som'er into the summoner factory role- I think it's just a playstyle issue. But throwing him into the midfield bully looks to be very effective. (I haven't done it yet, but I've seen it happen.... fireworks).

Gremlins Crew - 50 - Scrap

Somer Teeth Jones -- 5 Pool
 +Dirty Cheater [1]
 +Family Tree [2]
 +Quality Mash Liquor [2]

Skeeter X 2 [4]
Bayou Gremlin [3]
Bayou Gremlin [3]
Francois LaCroix [7]
 +Dirty Cheater [1]
 +Stilts [1]
Merris LaCroix [6]
Sammy LaCroix [7]
 +Encouragement [2]
Slop Hauler [5]
Slop Hauler [5]

Merris and the Bayous are on Scheme patrol. Slop haulers divide and shore up or tear down. Healing when models need some healing, and dropping slop if they've got the cards and priority target. Francois and Som'er do the main damage, which is why Dirty Cheater. Francois has Stilts for when/if he drops severe or red joker damage. Sammy dropping Encouragement means Som'er can "Do it like dis" to guarantee Thinkin' Luck, then take 3 focused shots (and cheating to heal back damage) and then take the damage for thinkin' luck and (barring cover or the like) potentially cheat damage to heal back that as well. Given poor circumstances, he can take one of his AP to take a swig.

That's the kind of list and playstyle that I really like- limited debuffs (with toss slop) and major buffs to my units to make big damage happen. I dunno. Seems fun. :3

I like where you are going with this: Turning Somer into a Space Merheen captn'.

but in that case, Why not just parking Lenny around Somer to reduce his damage and auto-Thinkin' luck then?

he can then toss the bacon around with Whacked Piglet, and Sommer uses that as a cue for Pig feed to get some extra Trolling.

Encouragement only gives you a :+fate to attack. Not damage as well, so it's not really comparable to Focus.

Someone mentioned giving Family Tree to Sammy and leave a skeeter with her to use Do it like this to give her the masks and let her do the Summoning while Som'er runs around. Sounds pretty damn fun!

• Like 1

Encouragement only gives you a :+fate to attack. Not damage as well, so it's not really comparable to Focus.

I have been using this wrong for a long time and no one has ever corrected me, wow.  But now that I'm looking at it I don't know how I would've ever read it as being  :+fate to attack & damage.  Encouragement reads gain a  :+fate to any duels resulting from the Action. Damaging isn't a duel...  

Edit: Every time I think that I'm playing this game correctly, I keep catching mistakes.  *sigh*

• Like 1

I have been using this wrong for a long time and no one has ever corrected me, wow.  But now that I'm looking at it I don't know how I would've ever read it as being  :+fate to attack & damage.  Encouragement reads gain a  :+fate to any duels resulting from the Action. Damaging isn't a duel...  

Edit: Every time I think that I'm playing this game correctly, I keep catching mistakes.  *sigh*

It'd be quite powerful if it did give a :+fate to damage as well. :D 

I think it would work for those as well since they can be triggered by you doing other actions.  For an example:

-Bayou Gremlin declares a Sh action on Teddy, and takes a wound for Encouragement

-Encouragement gives you the  :+fate to any duels resulting from the Sh action, of which there are 2: The horror duel and the attack flip. 

I think it would work for those as well since they can be triggered by you doing other actions.  For an example:

-Bayou Gremlin declares a Sh action on Teddy, and takes a wound for Encouragement

-Encouragement gives you the  :+fate to any duels resulting from the Sh action, of which there are 2: The horror duel and the attack flip. 

Exactly. 

The one that made me super excited to try Som'er out was dropping in a Sammy with Encouragement. Letting somer give himself focus for a damage... Buh. I don't love forcing Som'er into the summoner factory role- I think it's just a playstyle issue. But throwing him into the midfield bully looks to be very effective. (I haven't done it yet, but I've seen it happen.... fireworks)...

That's the kind of list and playstyle that I really like- limited debuffs (with toss slop) and major buffs to my units to make big damage happen. I dunno. Seems fun. :3

Som'er can definitely be run well in this configuration. I would strongly recommend assigning a few Piglet tenders to him to aid his mobility via "Pig Ladders" and the "Truffle Shuffle". The downside to this though is that you really are limiting a lot of his potency by going this route. You don't have to relegate him  to solely fueling the summon factory but it does provide a lot of advantages.

• 2 weeks later...

Hayou Bayou Fans

I am still feeling the So'mer love. I lost my last game but it was close and I am getting more comfortable with him. But when your summoning factory breaks down life is difficult (I am looking at you black joker, popping out in  two turns when trying to summon some piglets).

One lesson I leaned this latest game was: Bayou gremlins are amazing scheme runners ALL my VP came from the little guys work. So I will try to summon some more next time.

I have a question about survival of the fittest "big hand" effect. Lets say that after many gremlin shenanigans and survival of the fittest I have 10 card on my control hand. When a new turn starts do I need to discard the extra 4 cards I have?? Or I can just keep on increasing my hand? I can imagine that discarding some cards and getting new ones is out of the question.

regards

EZ  :ph34r: 

You can throw away any number of cards you want and then, if you have fewer cards than your hand size, you draw up to your hand size. After this, if you have more than your hand size, you discard down to your hand size. Your hand size is six but this can be modified by something like Arcane Reservoir. During your turn you may exceed your hand size but you never have more at the end of the draw phase. See page 34 of the big rulebook.

yet another question for you Bayou Fans

Lets say we have So'mer and skeeters, So'mer cast do it like this and gives rams to the crew. What happens if do it like this is cast by the skeeter? can you get two or three suits for your crew?? or basically the last replaces all??

EZ  :ph34r:

You can have multiple suits attacjhed to a value. Ypou may only declare 1 trigger, but you'll have a larger range of options on the humble Bayou.

Or if a model had critical strike then you could add multiple Rams. 1 from Sommer, 1 from Lenny, potentially 2 from each Skeetar, until you have stupid levels of daamge.

• Like 1