Feeling the So'mer Love

GremlEZ

Hello Bayou fans

I am back from my first official game and it was a blast (literally I was using Pere). From the beginning I felt in love with the gremlins and with the kin particularly. I got the bayou boss box only to get leny I did not even want to put So'mer together or even less paint it. But last week just by mistake a a bit of boredom I start reading his site on pullmy finger. Then I started thinking, mmm that sounds like fun, free bayou gremlins that can walk 10 or be converted into healthy :D piglets? my hat is bigger, that sounds like a lot of fun and what?? the boomer does 8BB on severe damage rams?? on top of that you can give the suit to the near models (8) with do it like this. This master is insanely good and fun to play.

So it was a 40SS game and I went against a heavy Hoffman crew with non other than the Railgolem on it. We had corner deployment, turf of war and I was doing line in the sand (declared) and plant explosives, my line-up was:

Gremlins Crew - 40 - Dustup

Somer Teeth Jones -- 4 Pool +Family Tree [2]

Bayou Gremlin [3]

Bayou Gremlin [3]

Gracie [10] +Saddle [1]

Lenny [9] +I'll Love it and Pet it... [1]

Pere Ravage [6]

Slop Hauler [5]

On the first turn I had 2 bayou gremlins more, on the second turn after some hunter shenanigans one of my gremlins left a marker on the Hoffman clump and got me 4VP on round two already. on the third tunr my line on the sand was almost ready and thanks to gracie and three piglets that were summoned on the previous turn I got another point from turf of war. On turn three the game was basically on my pocket, My opponent did not have enough activations to deal with all the models and tried to focus on gracie but she bit back and finally went down on round four. In the mean time with So'mer's boomer I took out hoffman and a hunter (8BB). The piglets were doing a lot of damage and one manage to push the rail golem(Ht4) 4 inch away. Those little guys are tough and the opponent needs to expend AP and cards tring to get rid of them. Best of all they come in for Free!

I will have my first tournament (three games in a row) next Saturday and I think I will bring this crew with some variations. I can also use ophelia and more of the kin if need but for the moment it will be PIGCHARGE!!!!!!

Regards

EZ :ph34r:

• Like 1

That's a good recipe.

I want all the Gremlins Masters (except Zoraida) as I love 'em lil' bugers.

Sommer is in my to-do list. I already have his crew, but I want to get to know the Kin a bit better before making the jump to another crew.

Still, great crew. Other than the piggies I already have all of that, so i can give that a shot.

funny you didnt use skitters, I believe they are great at carrying out Sommer's 0 AP tacticals at a distance.

Well skitter have insignificant, so they cannot leave markers so that is a no no for me. I prefer to invest 1 more on bayou gremlins and then So'mer can summon more gremlins and piglets. On the first turn you can have four gremlins or three gremlins and a piglet. The bayou gremlins also walk 5 so they are great for schemes, line in the sand, plant explosives, and/or break through. I have the feeling that a lot of people will ignore them which is great, they can go around doing their business. and If they get attacked your opponent will use AP and cards on them which afterwords can not be used against your heavy hitters. And if they get killed, then So'mer can summon more of them :P and they are ready to roll again. just try to keep one alive in the vicinity from So'mer. Leny's upgrade also allows him to quiet easily summon piglets on engagement range of enemies with support from cheating or do it like this from So'mer. so you can basically can clog your enemies advance and they are using all AP and cards against piglets (free piglets).

Just my two Bayou  cents

Yeap Hoffman has all those pesky loops and puppet activations,  I needed a way to stop that. So I used the great Brannigan strategy:

EZ(quoting Brannigan): "Now, like all great plans, my strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it. On my command all piglets will line up and file directly into Hoffman's crew, clogging them with wreckage." 

Piglet: Sir, I volunteer for a suicide mission! 

EZ: You're a brave piglet. But when I'm in command every mission is a suicide mission

• Like 1

Seems doable.

I am wrapping my head around having to face Lilith and a Tot and Nephilim heavy crew - My usual play buddy is getting her crew to start Malifaux (he was always partial for Deamons and I always loved 'em Greenskinz, innit).

Anyhoo, the only real tit for tat I see as having some chance over Lilith is the BrewMASTER with his poison shennanigans lowering Wp around and somehow helping to pass all those Wp duels that are sure to follow facing such Neverborn extraordinaire.

However, since i dont have the Brewmaster yet, and i dont like using proxies, I have to hit her in the face with something else.

When facing Lilith on a crew of Growth Nephilim (and let's imagine we get Reckoning and Breakthrough, for instance) I was thinking of doing this with Somer's crew :

Sommer

Lenny

Pere

Pigapult + 3 assorted bacon

Francois

bayou gremlin X3

Slop hauler

the reason i am starting already with 3 piglets is because i want to shower Lilith with Bacon on turn one to try and instagibb her in the early throes of the game.

If i Start pulling off Bacon out of Sommer that means that either he has to get an early go, so that the Pigapult can fire whilst they are (hopefully) still clumped together, or the first turn will have little bacon to sacrifice.

Starting off the piggies in close proximity to the pigapult will allow me to make Sommer Git yer bro + Focus + Blast once per turn (or summon piggy+ Focus + Blast).

Pere is really there as the "Break in case of fire" that will rush her and her Daemons if they get too close around turn 3 and send'em off in a Bang!

the slop hauler is just a slop hauler.

With pigapult break through is easy as hell, just activate the pigpult the last and send a gremling flying to the deployment area of your opponent (once they have moved out of course) and then the little guy will walk around and leave markers. this force your opponent to go back to kill him. Once he is down, just send another one until the deployment zone is clogged with scheme markers = 10000000000000VP

• Like 1

To Gremlez;

Though the list may be fun I think you are playing a bit dangerously with all the elite models you have there. Som'er really should bring at least one Skeeter and 3 Bayou Gremlin's. This does two things for the crew. First, the Skeeter allows Som'er to still support the crew while pushing the Summon Factory. Without a Skeeter he is really hampered in this capacity. Second, without the third Bayou Gremlin the summon factory runs the risk of being shut down early in the game.

To Kofibrake;

I would recommend dropping your "3 Assorted Bacon" in favor of only one (or better yet none) and just using Lenny to generate the piglet ammo you need by attacking the Pigapult with Whacked Piglets (assuming you take his upgrade) and relenting the attack. Your Slop Hauler shouldn't struggle to heal it back up after every activation (even if also using Encouragement). Might be worth mentioning as well (since your post seems to imply) that the Pigapult only requires 1 pig per activation to fire it's full compliment of 3 Bacon Barrages (it is not 1 pig per attack action). I am not a huge fan of the Stuffed Piglet as ammo since it reduces the accuracy.

• Like 2

I am wrapping my head around having to face Lilith and a Tot and Nephilim heavy crew - My usual play buddy is getting her crew to start Malifaux (he was always partial for Deamons and I always loved 'em Greenskinz, innit).

Lilith loathes Bigger Hat. Losing her hand is a horrible blow to her and with her Wp and with Bigger Hat's range, if she ever shows her face, go for it. Without cards to cheat with, she is extremely squishy herself and her whole (usual) crew becomes rather unreliable with the notable exception of the Mature Nephilim.

Be extremely wary of her swapping Lenny for something horrible with Tangle. Be always aware of the possibility and don't rely on Lenny. If she has Candy, be extra careful of this happening (swapping Lenny for Candy is a Gremlin's worst nightmare).

Also, Barbaros is horrible - his Challenge ability is awful and his Df Trigger makes Gremlins sad. Finally, if Lilith brings the Cherub, kill it with extreme prejudice. That thing is utterly horrible but luckily rather squishy.

• Like 1

Thanks omenbringer, as you can see I am very new and I did not pay much attention to the skeeters stats. but if they can be used to cast do like this is already worthy to have them. We are playing 40ss so the options are limited, and that is what makes this game interesting how to balance the crew for the best out come. I had been two time against hoffman, the first time he took out almost all my Kin units (but I got more VP). this time I just wanted to clog his construct machinery with piglets and out activate him.

Thanks omenbringer, as you can see I am very new and I did not pay much attention to the skeeters stats. but if they can be used to cast do like this is already worthy to have them. We are playing 40ss so the options are limited, and that is what makes this game interesting how to balance the crew for the best out come. I had been two time against hoffman, the first time he took out almost all my Kin units (but I got more VP). this time I just wanted to clog his construct machinery with piglets and out activate him.

Note that Skeeters are also awesome for "clogging machinery" since they are super fast and have an extremely high Df stat.
  • Like 1

To Kofibrake;

I would recommend dropping your "3 Assorted Bacon" in favor of only one (or better yet none) and just using Lenny to generate the piglet ammo you need by attacking the Pigapult with Whacked Piglets (assuming you take his upgrade) and relenting the attack. Your Slop Hauler shouldn't struggle to heal it back up after every activation (even if also using Encouragement). Might be worth mentioning as well (since your post seems to imply) that the Pigapult only requires 1 pig per activation to fire it's full compliment of 3 Bacon Barrages (it is not 1 pig per attack action). I am not a huge fan of the Stuffed Piglet as ammo since it reduces the accuracy.

Thanks Omenbringer.

here I was picturing Sommer as the Bacon and Gremlin factory, and forgotten all about the Whacked Piglet.

So the sequence could be:

Lenny whacks the pig towards pigapult, I relent the attack to make it "Huh, it survived..." in base contact, then when the Pigapult activates, I sacrifice said piggy to the bacon load and bombs away.

Of course, due to the armour on the 'pult, it shouldn't be much problem to keep it in place and the SS I saved on pigs will purchase me another Slop Hauler + Skeeter.

Will probably run skeeter up the board, next to a potential target that the pigapult will soften up, then hit it after the target gets his activation, cheat high to kill it and summon another Skeeter in place.

Rinse, repeat.

Lilith loathes Bigger Hat. Losing her hand is a horrible blow to her and with her Wp and with Bigger Hat's range, if she ever shows her face, go for it. Without cards to cheat with, she is extremely squishy herself and her whole (usual) crew becomes rather unreliable with the notable exception of the Mature Nephilim.

Be extremely wary of her swapping Lenny for something horrible with Tangle. Be always aware of the possibility and don't rely on Lenny. If she has Candy, be extra careful of this happening (swapping Lenny for Candy is a Gremlin's worst nightmare).

Also, Barbaros is horrible - his Challenge ability is awful and his Df Trigger makes Gremlins sad. Finally, if Lilith brings the Cherub, kill it with extreme prejudice. That thing is utterly horrible but luckily rather squishy.

Thanks Math

I can see you have shed your set of tears from facing Lilith.

Yeah, that is just a small example of what to expect when facing her. I have read the pullmyfinger page on her and my stomach is still churning.

So, start blasting the Cherub on first turn, summon copious amounts of Gremlins or pigs to Out-activate her, pull the Bigger Hat to discard hands and me engaging trollface due to Bayou two card after that.

Guess it sounds feasible, though I may have difficulty in pulling the same gag once they know the punchline. then again ...

So, start blasting the Cherub on first turn, summon copious amounts of Gremlins or pigs to Out-activate her, pull the Bigger Hat to discard hands and me engaging trollface due to Bayou two card after that.

You can even kill your own Gremlins for cards :)

Guess it sounds feasible, though I may have difficulty in pulling the same gag once they know the punchline. then again ...

Even if you don't get to pull it off twice, it means that Lilith needs to be extremely careful about positioning which can be just as big an asset as emptying her hand. Heck, depending on terrain (if you have lots of Ht 2 walls or rocks for example) you could even consider giving Somer Stilts so that he can see over Ht2 terrain :D The range on Bigger Hat is just ludicrous.
  • Like 1

Don't forget survival of the fittest, if a bayou gremlin is killed or turned into a piglet around So'mer it gives you two cards :D if you keep your gremlins around you can first get rid of her cards then turn gremlins into piglets plus four new cards in one turn. if you do it early on the turn you can benefit of hitting them without possibility of cheating. I think it might work best at the third or fourth turn. I think "bigger hat" has also a strong psychological component, so your opponent will be more ready to use the good cards, even against piglets or gremlins because they know you can get rid of the hand, so even if you don't use it they might end up empty handed before your heavy hitters start moving. at least it was my experience last game.

my two bayou cents

Also, and this is kind of card intensive but pretty great if you can pull it off:

-Som'er activates and discards a  :mask for Do it Like Dis!.  Bring in 3 Gremlins.

-Skeeter activates and casts Do it Like Dis! but this time drops a  :tome  .

-Lenny activates and uses whacked piglet twice on the 'pult and already has the suite built in for Huh, it survived.

If you can pull it off on turn one, you'll have 3 extra Bayou gremlins and 2 extra piglets.  Turn 2 you can kill off a couple of the gremlins for more ammo and additional cards with Survival of the Fittest.  Like I said, really card intensive and it may be difficult to get the cast off on the Skeeter but worth it.  One of those things where you look at your hand first turn to see if it's feasible.

Thanks Omenbringer.

here I was picturing Sommer as the Bacon and Gremlin factory, and forgotten all about the Whacked Piglet.

So the sequence could be:

Lenny whacks the pig towards pigapult, I relent the attack to make it "Huh, it survived..." in base contact, then when the Pigapult activates, I sacrifice said piggy to the bacon load and bombs away.

Of course, due to the armour on the 'pult, it shouldn't be much problem to keep it in place and the SS I saved on pigs will purchase me another Slop Hauler + Skeeter.

Will probably run skeeter up the board, next to a potential target that the pigapult will soften up, then hit it after the target gets his activation, cheat high to kill it and summon another Skeeter in place.

Rinse, repeat.

That is pretty much it. With Som'er in particular it is a bit easier since he can provide the required suit for Lenny's trigger (increasing the likely hood it will go off). With the double :-fate :-fate on the damage flip plus the Pigapults Armor it will never suffer more than the 1 point of damage that Bacon Load will heal.

Rather than another Slop Hauler I would hire another Bayou Gremlin and Skeeter.

• Like 1