two synergistic masters to start

zagdag

So I am just starting Malifaux (but tons of experience with other games) and have bought the ramos starter. Still learning the rules and everything else but I am looking at buying a second starter with two conditions :

1: it should contain something that I will actually want to use with ramos (since I am learning on him and think he will fit my play style)

2: should be playable out of the box so I can use it to teach friends to play and hopefully get a few more players out of it.

My current research leads me towards Rasputina, the ice golem apparently being used by some people with ramos. I have also looked at the rail crew (again for constructs) and the freicorps essentially only because they look awesome. I don't intend Malifaux to be a huge collection for me (its game system four for me) so I am not as concerned with wide options or covering every base in a tournament. Given that situation, what would people suggest starter as a second starter? Thanks for any help you got.

I can't believe I'm voluntarily saying this, but...I agree with zFiend. :D

It happens to the best of us.

C Hoffman is also a nice one but that means going into the guild faction. 

This is kinda true. Ramos doesn't need anything from Hoffman, but Hoffman can use the whole Ramos set very well.

Also, Guild is the best faction out there.

Mei's box set has lots of synergy in terms of sharing models ... but I'm not sure from your post if you wanted two masters to play against each other, or two box sets that can swap models between them to make more interesting crews.

If it's two matched pairs you are looking at, I'm not sure two Arcanist masters is the right idea 

In Faction, Ramos Probably would like the constructs From Rasputina and Mei. He might also like the Fire Gamin from Kaeris (currently only metal).

Colette and Marcus have little natural cross, btu you can happily use models between the sets. Ironsides may well synergise nicely if you focus on M&SU rather than Construct be she has no model at all

The spiders, Joss and Howard would work well with Mei and Kaeris. They aren't bad with Rasputina, but have no natural synergy.

Out of Faction, Hired swords (the Viks,) and Hired Guns (Von Schill) are Mercs, and he canm use them, but there is no natural synergy. And they couldn't use the stuff from the Ramos box

Hoffman can Use the RAmos box, but Ramos can't use his stuff.

I think that  sums up all the possible starter boxes that can mix with Ramos' starter.

In Faction, Ramos Probably would like the constructs From Rasputina and Mei. He might also like the Fire Gamin from Kaeris (currently only metal).

Colette and Marcus have little natural cross, btu you can happily use models between the sets. Ironsides may well synergise nicely if you focus on M&SU rather than Construct be she has no model at all

The spiders, Joss and Howard would work well with Mei and Kaeris. They aren't bad with Rasputina, but have no natural synergy.

Out of Faction, Hired swords (the Viks,) and Hired Guns (Von Schill) are Mercs, and he canm use them, but there is no natural synergy. And they couldn't use the stuff from the Ramos box

Hoffman can Use the RAmos box, but Ramos can't use his stuff.

I think that  sums up all the possible starter boxes that can mix with Ramos' starter.

You forgot Outcast -> Leveticus. With the Pariah of Iron upgrade he can use everything in the Ramos crew (constructs), but again, Ramos can't use his stuff.

• Like 1

zFiend is probably right. Ramos + Mei Feng work together really well. The only real downside is that Ramos can't take Kang but other than that and the Totems they can make good use out of each other's crew boxes. A friend of mine started with these two boxes and had a blast playing them until he lost his case. 

zFiend is probably right. Ramos + Mei Feng work together really well. The only real downside is that Ramos can't take Kang but other than that and the Totems they can make good use out of each other's crew boxes. A friend of mine started with these two boxes and had a blast playing them until he lost his case. 

My condolences to him on that. I'd hate that for any gamer, even the ones I don't like on a personal level.

On the subject at hand, they also do well sharing other constructs between each other: Mech Rider (filth :D ), Metal Gamin, Rail Golem, Large Arachnids, Arcane Effigy (Mei Feng more so than Ramos, but cheap condition removal is always useful for any crew), etc.

My condolences to him on that. I'd hate that for any gamer, even the ones I don't like on a personal level.

On the subject at hand, they also do well sharing other constructs between each other: Mech Rider (filth :D ), Metal Gamin, Rail Golem, Large Arachnids, Arcane Effigy (Mei Feng more so than Ramos, but cheap condition removal is always useful for any crew), etc.

The guy is a Grade A idiot, it's not much of a surprise. He lost 6 crews + additions to said crews. It's harsh but his own fault, he left it in a shop and walked out only to realize 45 minutes later and by that time it was long gone. 

You raise a good point, an even better point is that Hoffman also makes good use out of the M&SU Constructs. In fact he makes them better than if they were with Arcnanist crews. Gotta love those Modifications :D . In fact that is the only reason I own Metal Gamin and a Rail Golem although I do use them with Kaeris and Ramos from time to time. 

Cool, thanks for the responses everyone. My question was kinda two part: one, what crew would have good additions to ramos and two: would that crew also be fun to play against ramos' crew "out of the box"

Looking at mei and co last night it seems like on paper her box would make a fun match up mei being good against hordes and highly mobile with kang a brutal face to face for joss. Essentially attrition and synergistic brute force vs mobillity and surgical strikes. Is that fair to say that the boxes would match up well against eachother? Or is there a clear advantage to one side?

Cool, thanks for the responses everyone. My question was kinda two part: one, what crew would have good additions to ramos and two: would that crew also be fun to play against ramos' crew "out of the box"

Looking at mei and co last night it seems like on paper her box would make a fun match up mei being good against hordes and highly mobile with kang a brutal face to face for joss. Essentially attrition and synergistic brute force vs mobillity and surgical strikes. Is that fair to say that the boxes would match up well against eachother? Or is there a clear advantage to one side?

Depends on Strategy, and game size. Ramos is a beast in Reconnoitre, and the smaller the game, the better are summoners.